The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Lets talk wastegate spring pressures for a second..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
So I'm going to be running a F38, on a PTE 6165, I'm looking to get about 550-600hp so I'm shooting for about 32-34ish psi

I have a large green spring, a large blue spring, and a small blue spring

SM blue- 8.7 psi
LG green- 13 psi
LG blue- 14.5 psi
Blue combo- 23.2 psi

Someone told me to run closest to the target pressure I'm planning to run, because spring is a better controller then vacuum

So I was going to run the twin blue setup at 23.2psi

But then I thought..
My engine is brand new, 0 miles on the rebuild. Even all the bolts in this engine are oem brand new LOL.

Would it be better to start with a single large green or single large blue at 13 or 14.5 psi rather than having my lowest possible pressure start at 23+?

Which spring setup should I use?

I'd break it in on low boost. You can change the springs after break in is done. I changed mine to a 32lb set up, spring wise, but I run 40lbs with a MBC.
I started on 19 on my WG to begin with.
Just what I did. :thumb:

I will probably start on 14.5 psi then add the small blue later..

What a PITA it was trying to clamp those 2 blue springs in there.. Now I have to take 1 out LOL.

I'm heavily jumping the gun though, this was a future reference type question since I'm still in mid build hah..

Thanks though

Some people say the vac is good for 3x spring rate.. So like 14.5 would be good up to 43.5 psi on the boost controller

Anyone know if that's accurate?

I think you can only double WG pressure with BC. Thats why I changed springs in my WG. I couldn't turn it up to the point I wanted, so the spring change was a necessity.

You can run about double spring pressure with an electronic boost controller. Careful on targetting exactly your boost pressure with the spring pressure as sometimes you can get slightly more boost than desired (i.e. more than the springs add up to). I would suggest going slightly below by a couple psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back