The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Build Resurrection of the Red 90 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ya know, I've had more people want that than any. If her oil pressure light didn't flicker at idle, I'd drive her everyday, but I don't want to ruin a crank, so she is waiting HER TURN in the bay. I have a ready to go, fresh 6 bolt, with some little cams waiting to go in. She is, in some ways, alot more fun than the 2 hotrods are. The man that had it didn't know how to work on them so he asked me to buy it. :thumb:

MORE UPDATES:
My son came home for lunch and I had a spare tire strapped to the front, ready to go, so all that was needed was a small push into the shop with my Toyota Wagon (the mule).
Hurray!!!!:D
I need to put cement in front of my shop.
Marty

20240530_124014.jpg

20240530_124022.jpg

20240530_124028.jpg

20240530_124058.jpg

20240530_124126.jpg

20240530_124133.jpg

Tear down time, readying for a fresh motor Jeremy. It will take me forever but it will get done.
Chad, money talks....... :cool:

I made some progress today. Wheels off, axles out, UICP off, battery ready to come out, all fluids drained.....just a LITTLE more......
I did the axles the "Marty" Way (as little as possible). Hopefully the pictures will show the steps for everyone. Its just so easy. 2 strut bolts and the brake caliper then the axles slide out the back, with a little luck :)
Marty
:thumb:

20240531_150451.jpg

20240531_150457.jpg

20240531_151001.jpg

20240531_151004.jpg

20240531_151043.jpg

20240531_151054.jpg

20240531_151114.jpg

20240531_151130.jpg

20240531_151144.jpg

20240531_165543.jpg

Last edited:
I made some progress today. Wheels off, axles out, UICP off, battery ready to come out, all fluids drained.....just a LITTLE more......
I did the axles the "Marty" Way (as little as possible). Hopefully the pictures will show the steps for everyone. Its just so easy. 2 strut bolts and the brake caliper then the axles slide out the back, with a little luck :)
Marty
:thumb:

View attachment 733363

View attachment 733364

View attachment 733365

View attachment 733366

View attachment 733367

View attachment 733368

View attachment 733369

View attachment 733370

View attachment 733371

View attachment 733372
Great minds! That's how I always pull my axles!

It's kinda iffy on the brake hose so just to be safe, I hang it up then put it back. It's brakes, so I want them to be safe and ready to go but if you can leave them on, even better. With an air rachet, it takes an extra 3 or 4 minites so its just second nature as you already have the 17mm there. So easy :thumb:

So are we going to get a tear down pictorial of the bad motor coming out? I’m dying to know what happened :), still excited to see you get this thing back on the street:rocks:
Yes sir Jeremy. I will get the new engine in and running and the other motor goes right on the stand that the new motor is on. I will be looking for the issue. The oil came out looking like honey, like new. I think it only had a few days on the oil change. No debris in it but whatever it is/was, I am sure it will show its ugly head.
Getting older and by myself, it will be 3 weeks to a month to get the old out and new in. My back (I have bad arthritis) is KILLING ME today. I take 4 pills a day just to function. I may have to spread it out a bit more so I don't hurt so bad but I will be trudging along as best I can. :thumb:
Marty

Little by little........:thumb:
And a PILE of parts. Transfer case should come out tomorrow. All wires, cables and hoses are unplugged (forgot to do the injectors, shit. Well its just 4 clips). PS pump is off so maybe I can get the alternator off tomorrow too which would leave 2 motor mounts and 2 roll stops. That's enough for my back today but I got shit done!
Stay "tuned" ROFL

20240601_142132.jpg

20240601_142144.jpg

20240601_142157.jpg

My back (I have bad arthritis) is KILLING ME today. I take 4 pills a day just to function.
With me it's mostly my right knee. Usually I can keep it simmered down by taking 2 things that are like supplement type items (no Rx). Would you be ok with saying what the 4 things are that you take? You can put it in a PM if you don't want it public.
At one point there were days I could hardly walk. I remember telling Tim Zimmer to please hurry it up a little with the dog box because maybe by a year from now I'll be a complete invalid and won't even be able to drive. 😂
I've been much better for about the last 2 years.
But yeah you have to take it easy with the ol' bod when it comes to the out-of-position stuff and heavy stuff.

Oh I don't care. My Dr has me on tramidol is all, nothing that makes me feel loopy since I have to work with coworkers and the public. It just keeps it from nagging. It does NOT take it away. Today, it is nagging a bit more :rolleyes: I supplement with Advil. I've been bent over fenders and hampers at work for 46 years. Poor old back is just old. Nothin a couple beers can't help!

I hate Tramadol. Makes me puke my guts up if I take more than two. Plus they used to give it out pretty willingly, but then randomly decided it needed to be treated just like all the other opioids.

But yeah. Obviously be careful with any kind of Tramadol, Percocet, Loritab, etc, because your body will get used to it and then you'll reach a point where you need to take 2-3x more just to reach the same level as before. I'd occasionally give yourself some time to detox off of it. Gonna suck for like a week or so while you don't take any, but it'll help your body recover and you'll go back to one or two actually having a decent effect again.

But yeah. Obviously be careful with any kind of Tramadol, Percocet, Loritab, etc, because your body will get used to it and then you'll reach a point where you need to take 2-3x more just to reach the same level as before. I'd occasionally give yourself some time to detox off of it. Gonna suck for like a week or so while you don't take any, but it'll help your body recover and you'll go back to one or two actually having a decent effect again.
This applies to beer too LOL

Last edited:
You aren't suppose to take more than the prescribed dose so, that's all it is and work thru after that. Anyone who abuses it is not following Dr's instructions. :nono: 1 every 6 hrs as needed. I LOVE the days I don't have to have them. They are very few tho.

Oh I don't care. My Dr has me on tramidol is all, nothing that makes me feel loopy since I have to work with coworkers and the public. It just keeps it from nagging. It does NOT take it away. Today, it is nagging a bit more :rolleyes: I supplement with Advil. I've been bent over fenders and hampers at work for 46 years. Poor old back is just old. Nothin a couple beers can't help!
Makes me itch

I don't notice that, but hell I have had to take them for over 10 years. :idontknow:

Well I got a few more things checked off the list (see below) and am closer to getting one out and another one in. Hell, while I am at it, I should do the White 90 GSX also.....:banghead:;):thumb:
The 4 bolts holding the balancer on were just tight enough to have to use a wrench slightly, which is the ONLY SUS THING so far. Everything else looks NEW.
We will all see soon. Thanks for following along!
Marty

853ecc1a-8507-4b03-b5ea-f14de66c5f5e.jpg

20240602_143959.jpg

20240602_144159.jpg

20240602_144521.jpg

The 4 bolts holding the balancer on were just tight enough to have to use a wrench slightly, which is the ONLY SUS THING so far.
This is one of the many things I love about just leaving the nose off all the time. It's so easy to go under there and check those bolts whenever. Mine have never loosened up though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back