The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

tranny went out... wtf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfiniteGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Tijeras, New_Mexico
I seem to be having major issues with this car. I was leaving a red light, into green... the car for the past month has been sometimes making this loud clicking sound, not snow clicking, like puting a stick in the spokes of a bike... just gets faster and faster with the rpm's. and this time it did it loud and then boom, tons of grinding sounds comming from the engine compartment and the car bounced around. I stopped and looked around and didn't see any holes. so I started to drive away, and It felt like the final drive gear had some shered teeth. Because the car would move... then stop unless I could get lucky and it would start moving again. Then it just stopped moving, I had to coast to my friends house.

now when I start the car, it sounds like the car is diesil now because of the noises under the hood (not engine noises) and if I try to put it into gear, it grinds like no other and is hard to get into gear, even with the clutch its making these noises. then I let off the clutch and the grinding noise gets loud as hell! and the car vibrates to this. so it kinda feels like a royaly ####ed final drive gear or something, maybe the pins that hold the final drive gear into place broke so its just laying inside the gearbox or something.... About to pull the tranny out asap and try and find another tranny for free or cheap. I'm soo broke as it is, I can't even pay for gas to get to work... how am I supposed to fix this car now?!?!?! I think I am going to have to quit my job now. I've allready missed half a week of work because of the wheel stud/hub problem. When I get the car fixed, I am off... then it breaks right before I have to go back to work.

Dang man, if it makes you feel any better I just got done pulling my transmission a few days ago. It's not THAT hard and I will be more than happy to walk you through it.:thumb:

Xmasta is also just starting to pull his tranny. The problem he had sounds alot like yours, he described it as his car sounding like hell haha.

Anyways, it's weird how all of this tranny stuff is happening. I believe it was Baxsom who was pulling his for whatever reason, then me, Xmasta and now you..WHO'S NEXT?!ROFL

DSMcrazy3 said:
Dang man, if it makes you feel any better I just got done pulling my transmission a few days ago. It's not THAT hard and I will be more than happy to walk you through it.:thumb:

Xmasta is also just starting to pull his tranny. The problem he had sounds alot like yours, he described it as his car sounding like hell haha.

Anyways, it's weird how all of this tranny stuff is happening. I believe it was Baxsom who was pulling his for whatever reason, then me, Xmasta and now you..WHO'S NEXT?!ROFL
Seriously, WTF is going on here? ####ing DSMs'! Anyways, if its anything like the Stratus I did not that long ago, it should be easy. Hopefully I dont cut my hand open this time, like last time, that left me scar'd.

But anyways, I would like to breeze right through this, so please. all input needed and wanted and apretiated! what would be the quickest and easiest way to pull that hunk of metal out? I think the tranny has allready been pulled, thats why she's dead. Cause there were bolts that just fell off in my hand and there are still some loose ones on the bel. Its nuts. But I just want to put the new one in and never have to worry about it. So I need to get the old one out as quick and easy as possible. the new one, I'll take my time and put all the detail I can into it. I got a garrage for 50 bucks a month... So thats fine. Heated too if I can get a good heater for it, I didn't have much problem heating it when I lived in that damn garrage. haha, yeah I lived in a garrage, next to my car! Isn't that pitiful. Anyways.

I'm still having the hub problem, so I'm gonna have to dismantle most of the driverside front suspension to get the axle to have some play in it, so I can pull the driverside axle out.

Damn, I have a job... about to get a second being a driver... which requires me to use my car. I'm probably going to have to deni it and quit my other job because I dont want to be fired. I owe the court house on the 16th, 50 bucks minimum. I also have to find a way to get my cell phone paid. and a bunch of other bills... and I can't because my car wont allow me to work. Maybe its trying to warn me into something... haha like a Final Destination type of crap!

Well tomorow... err today, this morning comming up my friend (where the car is parked) is going to call someone he knows to see if he has a tranny that I can make a deal with him on. I gotta come up with the 50 bucks to park the car in thier garrage. And as soon as I get the car in the garrage, I'm going to start unbolting shit. The rear torque strut is allready unbolted, since it seems to never have been bolted in the entire time I've owned the car.

So maybe tomorow I'll start by pulling the hood off and wheels... But if not, the day after... sunday! So pretty soon.

I don't know, But this is the same reason my car is down and I just pulled the tranny out. I pulled out and shifted from 1st to 2nd, And that's when it happen. It sounded like a baseball card in bike spokes, Only in 2nd gear. Then before I pulled it, You can actually hear it at idle too. Because of this, I'm getting a fully built tranny with lsd though =D I still do not know exactly what is wrong with it, But it's laying next to the car.

DSMcrazy3 said:
-Josh
'97 Eclipse GS
Hmm... Both Josh's... Both having Transmission Problems... I think god has a sense of humor, or has a grudge against Josh's....

1993eclipseGS said:
I don't know, But this is the same reason my car is down and I just pulled the tranny out. I pulled out and shifted from 1st to 2nd, And that's when it happen. It sounded like a baseball card in bike spokes, Only in 2nd gear. Then before I pulled it, You can actually hear it at idle too. Because of this, I'm getting a fully built tranny with lsd though =D I still do not know exactly what is wrong with it, But it's laying next to the car.
Yeah well screw you too! JP hehe... Well here's the thing. a month ago I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and then my car made a pop noise. Then that baseball card in bike spokes sound started. Then it went away, Every once in a while if you beat on the car, it would do this in like 1st and a little in 2nd. This time I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and it was allready making this noise, but extreamly loud, and it didn't fade away like usual. and then Pop, the car felt like something broke in the driveline, it still moved. until I guess it finished itself off. But the car ended up having to roll about 2 miles down hill in the middle of Albuquerque, NM! People honking at me pushing the car, running red lights just so I dont have to stop. It was hell.

I wish I could afford a fully built tranny, even just a tranny with LSD! Someone please donate me one! PWEEEEZE! I'll give you something!

Why the hood? A small list I can come up with would be..

remove the battery and battery tray
take off your intake
Shift linkage cotter pins and pull the linkage off the arms on the tranny
unbolt the brackets holding the linkage to the tranny(I didn't realize I needed to do that, and it was the only thing holding the transmission on the car/pissing me off haha)
remove the lower crossmember and lower motor mount on the transmission
remove the slave cylinder(some brake fluid will leak out when the banjo bolt is removed)
pull the Axles(if you haven't drained the tranny fluid...this willLOL )
Disconnect upper and lower radiator hoses
Support the motor with a jack(place a block of wood between the jack and oil pan)
Remove the nuts holding the mounts on.(2 on passenger side mount 3 on driver side mount) There is one more mount on the back. There are 2 bolts holding it on to the transmission. one next to the other, same size. You'll know what I'm talking about.
Lower the jack to lower the engine/tranny a bit.
Start unbolting the bellhousing.(have something supporting the transmission if you're on your own. Otherwise have a friend there with you to help so it doesn't fall).

So it doesn't Fall... once I pull this ####er, I'm throwing it! haha! Actually, I know I'm not going to use it, but I'm going to strip it and see if its repairable, so I can possibly build the tranny up at a later date.

I can't visulize these things having a reason... but plus I'm tired so humor me...

Slave Cyl... Why?
Coolant Hoses... Why?

DSMcrazy3 said:
Especially when you don't capitalize his name, "God". Yet capitalize your own LOL /:toobad: hehe
Noted!

1993eclipseGS said:
Taking the hood off would give more room to work with, And more lighting. =) You'll learn to do it when the hood falls on your head and you take it off and throw it.
Or take a bat to it, and then after your happy with your mayhem, you realize that the hood you just took your anger out on, is actually the one belonging to your girlfriends car. So in return, she deprives you of sex for a few months right after the dirt plate on the belhousing cuts a gigantic gash in your hand. So now your just screwed!

InfiniteGSX said:
Slave Cyl... Why?

You want to reuse it. If you're replacing the transmission you'll have to get it off, if it's being rebuilt it might as well come off. There's really no need for it to stay on there. It's just something that could get in the way or even broken, it might even be bolted to the block, I can't remember

InfiniteGSX said:
Coolant Hoses... Why?

You have to lower the motor, the radiator stays in the same place. They might be able to flex enough, I didn't want to risk it though.

DSMcrazy3 said:
You want to reuse it. If you're replacing the transmission you'll have to get it off, if it's being rebuilt it might as well come off. There's really no need for it to stay on there. It's just something that could get in the way or even broken, it might even be bolted to the block, I can't remember

You have to lower the motor, the radiator stays in the same place. They might be able to flex enough, I didn't want to risk it though.
Thanks. I think its time for bed. Been up all damn day and now I'm just a zombie!

Yeah I guess your right, slave cyl should come off... but I think I can pull it off without unhooking it. But then again, I think its hooked up to hard lines... I should try and replace these hard lines with steel braided lines. I got the hook up on that stuff!

DSMcrazy3 said:

iam pulling mine because i am installing a LSD and stronger axles

Well HEY, gives the Josh's one less thing to worry about after boost! That tranny SHOULD hold up for you nicely. I'm sure it'll feel much better to drive also, the wear and tear on your factory trans won't feel beter then the new one I can tell ya that... Sorry to hear about that, good luck with the install though. :thumb: I'll leave it to DSMcrazy to walk ya through it....

1993eclipseGS said:
Taking the hood off would give more room to work with, And more lighting. =) You'll learn to do it when the hood falls on your head and you take it off and throw it.
Amen to that one. Hurts like hell when it happens.
Mike

Blitzeclips said:
Well HEY, gives the Josh's one less thing to worry about after boost! That tranny SHOULD hold up for you nicely. I'm sure it'll feel much better to drive also, the wear and tear on your factory trans won't feel beter then the new one I can tell ya that... Sorry to hear about that, good luck with the install though. :thumb: I'll leave it to DSMcrazy to walk ya through it....
No Shit! I was just kinda hopeing that this tranny would have atleast lasted me long enough to build up some money before I do it. I knew it was going to die, just a matter of time.

InfiniteGSX said:
No Shit! I was just kinda hopeing that this tranny would have atleast lasted me long enough to build up some money before I do it. I knew it was going to die, just a matter of time.

Same here. Sad thing is, the last night, I was driving and I started noticing more and more play in the shifter. Then I turned the car off, when I went to turn it back on..I had nothin:cry:

DSMcrazy3 said:
Same here. Sad thing is, the last night, I was driving and I started noticing more and more play in the shifter. Then I turned the car off, when I went to turn it back on..I had nothin:cry:
Wait, last night? Or the last night you had a tranny? haha... Thats weird tho.

My tranny had been having problems for awhile, I've just been so used to downtime with my car this past year that I'm just now starting to finally work on it again LOL It took me forever to find a replacement transmission. You guys talkin bout you're little problems, some clicking here and there etc......none of you had the oh so horrible screeching though. I'm tellin ya that chit was so loud it made Baby Jesus cry the first time he heard it. It's all good though, if things go well, I should be driving my car again and at the gas station filling up for the first time since summer ROFL......and oh yeah, no this isn't my secondary car :cry:

yeah, I'm having a big problem trying to find a replacement tranny. Some guy says he has a few... but all the engines I've seen in his yard are from a N/A 4G63.

Your symptoms sound sort of like mine when my TOB wouldn't let go of the input shaft until it decided to rip it apart.....go figure.....let me know what you find.

BigRand said:
Your symptoms sound sort of like mine when my TOB wouldn't let go of the input shaft until it decided to rip it apart.....go figure.....let me know what you find.
Soo many people thought that the sound it was before it broke, was the TOB. But rip the input shaft apart?

Not to take advantage of your misfortune but anyone who wants to make a couple bucks on there blown tranny, I will give 120.00 shipped for a complete trans with no holes in the housing. If the bellhousing is damaged i will offer you 70.00 for it. I rebuild these trannys and i am running out of parts...LOL

really sucks to hear. pulling the trans is a piece of cake and once you do it once or twice, it only takes about 1-1.25 hours to pull out. If you cant get the axles out of the hub and dont have the correct puller, then unbolt the lateral arm from the subframe and the compression arm. Then unbolt the Shock wishbone from the lateral arm and you will have all the room you need to move the axles. Having a friend pull the passenger side away from the car will help when you make the move to lower it.

If you dont have the puller for the axle then dont bother tying to get it from the hub, you will just waste more time.

Terry

InfiniteGSX said:
Soo many people thought that the sound it was before it broke, was the TOB. But rip the input shaft apart?

Well on my tranny....the TOB would lock itself onto the metal it was supposed to be releaseing....and if you try to drive on it the metal peice that it locks onto just snaps....and you have a nice cylndrical peice for a keep sake.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back