The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Weight Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20-25 repetitions is too many. If you like it, that's fine, but it will limit your overall gains. It is good, however, that you are making sure you are comfortable with a weight before moving on.

So, I should ask since you only mentioned arms and shoulders, are you practicing your squats? Are you using the leg press? And what for your back?

You should lay out your exercise routine more clearly for us. The cardio looked dandy. I wouldn't want my HR that high, personally, but if you're not slowing down or experiencing any discomfort then rock out! Everyone is different.

I used to be in great shape - but I was a teenager and it just came naturally. Haha. Now that I can't be outside 24/7 moving, running, and having fun my body has faded off, :p so to speak. Cardio was never an issue for me and the high heart rate feels natural. No head-rushes, flashes, or anything like that which other people relay when they get their heart rate too high.

I do fail to mention a bit. I am using the leg press at the same reps, 20-25 at about 100lbs in steady and fluid reps. No jerking or stomping it, or holding an extension, just working it and letting the muscles burn. It's getting too easy so I'll be bumping up the weight this week.

As for back I am unaware of any exercises for the back? What would you recommend? Any actual workout routine suggestions would be great at this point as I've gotten the eating in portions and balancing it down. Plenty of protein, lots of water, stay away from high amounts of sugar and sodium, and a ton of salad. If I feel I haven't taken in the right amount of vitamins I'll pop a multi-vitamin. :)

Ok. You need a routine.

How long are you in the gym for? How long do you have for your cardio and how long for your weights?

If you're going 5 days a week, the first, and most simple routine for me to conjure is the 5-day split.

e.g.
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders/Abs
Friday - Arms

Chest
Barbell Bench Press 3x15
Incline Dumbbell Press @ 35* 3x15
Pec-Dec 3x15

Back
Wide-Grip Pull Ups 3x15
Barbell Row 3x15
Dumbbell Row 3x15
Deadlift 3x6

Legs
Squats 3x15
Leg Curl 3x15
Leg Extension 3x15
Standing Calf Raise 3x15

Shoulders
Military Press 3x15
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3x15
Dumbbell Reverse Flye 3x15
Hanging Leg Raise 3x15
Twisting Crunch 3x15

Arms
Barbell Curl 3x15
Lying Tricep Extension 3x15
Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curl (supinated) 3x15
Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x15
Alternating Hammer Curl 3x15
Tricep Pressdown w/ rope 3x15

That's just a sample routine that will provide results. Fine tuning is up to the user, for instance, perhaps you cannot perform an adequate number of poullups. Then substitute pullups for wide grip pull downs, instead. Similarly, if you wrapped up your back day with deadlifts, you find it impossible to squat the following day if you are going to train your legs.

There is one rule of thumb that an old mentor tried to impress upon me, but failed; pull twice as much as you push. That's why you see an extra back exercise in there. It's important for proper body proportions, functionality and alignment.

Also, this may be highly arguable, but I would never get a beginner to do front delt-specific exercises like Front Raises, etc. As a beginner, your front delts will be getting hammered, and of all muscles groups will be the most likely to be over trained. But down be afraid to hit your shoulders, the safety is already built into the routine.

..and then again you might like a 3 day split that you repeat twice in a week.. personal preference.

Here is a resource that will describe how to perform a majority of exercises.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/list/index/selected/a

Good, I was hoping there was a link in there, otherwise I was about to spend 2 hours on google figuring out what these exercises were. :p

I believe I'll go ahead and print this out and give this routine a try for a couple of weeks to see how it effects me.

I really appreciate this - without end. It's the direction I've been needing.

For cardio, I would try to lower the heartrate down a notch. Heartrate is a good indicator of stress. I wonder since you are getting back into it if your body is stressed or shocked to all of a sudden be working hard again. I've experienced that before, I'm sure it will settle with time.

Here's a good article on cardio from a trainer to a car guy. ;)
Keeping Jenson Button fit for Formula 1 | YallaF1.com

Sounds good. Be sure to give as much feedback as you can. Maybe even keep a log for each workout; what you did, how you performed, how you felt before/after, has your weight changed, has your strength improved, have you hit a PR today (personal record), etc.

That way we can best tailor that stamped workout to your needs.

For cardio, I would try to lower the heartrate down a notch. Heartrate is a good indicator of stress. I wonder since you are getting back into it if your body is stressed or shocked to all of a sudden be working hard again. I've experienced that before, I'm sure it will settle with time.

Here's a good article on cardio from a trainer to a car guy. ;)
Keeping Jenson Button fit for Formula 1 | YallaF1.com

Thanks for the second opinion! I agree about the HR being high.
From the link:
"Spend a maximum of 10 minutes warming up. So, if cycling, start with an easy, constant and regular pace, just to loosen up muscles, get them used to the exercise, and also to allow the mind to focus on the next 45 minutes, allowing for a final, five-minute cool-down.
Race winner Jenson Button (GBR) McLaren celebrates in parc ferme. Formula One World Championship, Rd 4, Chinese Grand Prix, Race, Shanghai, China, Sunday 18 April 2010.

Jenson celebrates victory in the Chinese GP earlier this year

With cardiovascular endurance, there are three levels – firstly, base endurance; aim to get the heart at around 120 to 135 beats per minute for about 45 minutes – or, ideally, longer. That's really good for weight-loss, as well as minimising injury, because the body is operating at quite a low intensity.

The next level is at a slightly higher intensity, which allows to build strength and endurance on the bike. So that would be in the heartbeat region of 145-160bpm. One may see a little increase in weight by doing it, due to an increase in muscle bulk, but also a gain in strength from it, too.

The final level is maximum endurance, which should only be sustained for around five minutes, because it's very intense. On a bike, that would be similar to pedaling hard up a very steep hill. The previous two levels will complement one's ability to perform and sustain this level of exercise as they provide the foundations for cardiovascular strength and endurance."

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger that. Shouldn't be hard to start keeping a log. The biggest issue so far that I have gotten into check was getting it worked into my weekly routine. Now that it's something that I have set for a time and actually look forward to doing it, I'm relaxed and can get more things done opposed to feeling rushed or anxious.

I'll start tonight and try to get an update by Monday on a little bit of a pattern. Also might try to start keeping a food journal, not sure if that would be worth the time, though, as I know I have cut my intake to a 1/4 of what it used to be.

So, hm. I suppose I just assumed that the harder you're working the more you're getting done. Hah. The higher HR seems natural to me, but would dropping my HR to the 145 area really promote more weight loss than keeping my body pumping and the resistance at a level that I have to try? Otherwise I could just jog in place for 45 minutes and get the same effect..?

I guess I don't understand how doing something easy promotes burning weight when you can do it hard for the same amount of time. With more effort you need more energy to perform the task, and more energy = stored fat, correct?

So, hm. I suppose I just assumed that the harder you're working the more you're getting done. Hah. The higher HR seems natural to me, but would dropping my HR to the 145 area really promote more weight loss than keeping my body pumping and the resistance at a level that I have to try? Otherwise I could just jog in place for 45 minutes and get the same effect..?

I guess I don't understand how doing something easy promotes burning weight when you can do it hard for the same amount of time. With more effort you need more energy to perform the task, and more energy = stored fat, correct?

Really good question, here's a quote from Jenson's trainer from a Men's Health article, sounds like you might have a little competitive bug in you as well XiKeiyaZI:
Yes, everything is a competition with him. When I first started with him, training had to be flat-out 100% at all times. This presents problems in terms of injury risk, and also that it fails to improve low-level base endurance. At the start of a race, Jenson’s heart rate will spike at around 170bpm, but this settles down to around 130bpm for the next 90 minutes. Cardiovascular endurance is useful to get Jenson through the duration of the race, and now we concentrate less on maximum heart rate work, he has less injuries.

Interesting. Just Kei is fine, by the way. :)

So I can understand how that would effect my low level endurance and whatnot - but because I am not pushing myself harder am I not losing/shedding as much weight as I could be in that hour length of time? I mean, I can go 170 for an hour and not even think about it. My mental endurance to keep going is ridiculous, I've never had a problem pushing myself beyond normal limits like that. This, though, isn't even really an issue. I have no negative setbacks like head rushes or health issues afterwards. Then again if keeping my heart rate lower is going to increase or produce the same results as keeping my heartrate at 170 then I'll drop it.

Lowering your HR would be a good idea. 145 is a great place to be.

Remember about walking through the desert vs. whatever the example was? Walking is still king for fat loss, but since we can't walk 30 hours in a day to burn an effective amount of calories we compromise. Meet running.

If you run too hard all the time you might be burning less fat overall than a more moderate regimen. Not to mention the injury factor or using too much muscle for energy.

If you still just can't jive with that and you want to just effing kill it all the time then you need to be introduced to HIIT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training Not the best description, if you ask me, but it gets the point across. I find this to be the most effective form of fat-loss oriented cardio for myself.

Sprint, jog, sprint, jog, sprint, jog?

I think when you wake up for the day you should determine what you want to focus on whether increasing endurance or focusing on speed / high heart rate cardio.
I run two trail routes. First route is about 2 or 3 miles depending on different paths with a shorter but steep hill- I will usually do speed / high heart rate runs on that. Second, there's a 5 mile route with a long 3 mile uphill climb- which is medium cardio. I usually opt for the second choice because speed work on trails suck, plus I can only listen to only a handful of songs on the shorter run. :(

225 for 25 last night bitches!

Yeah, can't do that. ;P Not even once I bet.

I totally forgot to update this thread by the way!

I dropped 7.5 lbs, and then it slowed down. I'm gaining a lot of muscle, though.. it's kind of odd for me I suppose? I've literally put on about an inch around my upper arms. I've also put on a lot of very noticeable tone there. There are several muscles in my forearms, shoulders, back, and the top/outer areas of my chest which are starting to build mass.

I'm slimming down slowly, but upper body and legs are starting to tone faster than I want? Uh.....I'm a little lost I suppose. Maybe I shouldn't be curling as much weight as many times as I am.

The best weight loss is slow and steady. You never want to dramatically drop weight unless you're weighing in at an event and it is required that you be a certain weight. Even then I wouldn't recommend this drop (Think "The Master Cleanse, or Lemonade Diet"

As for curling the weight, what will give you mass is the increase of weight used. So if you remained at xxlbs then no matter how many reps you do, you will maintain that xxlbs mass at peaked growth. If you're still feeling the sensation of bulking up (IE: thicker, better toned muscles) then what you are doing is increasing the overall force you can exert with the muscle over time, and not increasing strength, but endurance. Which means you're remain the same size, just acquire better definition to the muscle, shaping it better.

I didn't get to read through the whole thread, but I will in a second, Just wanted to say there are some extremely valid points in the first few posts.

In my honest opinion, HIIT isn't for everyone. It can be REALLY sapping, and even if your diet/nutrition is slightly off, it will be very detrimental to the trainee.

Compound movements are your best friends when it comes to weight loss. you're using more energy since more muscles are involved in your training.

A great website to use is ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net which I found to be awesome when I was developing programs for my clients a year ago.

What worked miracles for me with 1hr training 6 days a week were

Dive bomber push ups (or gypsy push ups?)
Burpees
Bucket squat to high box jump
Plank
Pull ups

Had I continued that routine I'd be shredded.

If you aren't allergic you should invest in natural nuts for times when you get a craving. They're a great source of vitamins and minerals, coupled with water, a handful or two will be enough to fuel you enough til your next meal. Fruits will be a great alternative to a snack as long as your magnesium levels are good enough to convert the sugars you're getting which can turn into fat.

As a recommendation, I would say you should ingest 1/3 of your weight in grams of protein. IMO anything extra isn't used, and ironically can be turned into fat which works against you. (If you're not working that hard to shred your muscles completely to use up all these grams when in excess of 1/3(weight), then it'll happen).

If anyone feels I have given wrong information please let me know. Its been awhile since I had my equinox knowledge expressed. But I enjoy learning about fitness AT ALL TIMES.

(I'll post again after I'm done with a responsibility I have here)

eff that.. :D

It's my goal. I've hit 15 before but I was sweating bullets. I wasn't built for endurance, so I've avoided building any :shhh:
Wait, did I mention that all 225x25 claims must be accompanied by video? Jk, good job bro.

But seriously, post the video.. :D

Yeah, can't do that. ;P Not even once I bet.

I totally forgot to update this thread by the way!

I dropped 7.5 lbs, and then it slowed down. I'm gaining a lot of muscle, though.. it's kind of odd for me I suppose? I've literally put on about an inch around my upper arms. I've also put on a lot of very noticeable tone there. There are several muscles in my forearms, shoulders, back, and the top/outer areas of my chest which are starting to build mass.

I'm slimming down slowly, but upper body and legs are starting to tone faster than I want? Uh.....I'm a little lost I suppose. Maybe I shouldn't be curling as much weight as many times as I am.

Trust me, you're not getting too huge.

MUSH!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
eff that.. :D

It's my goal. I've hit 15 before but I was sweating bullets. I wasn't built for endurance, so I've avoided building any :shhh:
Wait, did I mention that all 225x25 claims must be accompanied by video? Jk, good job bro.

But seriously, post the video.. :D

Trust me, I'd like to get it on video. Problem is, I recently switched gyms, and I don't really have any spotters I trust, so I work out every day with my fiance. She's actually a great spotter, but I couldn't ask her to spot and shoot the video at the same time LOL.

It sucks though, because I don't like going over 315 with her spotting, because A. anything can happen, and B. I don't want to burden her with having to try to lift a lot more than she can handle. It short changes me, because I kind of have to limit how much I push myself. For example, the day that 225 for 25 came out of freaking nowhere, I also did 315 X 4 in which I know I could have gotten 5, possibly 6, but it's tough to push past limits without a spotter you know can lift the weight on their own if need be.

I'll see what I can do to get some vids though.

For now, here is a vid from a little over 6 months ago of me doing 330 in a local competition:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cQiYZelRi4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty impressive. The most I've ever done is like 11 or 12, and that was a few years ago. My max is only like 285 (I weigh about 180-185) and that was a few years ago also. I'm more in maintenance mode right now, since the amount of sleep I get is erratic and I go before work at 5:30am.

I met a guy at the gym a few years ago. He was about 5-8 and weighed like 160lbs. I spotted him a few times when he would bench 355 for like 3 reps....

Trust me, I'd like to get it on video. Problem is, I recently switched gyms, and I don't really have any spotters I trust, so I work out every day with my fiance. She's actually a great spotter, but I couldn't ask her to spot and shoot the video at the same time LOL.

It sucks though, because I don't like going over 315 with her spotting, because A. anything can happen, and B. I don't want to burden her with having to try to lift a lot more than she can handle. It short changes me, because I kind of have to limit how much I push myself. For example, the day that 225 for 25 came out of freaking nowhere, I also did 315 X 4 in which I know I could have gotten 5, possibly 6, but it's tough to push past limits without a spotter you know can lift the weight on their own if need be.

I'll see what I can do to get some vids though.

Completely understand. When in that situation, I take my chances with the dude I'm most comfortable with and say only "No touch. I will signal." But even that has backfired once.

For now, here is a vid from a little over 6 months ago of me doing 330 in a local competition:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cQiYZelRi4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is some WICKID 330. So much control and power. You may not have had the steam to rep it out but the support structure is built and ready for it.
How tall are you? If you don't mind, that is. And do you use a rather neutral, close or wide grip for your benches?

Oh, and does your squat match your bench? ;)

Last edited:
Completely understand. When in that situation, I take my chances with the dude I'm most comfortable with and say only "No touch. I will signal." But even that has backfired once.

Yeah, most people can't spot for shit. It sometimes actually psych's me out mentally when someone unfamiliar is spotting me.

That is some WICKID 330. So much control and power. You may not have had the steam to rep it out but the support structure is built and ready for it.
How tall are you? If you don't mind, that is. And do you use a rather neutral, close or wide grip for your benches?

Oh, and does your squat match your bench? ;)

Thanks. I'm like 5-9, 5-10 depending on who's measuring LOL I was 179 in the video, weighed myself last night and I was 187. I grip just slightly farther than shoulder width, so I go a little narrower than most.

As far as my squat, it's 'decent' but not good. So far I've hit 385 ass to heels, but I used to be an idiot and I never trained legs. When I started training legs finally, I had a hard time with 225, so I have come a long way, but it's still very much a work in progress.

My deadlift is pretty strong though. I pulled 500 from the ground, and my 'off the rack' deadlift is pretty sick. Kinda tells me that my back is stronger than my legs, which I kind of expect for right now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back