The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah and I didnt trust that logic which is why I turned to looking at the data sheet. I have heard of using the oven cleaner but with it being lye as well you are still subject to the adverse effects of the chemical. I figured with the drain cleaner I could at least have better and more even coverage with it being a powder (I did not preface this but the oil is on the inside of the manifold, not exterior). I'm not opposed to taking it to a shop to be cleaned but its an hour away. Just looking into ways I can resolve the issue on my end but don't really like the chance I could be taking with all that has been said.

Edit - looking more into it, though, it seems that sodium hydroxide does not react with cast iron. It has the potential to degrade finishes but I'm not too worried about the "finish" of the inside of the runners. I will look more into it but it seems like a decent route to try and report back on with findings

Last edited:
Well gotta clean out more gasket maker on the INSIDE of where the gaskets go. The last people used so much of that stuff if it was worth it's weight in gold...well I couldn't retire but I could get a good chunk of change

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah and I didnt trust that logic which is why I turned to looking at the data sheet. I have heard of using the oven cleaner but with it being lye as well you are still subject to the adverse effects of the chemical. I figured with the drain cleaner I could at least have better and more even coverage with it being a powder (I did not preface this but the oil is on the inside of the manifold, not exterior). I'm not opposed to taking it to a shop to be cleaned but its an hour away. Just looking into ways I can resolve the issue on my end but don't really like the chance I could be taking with all that has been said.

Edit - looking more into it, though, it seems that sodium hydroxide does not react with cast iron. It has the potential to degrade finishes but I'm not too worried about the "finish" of the inside of the runners. I will look more into it but it seems like a decent route to try and report back on with findings
Correct. It's fine on cast iron.

I have some of those oem washers laying around if needed. I also have a few sets of the squirters as well. Lmk how many you need and I'll send them thru.
Thanks but if I have to order any, I'll just make sure I have enough to last me a lil bit. At .75c CAD a washer it will cost more in shipping than product itself
Well gotta clean out more gasket maker on the INSIDE of where the gaskets go. The last people used so much of that stuff if it was worth it's weight in gold...well I couldn't retire but I could get a good chunk of change

eep paint on the underside of the valve cover.
Oil and combustion byproducts will release that paint over time right into the head and into the pan
Don't be surprised when you see little bits of red paint make it into your oil filter after bypassing the pickup screen :p

Well I put some heat tape on the water pipe and lower intercooler pipe since the dump tube runs close to it. I ordered a new radiator and fan setup along with Redline supercool with water wetter. Since I was making the engine bay cooler I got some cerakote to coat all the exhaust components, plus I got a turbo blanket for my hx35. I should be running cooler for the Florida heat.

Last weekend I decided to redo my headliner, visors, and interior trim. I pulled everything out opened up the visors to paint them and put led lights in them, wrapped the visors, headliner, and passenger airbag cover in black suede, and changed all the trim colors to black. While I was at it I replaced the broken sunroof rail with a new one. Being this was my 1st time doing upholstery I'm amazed of how good it turned out.

I'd recommend picking up a roll of Fel-Pro Kerropak. It's a chemically treated gasket paper for making your own random gaskets. It doesn't have the rigidity of the OEM gasket material but if you're sandwiching between two flat surfaces, it's great for lots of uses.
Sometimes a razor thin skim of grey RTV on the gasket paper is the sealing touch for things like J-pipe gaskets.

Today I added my GPS sensor to my Link Voodoo ECU so I can log a clean speed signal. Managed to do it in a way that no holes had to be drilled in my dash so I'm pleased. Tested it and happy to report that it works fantastic.

Threw in the fuel pressure regulator I had stashed for a while, Cuse I got the Precision Turbo Engineering 1000cc injectors put in this weekend. Got the idle down, gonna b logging & tuning while I drive around alittle today!! 🤘🤘🤘

I'd recommend picking up a roll of Fel-Pro Kerropak. It's a chemically treated gasket paper for making your own random gaskets. It doesn't have the rigidity of the OEM gasket material but if you're sandwiching between two flat surfaces, it's great for lots of uses.
Sometimes a razor thin skim of grey RTV on the gasket paper is the sealing touch for things like J-pipe gaskets.
I ordered a roll last night after reading this. Thanks!

eep paint on the underside of the valve cover.
Oil and combustion byproducts will release that paint over time right into the head and into the pan
Don't be surprised when you see little bits of red paint make it into your oil filter after bypassing the pickup screen :p
After thinking about this and all the parts the paint chips will run through before it makes it to the oil filter, I'm going to strip the paint from the inside today. Just run it bare after that, or is there usually some type of coating on the inside? I know it will be exposed to oil constantly but I didn't know if something coated it from the factory.

Bare aluminum

The most overspray I ever saw on a factory cover was limited to the valley where the gasket sits. Otherwise the underside should be free of anything that might release.

Bare aluminum

The most overspray I ever saw on a factory cover was limited to the valley where the gasket sits. Otherwise the underside should be free of anything that might release.
Well I appreciate you saying something prior to me installing it! I would be dumbfounded when I pulled off the oil filter for the first oil change and see the red paint flakes haha.

Mounted the intermediate shaft to the motor so it was there when I am switching out motors after we installed the new bearing kit in it. That wasn't as much of a deal as I thought but I did dent the large seal, hence the extra RTV. Modded the exhaust gasket to work with a 2g head and the larger outside studs also. As soon as the shop bay is clear, the Red 90 Talon will go in.
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back