The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Site security issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I just got scammed, he claims his account was compromised, anyone else get screwed? I did see any posts about a admin account being hacked, might be good to let everyone know.

I strongly doubt that you got scammed by Justin. A guy like Justin that has been around here for years and years with solid free advice, and honestly cares about the cars and the community doesn't just up and go on a scamming spree.
I agree. I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with Justin but the few times I needed advice he was very helpful. Also bought a turbo from him and the transaction was flawless.

Someone got control of his account on this site and was selling a turbo package. Obviously I trusted that it was actually him, I've never seen this happen before. If the site has somehow been compromised with everyone's passwords etc it should be posted.

Someone got control of his account on this site and was selling a turbo package. Obviously I trusted that it was actually him, I've never seen this happen before. If the site has somehow been compromised with everyone's passwords etc it should be posted.
Sorry this happened to you and thank you for the heads up. Can you recoup your losses?

Account was definitely compromised; my DM inbox was full of contact information for classified listings for items I've never possessed or sold...some showing payment was made to payment methods I never used like Zelle, Cashapp, etc. I'm 100% Paypal...been a business account holder there since 2004. The scammer even went as far as to hand out warnings for people who didn't follow directions clearly enough.

If it feels spammy, it probably is. Everyone here knows my "wordy" replies with tons of info and those who have done business with me in the past have a general feel for how I conduct business...none of which was represented by any of the communication done by the highjacker. I have no clue how or why anyone would want to pirate a random forum Moderator account to scam people, but apparently it's an issue. File a claim or report the payment as unauthorized if anything was sent.

That sounds like it ought to be between you Justin, ludacris, and maybe your payment method.

There were two posts in the classifieds yesterday. One for a 35r rebuilt at 350 shipped and another for a hta68, fp manifold, o2 dump for 550 shipped. I remember reading it thinking is this dude Xmas drunk? These prices cannot be correct. The ads looked legit though. It just seemed way too good to be true to me.

The scammer, having gained control of a Moderator account, was able to view deleted ads including those placed by myself from months ago and "re-list" them at half price to draw immediate attention and apparently it worked. Bonus points because I've been running a business rebuilding parts in the community for 20 years and never ripped anyone out of a dime, I suppose.

These are examples of the deleted ads which were viewed then re-listed by the douchebag:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Bottom line, unfortunately there's nothing I can do. I've apologized to each person via DM and most were very understanding and smartly bailed when then knew things weren't going right. If you have an issue or concern regarding the security of the site, start a new thread which doesn't single me out as a scammer...or DM the site founder and discuss it with them directly. I'm here to make sure the site policies are followed and participate in forced induction discussions because that's my area of personal expertise.

Remember what I said that if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't- so if the name you're sending the payment to doesn't match the user's name (like "Patrick Hartwell")...or the email address provided for payment is just a bunch of random letters at an email server that's basically obsolete...or the seller instantly cuts the price by $100 while simultaneously telling you there are 4 other people interested, stop and ask questions. Ask something only I would know...like airflow numbers about the turbo being listed, or how laggy it may be.

Replies like this barely sound human- so I'd consider improper english from any member of the site staff to be a massive red flag.

I legit almost got got because that auto transmission for $450. What gave me pause was it was 150% a picture from another seller. I was like, did he get given the trans from Jared and is selling it at a discount?

Sucks to hear, 100%, and as a customer and a seller I can also 100% understand there is nothing you can do.

But this dude is on this site still. His real name and contact info needs to be posted so everyone knows who he is and who not to deal with. For him to know what to list, and how to describe it, and how moderation on this site works, he’s 100% a member that’s been here awhile.

Post it up for the sake of saving us future scamming, I say.

Nothing against you JusMX141, this had to be brought to attention immediately. I saw no mention of anything and the fact such a high level member was taken over and no mention was anywhere I threw it up.

Nothing against you JusMX141, this had to be brought to attention immediately. I saw no mention of anything and the fact such a high level member was taken over and no mention was anywhere I threw it up.
Then since there's nothing against me, the thread title has been edited accordingly.

You didn't see a mention of it publicly because:
- I had no idea it was happening because it was Christmas Eve into Christmas day, and I was out of town.
- All of this took place in about an 11-hour period over said dates.

I'll reiterate and ask again, please post this dudes info. At least post the links to his payment info so if someone claiming to be someone else hits us with that stuff, we know to avoid it. The name on his Cash app and stuff would be great too.

Again, the guy is still on this site right now. I know he is.

F*ck you if you're reading this.

What are the chances of everyone's info being compromised? I think changing your password would be a good idea anyway at this point. Practice due diligence and if something doesn't smell right, move on. That email address was a dead giveaway but I know how it goes sometimes and you can miss the biggest of clues. If I don't know you, you better believe I'll do my best to find out if you are who you say you are. Yet, even then it's not a sure thing so make sure you use a payment method with protection in place.

I just changed mine, but he was obviously after and got a trusted member. Regular scammers come and go here but this is the first time seeing something this extreme.

I legit almost got got because that auto transmission for $450. What gave me pause was it was 150% a picture from another seller. I was like, did he get given the trans from Jared and is selling it at a discount?

Sucks to hear, 100%, and as a customer and a seller I can also 100% understand there is nothing you can do.

But this dude is on this site still. His real name and contact info needs to be posted so everyone knows who he is and who not to deal with. For him to know what to list, and how to describe it, and how moderation on this site works, he’s 100% a member that’s been here awhile.

Post it up for the sake of saving us future scamming, I say.
It’s not necessarily an ACTUAL member on the site. It’s a usual hacker who probably hacks this type of forum and knows the ins and outs of this type of layout. He probably does this on the daily around the world. Hell he even tried deleting the BEWARE portion on the bottom of the classifieds posts :| I suggest everyone change their PW who had contact as well as personal emails, etc associated with you.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back