The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Second opinion on wastegate cracks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

car46999

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2008
huntsville, Alabama
Looking for a second opinion on my boost issue.
Only boosting to ~7psi to redline (after market gauge).
BLT at throttle body is good. From 20psi bleeds down to 6psi ~1psi per 2 seconds. Hovers at 6psi for ~20 seconds.

I am 90% sure that these cracks are holding me from stock max boost.
Unhooking the waste gate hose made no difference (I am aware that is quite risky :D ).

Car is stock (except catback and K&N, evo8 fuel pump).

What ya'll think.

Attachments

• IMG_0335s.jpg
    IMG_0335s.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0327s.jpg
    IMG_0327s.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Yeah I read that too, they are a hit or miss from what I have read. I'd just keep running it till you find a good deal on a used MHI small or evo 3 16g. Instead of wasting time with the 14b because its starting to show its age.

Weird part is that it hit ~12-13 psi the first drive after swapping the head.
Never again after that.
Might have been lean, I know the exhaust manifold was red after that drive.

Turbo was bought used. The turbo had small cracks for sure, but I never opened the flapper to check it.

Thanks to all for the help.

That housing is junk. It wont hold any boost as its all leaking past the WG cracks and im sure the flapper doesnt seal completly. The evo 3 houisings are the best as they are made of more nickel and crack resistant

Wow, and I thought my 14b housing was bad. Absolutely your issue. Time to upgrade to and E316G!

I got my China EVO III turbine housing installed ***thanks again chanley talon for the great deal!

BUT I only gained 1 psi, I am now up to 8psi :banghead:

I did a full BLT, from turbo inlet to pisons/valves.
Result is approx 2 minutes 26 seconds from 19 psi.

I know my BOV is leaking a bit, with the BOV outlet hose plugged it holds for ~30 seconds more.

So I think my BLT is a success, so WTF why only 8 psi?

I previously checked my boost solenoid for operation, it was getting voltage while driving to open it, and closed at idle.

Test setup:
VDO boost gauge
PCV blocked off
air pressure into turbo inlet
Crankshaft is set to 30° ATDC.
BOV out let unplugged then plugged

Do you have a boost controller?

No he does not. Only BCS removed.

How is your Boost Gauge installed? I would like pics of that, the wastegate, & a wide shot that will include turbo to over the timing belt to the firewall.... where your boost controller line will go thru later on.

No he does not. Only BCS removed.

How is your Boost Gauge installed? I would like pics of that, the wastegate, & a wide shot that will include turbo to over the timing belt to the firewall.... where your boost controller line will go thru later on.

Correct, I am running stock boost control. BCS is in-line with MAF nipple, other hose runs to a "T" that goes to the compressor outlet and to the wastegate actuator.

Boost gauge is installed under the hood right now.
Hooked up with a "T" between the fuel pressure regulator nipple and the fuel pressure solenoid.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/car46999/IMG_0418.jpg

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Correct, I am running stock boost control. BCS is in-line with MAF nipple, other hose runs to a "T" that goes to the compressor outlet and to the wastegate actuator.

Boost gauge is installed under the hood right now.
Hooked up with a "T" between the fuel pressure regulator nipple and the fuel pressure solenoid.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/car46999/IMG_0418.jpg

I do not understand this. 8lbs is stock i believe. So if the BCS is STILL hooked up, that is why. A line running straight to the wg actuator will open the wg up at the spring pressure. I would disconnect the BCS - boost control solenoid, this will let the car run stock wg spring pressure. (Should be a hose & a relay I believe.)

I do not understand this. 8lbs is stock i believe. So if the BCS is STILL hooked up, that is why. A line running straight to the wg actuator will open the wg up at the spring pressure. I would disconnect the BCS - boost control solenoid, this will let the car run stock wg spring pressure. (Should be a hose & a relay I believe.)

The BCS is still installed as factory (restrictor is removed).
The 1g WG begins to open at 11.1 psi (with external pressure tester), I understand with the BCS bypassed I would see ~7psi while driving.

FSM states: Standard boost value: (6.0-10.8 psi)

I have read I should see 10-12 psi.

I have ran it with the BCS bypassed before, but not with the new turbine housing. I don't think that is the issue (I tested it and it opens with 12v applied, and I drove it with a DVM hooked to it and saw voltage on the wires). I might make a manual boost controller and try that just for fun.

Wastegate problem- perhaps the actuator is not sealing the flapper 100%.

I just replaced the turbine housing and looking at the new one it should seal up well. The preload on the flapper should also be good, I had to pull the arm onto the flapper linkage (about 3/4 hole overlap).

Can ECU caps cause this?

Gonna try to get a log today (MMCD).

Here are my logs from today. Anyone see why I am only boosting to 8-9PSI (spike to 9 only in first, 8psi otherwise).

All are 3rd gear WOT pulls logging from 2000rpms.
TPS is missing as it was unchecked in MMCD.

LB/min does not show in these up for some reason.

In MMCD I see a max of 35-36 LB/min in each log (inaccurate).

I know my ECU coolant sensor is bad.

Any help would be great

Attachments

• 2000-01-01_16_03_14.csv
    11.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2000-01-01_16_04_46.csv
    6.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2000-01-01_16_05_41.csv
    8.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I uploaded a video of my BLT to YOUTUBE.

MVI 0404 - YouTube

Air supply is turned off at ~9 seconds and pressure is at zero at 2 min 36 seconds.

I am perplexed...

I do not think it is the wastegate leaking now with the new housing I installed (see picture, ZERO cracks, no damage to flapper, flapper centered over hole)

Any tips???

Attachments

• IMG_0400z.JPG
    IMG_0400z.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 98
It's probably valve blow by if you've liquid boosted (soapy water) your entire intake tract and found no leaks.

So my BLT is a fail?
I have not sprayed down the intake.
I did fix the seals on the throttle body shaft. The insulators for the injectors were new when I installed them.

Valve blow by would make sense, I do hear air in the engine.

I assumed though with it holding for ~2.5 min, I would see close to stock boost.

>>>volcomsnow245... video?

As usual, it is always the last thing you check!

Removed the Cat, BAM 21psi. Whoops now I have that problem. Cat shall be fixed and reinstalled.
Thank you for all that replied.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back