The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What should I run for my GSX stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T'd Up Steve

Proven Member
Nov 16, 2021
SANTA ANA, California
Hey guys forgive me if this has been asked a million times but I am a brand new DSM’r and don’t know what to run and what alot of stuff even means on cars. So far I have a clean stock 99 5 speed GSX with little mods. Right now I want to run a stock setup but want to build up in the future. I am thinking of getting a 16g turbo in the future.
So far I have this:
1g BOV
Injen short Ram intake
Glow shift gauges.

As far as other mods go, I don’t know what to get. I was thinking of getting either a Megan cat back or a HKS cat back exhaust. What do you guys think?

Do the necessary maintenance (timing belt, water pump and any other necessities) then you can explore more upgrade options. :thumb:

Start here.

Difficult to advise I we don't know what you want to do. Read carefully. A mods list is not a set of goals.
I want to have a somewhat reliable DSM, be able to have launch control and 2step and be around 300hp. What would I need? Also don’t mind spending money on parts since it’s not an issue. Want to have a fun street car that can also be a somewhat reliable daily driver since I am going to not have my Tacoma anymore soon.

Do the necessary maintenance (timing belt, water pump and any other necessities) then you can explore more upgrade options. :thumb:
I have !!! As I said in the other comment I want to build a reliable street daily that is around 300 hp with a tune

If you want to keep the car reliable, make sure to spend money right the first time on quality parts. An Evo 3 16g will be perfect for what you're looking to do along with ECMlink for the engine management. You'll also need a fuel pump, injectors, an intercooler upgrade, and a clutch to handle the added power. There is a ton of information on this type of setup on the forum as people have been using these turbos for over 2 decades. As everybody else has mentioned, make sure to do all of the typical maintenance items and use OEM parts wherever possible.

I want to have a somewhat reliable DSM, be able to have launch control and 2step and be around 300hp. What would I need? Also don’t mind spending money on parts since it’s not an issue. Want to have a fun street car that can also be a somewhat reliable daily driver since I am going to not have my Tacoma anymore soon.

I have !!! As I said in the other comment I want to build a reliable street daily that is around 300 hp with a tune
Ok, let's remain objective here. You want 300hp. Stock turbo won't cut it. What you choose will depend on the use of the car. As a daily driver with good spoolup the aforementioned evoIII 16g is probably a good choice for several reasons. It's a bolt on to the manifold. Water and oil lines are easy. Readily available parts to adapt it to stock intercooler or aftermarket.
If you read my thread there are many mods that affect other mods and some that don't. 300hp you're going to need fuel. How much will again be determined by goals but this is one of those cases where you could do a littler overkill and it's not a big deal.
Engine management is somewhat similar. ECMlink is a common choice because it's readily available, relatively inexpensive, plug and play and remarkably capable for what it is and how old the technology is. That doesn't mean it's the only choice. You will need some method to tune and have larger injectors.
There are lots more questions but I'll stop here for now.
Think about this for a minute and formulate a plan. Share it with us and we can discuss objectively.

Ok, let's remain objective here. You want 300hp. Stock turbo won't cut it. What you choose will depend on the use of the car. As a daily driver with good spoolup the aforementioned evoIII 16g is probably a good choice for several reasons. It's a bolt on to the manifold. Water and oil lines are easy. Readily available parts to adapt it to stock intercooler or aftermarket.
If you read my thread there are many mods that affect other mods and some that don't. 300hp you're going to need fuel. How much will again be determined by goals but this is one of those cases where you could do a littler overkill and it's not a big deal.
Engine management is somewhat similar. ECMlink is a common choice because it's readily available, relatively inexpensive, plug and play and remarkably capable for what it is and how old the technology is. That doesn't mean it's the only choice. You will need some method to tune and have larger injectors.
There are lots more questions but I'll stop here for now.
Think about this for a minute and formulate a plan. Share it with us and we can discuss objectively.
Read the thread. I want a fun fast street build. I know I need a better turbo and a boost controller. I will be getting the evoIII 16g turbo. Is ECMlink better than DSMlink?

Read the thread. I want a fun fast street build. I know I need a better turbo and a boost controller. I will be getting the evoIII 16g turbo. Is ECMlink better than DSMlink?
Ecmlink can control boost if you want. Everything else you add here sort of builds upon what you stated. Larger injectors and fuel system are a must. Intercooler is up to you. If you're not subject to racing rules you can pick whatever you want or not. Stock intercooler is not optimal.
Here are some things you will encounter. Just about any of the usual fuel pumps 255lph or bigger will require a different fuel pressure regulator so plan for that. Fuel lines you're fine at evo3 levels.
Choice of fuel is up to you but plan your injector size accordingly. E85 is popular but requires more fuel volume.
That should get you started.

Last edited:
What do you want to do with 2-step?
Do you know what 2-step does and how it can damage engine internals if used improperly/abused?

There's no launch control in these cars, especially with a 5 speed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back