The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

weird timing issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbouvier

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2005
Clarksville, Indiana
Alright guys I've searched and tried like everything that I've read on here and vfaq to try and set my timing. I've probably accumulated 30 hours in the past two weeks just trying to set it. I just got the engine back it is a 2.3 stroker bored .20 over, hks 272/272 cams, crower titanium valve springs and retainers, as well as stainless steel valves still using the stock cam gears. The problem is no matter how I try and rotate the cam gears the mark is off by half a tooth at best. If I hold the gears sometimes I get lucky and they line up but when they line up I can't get the timing belt over the exhaust cam gear, its tooth on tooth. I tried leaving the timing off a little and string the rest of the belt and tension it because I read that tensioning it can bring it back in time...it didn't. I'm really stumped with this and unfortunately theres no one around to help with this issue. I've replaced the autotensioner and tried moving the gears in like every position I can think of strung the belt and it'll be off. I really don't understand what im doing wrong. I'd really appreciate any input as I'm steadily losing my patience.

Thanks in Advance,

James

thats the problem though whenever they line up perfectly across the belt won't go on it's tooth on tooth on the exhaust cam gear. I'll string the belt over the intake cam ziptie the belt to that cam gear turn the exhaust cam until it lines up string the belt and it'll be off half a tooth. So I'll take the belt back off turn the exhaust cam half a tooth past where it's supposed to be and it'll still be off. I've tried moving each of the gears a certain amount of teeth hoping that just maybe they'll line up. I've only managed to get it to line up probably twice but like I said the belt won't go over the exhaust cam. I'll then try and move it so the belt will go on but they won't line up. The belt is a mitsubishi timing belt with letter cd167 on it.

Do this:
Put only the bottom tensioner bolt in a little so the tensioner can rotate counter clockwise so it won't be touching the tensioner arm.
Start with the crank and oil pump gears.
Remember to make sure the oil pump gear is in phase.
Once the belt is around them it will hold itself around them.
Slip it around the tensioner pulley and idler pulley.
Put it around the intake cam gear and use two or three clothes pins to hold it in place.
Then rotate the exhaust cam clockwise and make sure you intentionally rotate one tooth too much.
The exhaust cam will line back up when the grenade pin is pulled.
Pull up on the tensioner pulley or use the tool if you have it and then tighten the bolt.
Lift up on the tensioner arm so you can swing the tensioner under it.
Then put the top bolt in the tensioner and tighten both down.
Pull the grenade pin.
Then the cam gears should be lined up perfect and you can rotate it six times to verify everything.

Man i don't know why it made a difference stringing it from the bottom first but it did. Guess my slack was on the idler pulley. I don't know but it's right now. Thanks a million.

James

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back