The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Weird timing belt issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bNasty

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chantilly, Virginia
Alright i hate to ask this newbish question but im semi stumped. So as some of you may know i finally got my talon running. fresh motor and everything. I have fidanza cam gears and a gates racing timing belt if that matters. The problem is that the belt seems loose. I followed the vfaq to a t. and the weird thing is, is that when i turn the crank over to check to see if all my marks line up the belt gets tight again. All my timing marks line up and are where they should be. But it kinda sketches me out that that belt would be loose. Its a new oem tensioner, new oem pulley even a new oem arm. everything on the motor is new. Im just stumped with this.

It seems to happen on just about every dsm. It has a wierd spot where it feels loose between the gears as you said, but its normal. There is a thread on it somewhere on this site...

Some gap between the cams after having the engine off for a while is normal. Worry if you have the wrong space between the tensioner and pulley arm after turnin it one complete cycle (think it's like 14 turns) and letting it sit around 10min.

I do believe it has to do something with the routing of the belt and where the tensioner is located on the motor. I did my timing belt a few months ago and it has some tight/loose spots as well. It's normal, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

It's the hydraulic tensioner.

As the car sits it will start to collaps and the belt will lose it's tension, that is why it seems loose after sitting for awhile. As soon as you turn the crank it will extend and tension the belt. Everything you described sounds completely normal. Every Mitsubishi I have ever worked on was like that.

Its simple physics. When you turn the crankshaft the belts going to get tighter. Any engine with a hydraulic tensioner has this characteristic.
It has nothing to do with the hydraulic tensioner losing tension. If the hydraulic tensioner is losing tension then it is bad and needs to be replaced.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Its simple physics. When you turn the crankshaft the belts going to get tighter. Any engine with a hydraulic tensioner has this characteristic.
It has nothing to do with the hydraulic tensioner losing tension. If the hydraulic tensioner is losing tension then it is bad and needs to be replaced.

When it sits over night, that tensioner will bleed down and remove all the tension from the belt. As soon as it is cranked or turned by hand that tensioner extends and tensions the belt. Every Mitsu I have worked on does this, and even brand new OEM tensioners do this. It is completely normal.

When it sits over night, that tensioner will bleed down and remove all the tension from the belt. As soon as it is cranked or turned by hand that tensioner extends and tensions the belt. Every Mitsu I have worked on does this, and even brand new OEM tensioners do this. It is completely normal.
The belt will be loose depending on where its at in the stroke regardless of how long it sits. You can rotate the motor by hand and stop and it will become loose in some spots immediately.

The slack side of the belt(where the tensioner is) will always want to be slack. As you turn the crank you increase the slack at the tensioner therefore causing the rod to extend more therefore making the belt tighter.

It may not make alot of sense but its the way it works.

Sounds to me like we are saying the same things in different words.

But regardless, it is normoal OP.

...what I was wondering.... I went through the same and just let it sit for a good hour after inital 6 turn rotation then checked it again and I stayed dead on with the marks..

..that was 21k miles ago and still running smooth.

-DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back