The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dremmel with wire wheel?
Yeah I suppose I could try something like that. I didn't think of many options after being so burnt on doing this all day but this is why I enjoy this form so much. Hopefully the paint that was exposed to the paint stripper will remain relatively weak and hopefully the dremel has enough umph behind it to get the paint lifted.

Well it took all day with paint stripper and a steel brush aaaannnndd I only got most of it...pretty bummed but this stuff is some serious paint. It's that rubbery/vinyl kind. May try again or just throw it on because I have no idea how I'm going to get in where it goes over the front cam caps.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Maybe something like these? Used a ton of them on my undercarriage and engine bay.

Yeah I suppose I could try something like that. I didn't think of many options after being so burnt on doing this all day but this is why I enjoy this form so much. Hopefully the paint that was exposed to the paint stripper will remain relatively weak and hopefully the dremel has enough umph behind it to get the paint lifted.
It should. I can cut through metal with mine

Doing fuel pump today. Walbro 255. Went to pull old one and noticed it too is a walbro 🤣🤣🤣🤷‍♂️ oh well newer is better right?

I trim mine for exhaust manifold bolt ease

Looks like what I do to all of mine too. Have you been peeking around my shop????? ROFL

I thought you were going to use easy off?
Well I tried two different paint strippers but it didn't react with the paint very well. The most they did was soften it at which point I began scrubbing with a small bristle brush which got 85% of it. Heck I put the thing out in the sun AND used a heat gun but it just wouldnt lift. The dremel is being used now to get the last little bits and crevices. If you want to ruin someone's day find whatever paint I'm dealing with and graffiti with it, they will never get it off.

It does make sense though why the paint stripper didn't want to react with it because it's that rubbery kind of paint not traditional stuff

Well I tried two different paint strippers but it didn't react with the paint very well. The most they did was soften it at which point I began scrubbing with a small bristle brush which got 85% of it. Heck I put the thing out in the sun AND used a heat gun but it just wouldnt lift. The dremel is being used now to get the last little bits and crevices. If you want to ruin someone's day find whatever paint I'm dealing with and graffiti with it, they will never get it off.

It does make sense though why the paint stripper didn't want to react with it because it's that rubbery kind of paint not traditional stuff
Not on the valve cover. Not safe for aluminum but on the cast iron manifold spray away

I think the manifold is rid of most of the oil, however, what is still left I'm pretty sure is just carbon build up. I don't think I have anything strong enough to break it up so might need to call a shop to see if they can. Although I feel like this is one of those cleaning jobs that's somewhat pointless since it will be back to having build up on it shortly thereafter

I think the manifold is rid of most of the oil, however, what is still left I'm pretty sure is just carbon build up. I don't think I have anything strong enough to break it up so might need to call a shop to see if they can. Although I feel like this is one of those cleaning jobs that's somewhat pointless since it will be back to having build up on it shortly thereafter
Can you cet a spinning wire brush and drill in there?

If I ever need rotary tool help I know who to call on haha. I think I could but I don't think I could get a stiff enough bristle brush through the entire length of each runner. Softer bristle brush would have more flex and give but I don't know if something such as a long, steel bristle brush would bend in the way of the shape of the runners. And I'm using softer bristle brushes by hand currently but not much luck, even with chemicals

If I ever need rotary tool help I know who to call on haha. I think I could but I don't think I could get a stiff enough bristle brush through the entire length of each runner. Softer bristle brush would have more flex and give but I don't know if something such as a long, steel bristle brush would bend in the way of the shape of the runners. And I'm using softer bristle brushes by hand currently but not much luck, even with chemicals
My dremel has done so much for me!

What kind of manifold is it? Stock? You should be able to find long bushes that would get in it.

You can soak it in laquer thinner for a night... but its nasty stuff

It doesnt have to be perfect. If you want perfect get it vapored.

I can honestly say that I underestimated the dremel haha. I may just look into getting it vapored because my luck has always been that what I slack on bites me later. So if I don't get it cleaned out very well then I'm going to have a piece of carbon in the turbine of my turbo haha no joke

It's not terrible, I'll take a picture later, but it's just throughout the length of each runner that coats it in a thin film. I've seen turbos get destroyed by small pieces of carbon before and I believe the film could produce pieces that would have the potential to at least cause damage over time worst case

Well at any time you can have a piece of carbon release from anywhere in the combustion chamber, behind the exhaust valves, or from the manifold itself. You have zero control over when something might release, so you're peppering the turbine wheel quite constantly with chunks of carbon. Unavoidable. For those on pump gas, the amount of "engine cleaning detergents" also increases the buildup.
Cleaning the manifold and exhaust ports isn't a bad idea when you can, but it's mainly to restore the original volume. If something hit the turbine blade and caused damage, it had to have enough mass to do so, and carbon flakes ain't it.

Side conversation: Direct injection engines have this problem constantly on the intake side because there's no port injection cleaning the valves. Some cars actually require the IM be removed and the intake ports manually cleaned. There's another way around that sometimes, and it's the 'italian tuneup', but I can only imagine what my CX5's intake ports look like now that i've got 100k+ km (>60k mi) on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back