The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Running a Honda radiator? [Merged 7-9] half scirocco afco smaller

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm going to touch on everything posted. Heat shields would be great. Problem is the factory ones don't fit my turbo or my O2 housing. I had a scirocco radiator here and did not like the way it would fit in my 2G. Afco makes a dual pass that I think may have in the radiator support but I was concerned with low speed cooling of a dual pass radiator(the scirocco is dual pass too). My car also has ducting to direct the air from the intercooler into the radiator. Mounting the radiator on the driverside would be dumb. Hose routing and radiant heat make it not worth the effort. Several Colts and Evos run a similar setup with success. It won't work for a road course car. I highly doubt it would work with ac unless the condensor had a fan on it too. I live in central PA, it might not work in the Texas heat. When I got it done I drove it in stop n go traffic, I drove it up long grades, and I let it idle forever. My EGT's are uneffected and spool up didn't change. My intercooler is 24x12x3.25 for the record. Here's another pic from the otherside.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your engine bay is to clean, how about daily driving in chicago thats a real test to see if it works.

And yes with traffic on the highway and traffic in the city

90tsiawd said:
Not sure about Darryl but Joe Bucci uses the same radiator as I use.
Its a Griffin Scirocco radiator from Summit.
Griffin Radiator
Oh I'm sorry, thanks for clearing that up. I figured it was an aftermarket honda one, but either way its near the same size, perhaps a little bigger. But thanks go out to Zex4g63 for having done this and sharing his experiences so far. Looks like it should work out ok, depending on where you live.

I'm not saying it won't work. It just didn't fit my car the way I wanted it too.

MyBeatGSX said:
But also keep in mind that thicker cores don't cool as well as a thiner core with more frontal surface area.

I've run aftermarket radiators on my Civics and I find it hard to believe they have more coolant capacity than a stock 2G radiator. What did you use for dimensions?

Also, like Defiant said. You're degrading your cooling system just to blow air at the engine... why? If you want to run cooler, upgrade the cooling system, don't downgrade it.

I took those measurements some time ago, so I don't remember the exact numbers. I did a simple L x W x H calculation of the core itself and the Honda one came out on top. The Honda radiator's thickness made up for its width it would seem.

The Griffin core Joe and I use is a bit bigger than the Honda core. We live in south Florida so it will work in any weather. Plus Joes car has the front sealed off so no air even goes threw the radiator to the engine. He used to have radiator like the Honda one and the car would get to hot. It stays rather cool now.
I have a Buschur race core fmic and I never see above 182 degrees coolant temp in the heart of summer just cruising. And mid to upper 190`s when I get stock dead stopped on the interstate.
I use the griffin core because it sits right on the frame rail where the a/c evaporator core would be.(if you have a/c you obviously cant do this)
Having a galant i don't have as much room between the turbo and stock radiator so i needed one that I could move forward. The Honda one wouldn't work for me. I tried that first.
As you can see there isn't much room up front on the galant.
The 2nd pic shows the feet on the radiator that you can just screw down to the frame rail.
For those that can do alittle fabricating there are a few real nice aluminum radiators out there that can work on our cars.

That's exactly the way I originally wanted to do mine. The radiator I had access to just would'nt fit right without cutting the support. I have since found a place that makes cores with no tanks in the dimensions I need. Over the winter I may pick one one up and fab tanks for it.

I figured out why I was confused on Bucci's car, he was running a honda radiator (looks like a stocker?) for a time. He actually ran it for quite a while unless his pictures don't keep up with his progress correctly. He obviously needed to switch to something thicker when he went with the front air dam in order to keep temps down.

SBstar said:
I figured out why I was confused on Bucci's car, he was running a honda radiator (looks like a stocker?) for a time. He actually ran it for quite a while unless his pictures don't keep up with his progress correctly. He obviously needed to switch to something thicker when he went with the front air dam in order to keep temps down.

From what I can see it shows that he uses a griffin radiator in the mod list but all the pictures still show that small radiator. He has had the Griffin radiator for almost a year.
He needs to add some new pictures. Basically he`s a slacker.
Of coarse I still havent put my web site togther so i am a bigger slacker.:D

Yeah I chatted with Joe on another forum about it and he said "I've changed hosting and as soon as I figure out how to publish to my new site, I will update it." so I'm guessing it'll be up eventually. Looking through all the pictures he has on his site still showed him using the honda radiator all the way up through his 14b no nitrous record. Just a guess but I'm thinking he started seeing too high of temps with that front air dam though and switched to the griffin. But the fact that he used that small of a radiator for that long and never mentions problems tells you a little something. Of course this car was only used for drag racing and on a stocker I would say a stock sized honda radiator probably wouldn't work well.

Would the honda aluminum radiator work with a aftermarket push fan on the front side and the stock fan on the back side with both wired to stay on full blast at all times as long as the ign is on. ( How I have my fans wired.) Seems to be interesting thing to do especially since you can pick up a koyo honda radiator on ebay for under 100 bucks, and this allows you to play with room in front of the turbo/o2housing, and do some custom licp set up.
But I do plan to autocross with the car, and I live in Fl so curious to how heat soak would be. If I did it id run straight distilled water and water wetter and I already have a 180deg thermo... Any opinions on my thoughts?

I run a halfcore honda cr in my car.. if i run the fans all the time it gets to about 160 and wont get any hotter.. just ask tym switzer. I mounted mine diagnal in the passenger side where the core support and the frame rail meet.

I run a halfcore honda cr in my car.. if i run the fans all the time it gets to about 160 and wont get any hotter.. just ask tym switzer. I mounted mine diagnal in the passenger side where the core support and the frame rail meet.

oh yea. hmm.. do you have any pics?
I was thinking about getting an koyo or fluidyne aluminum honda radiator off of ebay.
They go for under 100 there, vs buying a full sized dsm koyo radi will run upwards of 200- 300.

I've got a VW quantum SW which has the longitudinal engine, leaves no room for a regular radiator. So the rad is on the drivers side.

Anyway, the entire pass side of the grille is blocked off. This creates a low pressure area behind it which results in more air flow being sucked in through the drivers side and through the radiator.

This might apply well to what you guys are doing, you could always have a duct or two to cool the turbo or exh manifold.

BTW, I'm hoping to use the honda rad to cool my tdi engine transplant into an 81 scirocco, but I won't have the problem with it being so close to the exhaust and the turbo, so it should work well for me.

just wonderin if an aluminum honda radiator would provide enough cooling power for a DSM since it is about half the size of the DSM radiator. if anyone has experiance with this please chime in. can it still be used as a DD? thanks.

supposedly the capacity is larger than an oem radiator because of the thickness of some of the aftermarket honda radiators. I've seen people do it without any problems. I would just make sure you had a nice beefy fan on it. i plan to run one in my 2g race car, but i'll stick to the lifetime warranty stocker in my 1g daily :thumb:

sweet thanks, im going to be putting my 60-1 on my car and since im going to have to take the fan out for the wastegate i might as well get a new radiator, and i was thinking that the more room the better. 1 more question. pusher or puller fan or does it really matter? (but a pusher would provide even more room). thanks again.

sweet thanks, im going to be putting my 60-1 on my car and since im going to have to take the fan out for the wastegate i might as well get a new radiator, and i was thinking that the more room the better. 1 more question. pusher or puller fan or does it really matter? (but a pusher would provide even more room). thanks again.

What manifold are you going to use? I can't see why you'd have to remove teh fan for teh wastegate. ANd are you removing the large main fan or teh smaller secondary one? Also do you want to retain your Air conditioning at all? if so KEEP ALL THE STICK FANS. no one i know thats gone slim line has been able to run their AC since then. that's the reason i've recently found a way to wedge my stock fans back in with my t3/4 and ext. wastegate.... car would overheat with the stock radiator and a slim line and the stock secondary fan

Puller fan setups are inherently more efficient, but not by much.

I have been running a honda rad for over a year. The car is not a daily driver but saw plenty of stop and go in the heat of the summer. It runs the same temp as did with the stocker. I have had zero issues with it. I'm sure it would not work with AC unless you mounted a fan to the condensor.

Hey guys,

You can run the Fluidyne radiator for the Honda Del Sol DOHC on the DSMs, but you will need to add or change the mounting posts and use different radiator hoses. They will cool your car fine, assuming you no longer have A/C in the car and you are running proper fans. We have seen a few cars running this set up and we have done it to several EVOs as well.

Jerry

hey guys i'm kinda stuck, i am looking for a half size rad (like a honda rad) but i dont want the small inlets, i want the normal size, anyone know where i could find something like this?????? Thanks

Are you trying to overheat your car? Unless you find some race radiator, I dont think its possible or a smart choice, our engines need a lot of help cooling as it is. Why would you want to do this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back