The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Weird timing issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle_talon90

15+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2004
Regina, SK_Canada
Alright, so I'm having a little problem with the base timing on my car here. I go out to check it today and it was way off, so i set it back to 5* BTDC and it started running a bit better, (wouldn't idle properly before). I let it idle for about 10 minutes after setting it and checked it again and found it had advanced to ~5* ATDC already and was not running smoothly. So I turn the car off and tried setting it back again and no matter what i do i cant get it back to 5* BTDC. When i start the car now it runs for 10 seconds pretty rough and then dies on its own. Anyone have any idea as to what could cause this? Thanks in advance.

Timing belt could be off a tooth or two. When it runs rev it up, if it revs quickly it probably isn't off, but if it revs up real slow it probably is.

Hmm, so i popped off my top timing belt cover to see if it did skip a tooth or two or something, and this is what i found, looks as if the adjustment screws on the cam gears weren't tight enough and they turned out of time on their own i guess? I don't have any time tonight to fix them so i will do it tomorrow night after work and post back to let you know if it fixes it or not.

Attachments

• cam gears.jpg
    cam gears.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 83
  • intake cam geaR.jpg
    intake cam geaR.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 83
  • EXHAUST CAM GEAR.jpg
    EXHAUST CAM GEAR.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 82
alright, so the problem is fixed, i adjusted the cam gears back to where they should be, and set the base timing and everything is running fine. All i have have to do now is figure out whats wrong with my clutch and/or transmission and i might be able to drive it sometime this summer.:rocks: LOL thanks for the replies!

alright, so the problem is fixed, i adjusted the cam gears back to where they should be, and set the base timing and everything is running fine. All i have have to do now is figure out whats wrong with my clutch and/or transmission and i might be able to drive it sometime this summer.:rocks: LOL thanks for the replies!

Glad it was something simple. What gears are those btw?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back