The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Do it yourself WATER INJECTION!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build your own water injection system!

OK most of you know how great water injection can be when used in a turbocharged car! IF you do not understand the concept behind water injection please do some research. And most of you know the price of a good water injection system. Let me start of by saying that in NO way am I trying to say that other water injection systems are no good. If money is not an issue for you, then AQUAMIST water injection is the way to go HANDS down! With that said lets start to build your own water injection system. I have done all the hard work searching around for the best parts to use and finding out what works well and what does not work well.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

IF your like me and others and love to build, think and create stuff on your own then this is a great relatively cheap project for you. I will start of with the wiring part of the system! Wiring is the most time consuming part if the install. As you are wiring make sure you have good solid connections. This will make life a lot easier when you go to test the kit. Every time you make a connection test to see if it works. The wiring is pretty straightforward.

This Surflo 100psi is nice for a number of reasons. It will automatically shut off when the preset PSI is reached (EX: when you start the car the pump will prime all the lines and then shutoff when the pressure in the lines is reached.) This saves a lot of money because there is no need for a High speed valve. Another nice feature is the pump can be run DRY. If you forget to check your water level ETC the pump will not FRY! I choose to use AQUAMIST jets. They require 100psi to atomize the water for best cooling affects. http://www.pro-spray.com/sprayer_pumps.htm place to get your PUMP 80.00 not bad!

The pump in the picture is a 60psi pump it will work but for the same price you can get a 100psi pump you choose ;)

Hobbs pressure switch is adjustable. This will let you choose what PSI you want the water to come on!

Relay and wiring!

Radio Shack part# 270-1213 $4.00

Radio Shack part # 270-1083 $ 1.00

This picture shows and explains how to set your HOBBS boost switch!

Used to turn on and off the flow after the pump. The pump may keep pumping for a while after the power has been cut. Putting the Solenoid in the line after the pump gives the ability to cut off the supply quickly. Power-Aire 32k5DGV-12VDC $27

This solenoid is GREAT it has a large Orfice size allowing a great flow of water. @ 100psi you want the best flow!

The above picture shows the water pump with a water hammer installed.
a water hammer helps to keep the water pressure Constant. This part is Optional

This picture shows where the water solenoid is mounted! The fuse box mount works great for the solenoid, it keeps the wires hidden and is nice and sturdy!

3967Dsc00031.jpg

The stock washer tank is what works the best. You can build a separate water tank but I choose to use the stock washer tank because it has a sensor that will let you know when the water level is low. a light will come on in your gauge cluster (how nice)

3967water_injection.JPG

This alos shows how the water pump and the water hammer is mounted. The pump is hidden and out of the way allowing for a very clean install.

This picture shows the water line tapped into the washer tank. I used a copper tude that acts like a straw inside the tank.

I will post more pictures later showing how to tap and install the water jet into the TB elbow!

You can E-mail me or PM me if you have any questions.

TWITCH

Test Operation Before Boosting
Once everything is set up, you’ll want to verify once again, that the entire assembly is working correctly before you start driving the car – especially with added boost pressure. Since everything should be buttoned up by now, which means reconnecting the IC pipe and such, you’ll not be able to actually see the nozzle spraying. Don't forget to fill the reservoir with a 50/50 water alcohol mix!

I let my car idle, and then used a test lead to bridge the two terminals on the pressure switch. This simulates a boost condition activating the system. You’ll be able to hear the pump and solenoid valve working. You’ll also notice the engine idle go down and a bogging condition will start. You’ll know it’s working at this point. All that’s left is to tune the setup to work with your specific application.

When you drive the car for the first time with the water on and working you might notice black smoke when you first use the water. Dont worry this is the water steam cleaning your engine. :thumb:

Tuning
Trial and Error - There's no Other Way

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back