The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G When the MAF is plugged in it dies but when unplugged it runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGELRAY

Proven Member
Jan 29, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and I think this is the MAF sensor not sure but when I plug it in it’s bogs down and dies but when it’s unplugged it runs great.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does it run great or idle great?
It idles great and runs a bit choppy like when I floor and it hesitates

That's not a 1G MAF so what are you running to correct for it? DSMLink, SAFC, or something else?

Your profile for this car is pretty slim.
yeah I thought so and it looks slim in the picture i took a .5 picture of it LOL

Last edited:
yeah I thought so

I'm not sure you understood.
If you put a 2G MAF on a 1G you need something to correct for the different airflow counts between the two. The most common now is DSMLink but in the past people have used an SAFC or switched to 550cc injectors to provide the extra fuel required.

What are you using?

From the couple of pictures in your build thread it's clear the car has been modified before you got it. Have you taken an inventory to figure out what you have? If you please update the car's profile.

I'm not sure you understood.
If you put a 2G MAF on a 1G you need something to correct for the different airflow counts between the two. The most common now is DSMLink but in the past people have used an SAFC or switched to 550cc injectors to provide the extra fuel required.

What are you using?

From the couple of pictures in your build thread it's clear the car has been modified before you got it. Have you taken an inventory to figure out what you have? If you please update the car's profile.
I have some 650 injectors but I haven’t put them in yet
And the car has been modified but I don’t know exactly what they put on it so I haven’t updated my car profile yet sorry about that

Last edited:
Throwing more aftermarket parts at it will make it worse. Then you do more trying to fix it, then more, then you part out or give up. I've seen this movie 1000 times, I know exactly how it ends. Putting those 650s in I promise will be the final dagger for you.

Put a 1g MAF in the car. The more stock, original parts you put in, the better. If you're putting in parts not original to the car and don't know what you're doing, you're in for a very bad time like you are now.

With the turbo that was in the pictures there better be some form of tuning ability and larger injectors to go with that MAF.

Going WOT before you figure out what's in the car is a quick way to make more problems.

With the turbo that was in the pictures there better be some form of tuning ability and larger injectors to go with that MAF.

Going WOT before you figure out what's in the car is a quick way to make more problems.
I was told that Turbo is a slowboy racing g50 by the past owner and yes that intake is a 2g a Meagan strut bar he put a new oil pump water pump. And he said it has walbro 190 in it a new stage 2 clutch so basically (Walbro 190 fuel pump oil pump water pump timing kit, big turbo, intercooler piping, upgraded exhaust manifold, and upgraded intake.) is all he did to the car

Throwing more aftermarket parts at it will make it worse. Then you do more trying to fix it, then more, then you part out or give up. I've seen this movie 1000 times, I know exactly how it ends. Putting those 650s in I promise will be the final dagger for you.

Put a 1g MAF in the car. The more stock, original parts you put in, the better. If you're putting in parts not original to the car and don't know what you're doing, you're in for a very bad time like you are now.
Yeah I’m not planning to put any more after market parts in it I honestly wanna restore it but I wanna get it in good running/driving condition LOL

You have multiple threads for multiple topics. I suggest you stop and identify exactly what you have on the car first. Post some pics if you're not sure.
Verify by whatever means necessary the following
What ecu is in the car
What maf
What injectors
Is your bov recirculated
Do you have any boost leaks

Let's start there. In my opinion yiu are chasing your tail in multiple threads. It's time to consolidate.
DO NOT GUESS. if you're not sure about something ask. Assumption as you have done with your injectors doesn't help. Verify.

You have multiple threads for multiple topics. I suggest you stop and identify exactly what you have on the car first. Post some pics if you're not sure.
What ecu is in the car
What maf
What injectors
Is your bov recirculated

Let's start there. In my opinion yiu are chasing your tail in multiple threads. It's time to consolidate.
DO NOT GUESS. if you're not sure about something ask. Assumption as you have done with your injectors doesn't help. Verify.
Okay I’ve verified the ecu in my car and what maf I have I’ll do the bov today and check for any boost later tomorrow
I have a 2 g maf and recently got my hands on a 1g so I’m using the 1g rn and the Ecu I’ve sent pictures in on another thread and verify if that I need to get it socked

What ecu is in the car
What maf
What injectors
Is your bov recirculated

How would you recommend checking for boost leaks and if the bov is recirculating?

How would you recommend checking for boost leaks and if the bov is recirculating?
As stated earlier. Please check the resources section.
Alternatively you can actually Google this site by asking a question in Google followed by , dsmtuners. Problem is some topics, boost leak, have been asked so many times you may not find anything useful. UNLESS you go to the resource pages.
Hint hint.
BOV will have a hose coming off it going to the Intake to turbo.
If you're running a 2g MAF on the car with a stock ECU just park the car. You simply can't do that. Are you aware of how sensors and ECU work together? If I recall you said you're in a class?

As stated earlier. Please check the resources section.
Alternatively you can actually Google this site by asking a question in Google followed by , dsmtuners. Problem is some topics, boost leak, have been asked so many times you may not find anything useful. UNLESS you go to the resource pages.
Hint hint.
Bov will have a hose coming off it going to the Intake to turbo.
If you're running a 2g maf on the car with a stock ecu just park the car. You simply can't do that. Are tiu aware of how sensors and ecu work together? Ifni recall you said you're in a class?
Yes sir I changed the Maf to a 1g it is no longer a 2g

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back