The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr PopUps

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2009
Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky
I searched, everything is almost 20 years old now. Is there a more current weight reduction thread for a 2G?

There was a thread that listed the weight of pretty much every component in a 2g, these items haven't changed weights over the years.
Yea, but that doesnt help when theres a lot more technology to be had since 2004. I guess theres no list of hoods and hatches, sun roof elims etc?

Im looking more for a list of aftermarket goodies that can be swapped in to reduce weight, more than how much a seat weighs. Maybe that helps the suggestions more.

Last edited:
Yea, but that doesnt help when theres a lot more technology to be had since 2004. I guess theres no list of hoods and hatches, sun roof elims etc?

Im looking more for a list of aftermarket goodies that can be swapped in to reduce weight, more than how much a seat weighs. Maybe that helps the suggestions more.
From my personal experience;

oem wiring = ~80lbs - I replaced it all with less than 5lbs
sunroof assembly - ~35lbs - replaced with carbonetics plug - about 4lbs
oem hood = ~45lbs - Carbon creations hood = 15lbs
I removed 18lbs from the doors while still retaining power windows
Replacing the windshield and door glass with Lexan sheds 60lbs
2g awd fuel tank is almost 100lbs with half a tank of gas
HVAC is about 40ish lbs behind the dash.

That will give you some ideas

Cabonetics also lists the weights of their pieces on their site.

Don't forget. Drive shaft, subframes, cranks,rods,control arms,flywheel, ac heat delete, glass, extra extra. Alot has changed since 04. If going auto add wieght LOL.
Cranks only vary a small amount, rods as long as they are I or H beams are light enough and even then sometimes small grams.

Flywheels can make a different but getting a billet block alone will save about 15kg i think they save.

Subframes also save about HALF the weight. Mine does at least.

Biggest weight saving were oem seats and glass! Metal parts will be another big one so doors and trunk/hood 100%. Lifting my hood with 1 finger vs 2 hands on an oem hood says alot about weight

Cranks more than you think when they knifed edged, then aluminum rods . It all adds up ;)
My knife edged crank and holed crank is only a bit lighter but not by much. Winburg cranks are gun bored for even less weight and are one of the lightest.

Alloy rod yes those can be light but i guess i forgot ro ask the reason for weight loss as wont work in all situations.

From my personal experience;

oem wiring = ~80lbs - I replaced it all with less than 5lbs
sunroof assembly - ~35lbs - replaced with carbonetics plug - about 4lbs
oem hood = ~45lbs - Carbon creations hood = 15lbs
I removed 18lbs from the doors while still retaining power windows
Replacing the windshield and door glass with Lexan sheds 60lbs
2g awd fuel tank is almost 100lbs with half a tank of gas
HVAC is about 40ish lbs behind the dash.

That will give you some ideas

Cabonetics also lists the weights of their pieces on their site.
How did you replace the wiring??!!
Did you make your own lexan windows? Im not messing with the windshield cause i need to be able to drive the car.
Fuel tank, i guess you went fuel cell? But that would change the center of gravity...
Not giving up heat and AC.

if youre also looking to shave more weight off your shell for going racecar, you can remove all the sound detinning, all the rear seat bolt hole reinforments, some braces that arent required, etc. if youre REALLLLLLLLY trying to save as much as possible you can run half the hardware that holds stuff in too LOL

if youre also looking to shave more weight off your shell for going racecar, you can remove all the sound detinning, all the rear seat bolt hole reinforments, some braces that arent required, etc. if youre REALLLLLLLLY trying to save as much as possible you can run half the hardware that holds stuff in too LOL
Well, its autocross and track, not 1/4 mile, so i need SOME things to stay LOL.

If you want ploy windows I have a company who makes direct bolt in and good fit replacements. They are here in the UK and ship worldwide. ACW motorsport plastics are what they are called. You can save about 15+kg just on poly windows excluding front windshield.

How did you replace the wiring??!!
Did you make your own lexan windows? Im not messing with the windshield cause i need to be able to drive the car.
Fuel tank, i guess you went fuel cell? But that would change the center of gravity...
Not giving up heat and AC.
You can see in my thread, I converted the car over to Fueltech and gutted every bit of oem wiring in the process:

My car is still all oem glass except the sunroof, which is carbon.

5 gallon fuel cell, in nearly the oem location.

I'm in Canada so A/C is really not needed but the car is pretty much a track only car now so no hvac needed.

If you want ploy windows I have a company who makes direct bolt in and good fit replacements. They are here in the UK and ship worldwide. ACW motorsport plastics are what they are called. You can save about 15+kg just on poly windows excluding front windshield.
Holy shit, thats cheap. Id rather make my own stuff, but for that price...

Holy shit, thats cheap. Id rather make my own stuff, but for that price...
They ship around the world and when I worked with them we were cheaper then another who made windows but theirs still had to be trimmed to suit and then painted! Oirs is much better as its made to fit perfectly and close the gap up more and pre painted ready for the window glue!

You will love them and the new door windows can even be used up and down if opting for the hard coating which i always advise to get for a much longer lasting product.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back