The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Trading my awd 1g for fwd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
Sounds crazy but I think I'm gonna do it LOL. I already have an awd galant, and I really miss my old fwd tsi. Even though it trapped 115 and ran mid 13s LOL, it was a whole lot of fun still. Lightweight, reliable, got good gas mileage and sounded dope roasting the tire everywhere I went haha. Also easier to work on/less parts to maintenance. I drive my cars pretty much as often as I can and while I would never want to take a fwd to the track ever again, I miss having one to romp around in as a daily 🤷‍♂️

Anybody feel me LOL?

Nope. I had a 12sec fwd car way way back in the day. I’ll never modify another fwd car again. Hell, I was scared of breaking parts in my stock Hyundai Veloster Turbo whenever it would wheelhop.

Well, maintenance would be simpler. Other points you mentioned are true enough. AWD had cache when these cars were being introduced. Now companies like Subaru have made it commonplace.
Are you actually going to do a reverse-swap, or just exchange cars?

Well, maintenance would be simpler. Other points you mentioned are true enough. AWD had cache when these cars were being introduced. Now companies like Subaru have made it commonplace.
Are you actually going to do a reverse-swap, or just exchange cars?
It would be simple enough to replace it with a fwd trans and drop everything else besides the axles, but would almost feel bad doing that to an awd chassis. Idk yet I hadn't really thought about that.

I had my fwd almost gutted and it was just a fun grocery getter/burnout machine. As for wheel hop, mine went away in my old car once I prothaned the front roll stop mount. Granted I kept street tires on it never slicks or even drag radials

I love my 99 FWD GST Eclipse for daily driver. Plenty of pep and WAY less maintenance cost without the extra transfer case, propeller shaft, rear diff and 2 extra CV axles going out every couple years (like all AWD models of every make do).

I've thought about this a couple times with my 2G. AWD parts are getting harder to find and a nicely built GST is probably worth the same as a abused but running/driving GSX.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Not a bad choice it you are enjoying the end result.

Like other have mentioned, parts are becoming harder to find, but for all DSMs. The FWD requiring fewer parts to begin with and with higher overall production volumes makes them the smarter option going forward, IMO, especially for a daily.

Like other have mentioned, parts are becoming harder to find, but for all DSMs. The FWD requiring fewer parts to begin with and with higher overall production volumes makes them the smarter option going forward, IMO, especially for a daily.
Apropos, I’m currently in possession of two rear engine mount that don’t fit my gsx. The proper part is NLA, and I think these I have are for fwd. if you want to make a gsx owner cringe, tell them you just got a new fuel pump hanger for your gst.

CV axles going out every couple years (like all AWD models of every make do).
Is it really that normal for them to go out on AWD cars? And what makes you believe so? I've never heard that an AWD car should wear axles any faster than a FWD car. :hmm:

Not trying to threadjack or anything. I just felt a little stumped after reading this and wanted to pick your brain a bit. I had a 2005 Impreza with stock axles, 2010 wrx stock axles, brother had 98 Impreza 200k miles stock axles... etc etc. No need to continue the list, just stating that me and others have owned AWD cars that didn't seem to wear through axles. Much less than my FWD in fact! LOL

Unless what you're implying is that AFTER you replace them that starts to happen, due to lower quality of aftermarket parts? In that case I fully concur.

I'm sorry. I was exaggerating as a joke for effect. Didn't realize people would take it as fact. My bad. What my real intention to say was just that there are so many more moving parts that carry driving force load in an AWD DSM so the probability of failure is greater (as well as those parts are harder to get than in a FWD DSM). That's all. Sorry for the bad joke and misleading info about all makes/models.

Last edited:
I can’t help but wish mine was a gsx. Maybe it’s just the knowledge of there being something “better” out there.
Well, I hated my fwd at the drag strip. Was super frustrating to see awd and rwd cars run the same trap speed as me but et almost 1.5 seconds better. Then I dropped about $450 on new tires, stiffer suspension and a dual stage boost controller, went back to the track a month later and ran the same damn times 😐

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back