The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can't remember it off the top of my head, nor can I find it anywhere... Do you have your owner's manual? Should be in there... I'll post it up for you when I go out to my car on my next break... :thumb:

2.1 quarts.

Get the fluid from the Dealer only.

An easy way of filling up(if you didn't know) is to unscrew the reverse light switch on the front of the transmission and fill through that hole. Make sure your car is level.

The dealers fluid for our tranny's is designed specifically for our synchros.

These are a few quotes I got from a quick search on 2gnt.

2gntmember said:
ONLY USE THE MOPAR TRANNY FLUID FOR THE NVT-350 TRANSMISSION.

2gntmember said:
Yeah man.. you should be happy they realized it uses special fluids.. somebody on here got their tranny fluid changed at a oil place and it almost ruined their tranny

2gntmember said:
Use only the Mopar Manual Transmission fluid!!! It's specifically designed for our NVT-350 transaxle.

2gntmember said:
Yep only use the mopar fluid. It says in front of the black quart bottle "Manual Transaxle Fluid".

2gntmember said:
yes you need the right fluid, it is designed specifically for our synchros

Hopefully that helps...hehe:p

Yes, DSMcrazy is right. OEM is the best way to go, I was reffering to aftermarket because of the "Royal Purple" reference.

It's "Manual Transaxle Fluid". It is specifically for these transmissions whose model number is NVT-350. Don't confuse it with Manual TRANSMISSION fluid. Other people have tried Redline, syncroshift, and other fluids but the Syncros in the transmission do NOT like it much.

Well... I've had Synchromesh in my car for over a year and so far everything's been running great - but I won't turn this into a dealer fluid vs. Synchroshift thread - we've had plenty of those already. To be on the safe side, get the dealer stuff, like everyone else has said. I honestly don't think there are any advantages (in my experience) between the two performance-wise, so you might as well do things the "proper" way.

Thats good info V, your the only person I know of that can comment on Pennzoil Synchromesh.

I know of one person who used BG Synchro for over a year with no issue but I dont know if he used BG synchro 1 or 2.

I know some people have tried Royal purple but no one has had it in their trans for an extended amount of time so there is no way to know for sure how well it will work. I am very weary of Royal purple because they argue one the phone what type of fluid we should use. So I stay away.

The Safest fluid to use is Mopar ATF+4. That fluid has superceded the old fluid. New Venture agrees with this change. In case you didnt know, New Venture is who makes the trans for your car. New Fluid is only 8.99/QT

Other tried fluids for 1yr+:

BG Synchromesh (1or2?) 2 is just the synthetic version so it might not matter
Pennzoil Synchromesh (per V)

If you cant afford to rebuild your trans then go with factory fluid just in case.

Terry

You must use the dealer specific tranny fluid in a black bottle. It is specifically designed for the tranny which has a few special features that no other aftermarket fluid supplier makes. ATF +4 and no other fluid on the market is good for the tranny. Each synchronizer in 2-4 gears had a paper friction surface, very specific. Other fluids will rip this completely out and mess up gear tolerances. Only the factory fluid is made for these syncros. If you had a turbo DSM than you would be able to run whatever your heart desires. But otherwise you cant.

pzp107 said:
You must use the dealer specific tranny fluid in a black bottle. It is specifically designed for the tranny which has a few special features that no other aftermarket fluid supplier makes. ATF +4 and no other fluid on the market is good for the tranny. Each synchronizer in 2-4 gears had a paper friction surface, very specific. Other fluids will rip this completely out and mess up gear tolerances. Only the factory fluid is made for these syncros. If you had a turbo DSM than you would be able to run whatever your heart desires. But otherwise you cant.

Talon ESI-T said:
The Safest fluid to use is Mopar ATF+4. That fluid has superceded the old fluid. New Venture agrees with this change. In case you didnt know, New Venture is who makes the trans for your car. New Fluid is only 8.99/QT

hmmm... Sorry I'm gonna have to believe Terry on this one.

pzp107 said:

Wow. Did we not just say the OEM fluid is best? How did you get a rep bar with one post?

Not that it matters, but it isn't really a rep bar, if you hold your mouse over it he will be titled as "unknown" he hasn't recieved any rep points. He has been a member since 2003 though, so that's probably why it's green.

It doesnt really matter, I didnt know I needed rep points to know what I was talking about. The cones and syncros use a paper friction modifier which is bonded to them (how I do not know) If you use fluids such as syncroshift or royal purple or whatever brand x tranny fluid including the ATF4, it rips that surface apart as they do not possess the active ingredient which keeps the friction paper lubricated. When I say paper it isnt like printing paper or newspaper but it some sort of liek coating almost. Only our tranny uses this type of fluid. Therefore there is no equivalent in aftermarket fluid that just varies weight of oil to different trannies, tehrefore it doesnt work. Personally I dont care if you use something else, you'll mess up your tranny in the long run. By the way this is my car in case anyoen is wondering, I just dont have teh time to keep up with all tehse sites and participate as much as I would like to do to my ME and buisness degrees as well as a full time job.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...&MyToken=29934efa-584a-4c1d-a513-225263d28b5e

Do whatever you wish though.........

There are many different transmissions that have paper lined syncro rings, and this paper lining is basically the same as the lining on automatics, so I don't see how using the MOPAR ATF+4 will harm your transmission, especially if the manufacturer of the transmission says it will work

maybe the mopar specific ATF 4 fluid will work but if you go to autozone and walmart and get there ATF 4 fluid it will not work as it does not possess the same additives.

pzp107 said:
maybe the mopar specific ATF 4 fluid will work but if you go to autozone and walmart and get there ATF 4 fluid it will not work as it does not possess the same additives.

Right.

pzp107 said:
Try this one, I dont know how to upload pics to teh site cause it says failed so I used links from photobucket hopefullyt his sends you to the 3 I had time to upload.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/pzp107/

Well I am not a big fan of body kits, usually because all the ones I see are never painted and falling off, but looks like you did a great job on yours, looks good :thumb:

Hmm... it reminds me of...

Attachments

• bumblebee.jpg
    bumblebee.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 618
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back