The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G MFI Relay possible issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustard95tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2012
Lusby, Maryland
My car was up and running two weeks ago. I let it sit and the battery died, no big deal. Well after getting the battery charged to around 14.8 volts(according to the charging unit) I now am having a no start issue. Is the MFI Relay suppose to click once as I attempt to start it and once when I've stopped? My car just cranks and cranks.

Just curious,
Thanks!

MFI relay clicks when you turn ignition key to ON position and OFF position. If it's not working you will have no electrical power to nearly all engine components so engine will never run or even fire.

I thought the ecu clicked?
No its not the ecu that is clicking the relay that clicks is located jut behind the radio it usually click about 5 seconds after the ignition switch is turned off. As was stated above your car wouln't even turn over if it was bad. And to be honest they hardly ever go bad therefore the no start issue is something else. Start in the fuse box to make sure you don't have a blown fuse of any sort and also check to see that your spark plugs are firing and that you are indeed getting fuel once these are eliminated, whick are the most common cause of a no start, then you can move on to another possible issue.

Yeah the plan is to check spark, fuel system starting at the pump and fuses. Fingers crossed here. I wasn't sure how the relay was supposed to function so i figured id ask. I am at a loss for words how it ran fine and now doesn't even attempt to turn over. It'll just crank until the battery dies.

Yeah the plan is to check spark, fuel system starting at the pump and fuses. Fingers crossed here. I wasn't sure how the relay was supposed to function so i figured id ask. I am at a loss for words how it ran fine and now doesn't even attempt to turn over. It'll just crank until the battery dies.
Yeah these cars are funny acting sometimes keep us posted.

Alright so as follows.. I replaced the MPI fuse even though the old fuse was fine. Spark is good as well and when checking for fuel it appears the fuel at the rail wasn't pressurized. When I removed the feed line fuel slowly poured out and not much at all... So we look down and the line at the fuel filter appears to have a slight kink. I also removed the rear seat and cover and couldn't hear the fuel pump going through any sort of motions of powering on. I didn't get to removing the fuel pump tonight to testing it but will be in the AM. So should I be able to hear a slight hum or anything from the stock fuel pump?

Also it appeared the line was so badly kinked it possible wasn't getting fuel so a replacement line will be in order unless someone knows of another fix.. But we turned the car over with the line below the filter cut just to see if any fuel was being fed and we didn't get anything..

I realized I had some carb cleaner and gave it a shot and sure enough it started for a brief few seconds and dies. I'm only guessing/assuming as I haven't tested the Fuel Pump but this clearly points to either filter injectors or pump, correct?

That's actually what leads me to believe its the fuel pump. It seems everything is going through its paces but wasn't getting fuel as soon as carb cleaner/starter fluid was tried it started for a few seconds and dies. So my electrical components (fuses,relays,wiring is good) which leaves injectors, pump, filter correct?

Ya, I'd check voltage right on pump connector while cranking first. If there, check if any fuel is getting to the rail. If so, check if leaking fuel pressure regulator and injectors operation.

No fuel to the rail or even filter so I can only assume its the fuel pump has died. I will be checking voltage tomorrow. If it appears bad I will be replacing with a 255 Walbro pump and Fuel Lab "818" tank to rail kit as the lines have been bent horribly by the previous owner(s).

As I figured the old fuel pump was dead. Replaced the pump with a 255hp pump and the tank to rail kit from fuel lab and the car started right up! Now to figure out why I'm burning oil... If it isn't one thing it't another I swear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back