The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Passing The Torch “Racecar Sold” New Era Begins!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Collier

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2003
Diego, California
I was getting a bit worried that the racecar might be doomed to the bone yard, stripped naked, a lifeless hunk of Corvette yellow metal, fiberglass, and carbon fiber, sitting dead in some scrap yard.

SURPRISE!! :rocks:

This past Friday morning at 7-am I received a PM from a DSMtuner (ninjai_ruken) simply saying, “I have the 15k if you still have the car?” My sleepy eyes went wide open as coke bottles and my fingers blazed over the keyboard logging on to the site. I returned the message saying, “Call me!” and my phone number. Ten minutes later my cell phone rang with Tyson McBride (ninjai_ruken) saying, “What’s your address in San Diego? I’ll be leaving from Montana in a couple of hours!”

31 hours, a small blizzard, and1400 miles later, an exhausted Tyson McBride pulled into my driveway at 9 pm Saturday night with an ear-to-ear grin on his face. I immediately shoved a beer in his hand and my wife Kathy heated up a huge home cooked fried chicken dinner to counteract the MSG from the Jack In the Box food he consumed while on the road. We spent the next hour in the kitchen talking about his epic journey across 4 states, getting to know each other. A man after my own heart, I thrilled about the news of his continuing the legacy of the racecar. To hear about Tyson’s passion for road racing brought back memories of my own beginnings, but more importantly knowing that the “Flying Banana” will be back racing made me happy! We stayed up until 1:30 in the morning shooting the shit, then made Tyson spend the night so he’d be rested for his trek back into God’s country.

Tyson is a good-natured and intelligent person (not to mention a diligent father of a two year old girl) with a plan. He realizes that it will take a bit of time to organize his race program, but I have a good sense that his motivation and self-discipline will overcome any obstacle that he’s confronted with. I mean hey, he’s starting with a great platform if I don’t say so myself!

Sunday morning Kathy made Tyson breakfast (man this guy can eat!), then we did a complete walk around the racecar. We did a photo journal of the passing of the torch (steering wheel), and discussed tire pressures, drafting aero dynamics, late braking, acceleration, (boy did I talk about acceleration), and the many different elements of racing the Laser. We loaded up his truck with all the spare tires, rims, parts, race pads, etc., and then hooked up the trailer. As Tyson pulled out of the driveway, then down the street, Kathy’s eyes welled up with tears. I saw her and couldn’t stop my own from flowing. With a last wave goodbye I smiled and a warm feeling came over me as I saw the beginning of a new legacy driving down the road…

Greg :thumb:

Attachments

• Race car sale 031.JPG
    Race car sale 031.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 100_0097.JPG
    100_0097.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Race car sale 036.JPG
    Race car sale 036.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,179
  • Race car sale 048.JPG
    Race car sale 048.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,007
The passing of the torch (steering wheel)...

Attachments

• Race car sale 055.JPG
    Race car sale 055.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Race car sale 059.JPG
    Race car sale 059.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Race car sale 061.JPG
    Race car sale 061.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Race car sale 073.JPG
    Race car sale 073.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,167
Good to hear, glad to see you didnt have to strip the car!

-john

So glad that this race monster wasn't simply reduced to parts. Sad to see it leave your hands Greg, but I'm sure Tyson will take care of it. I'm eagerly awaiting his first race report getting used to a total monster of a car. :D

looks nice and warm there. i'll miss the videos and your famous write ups as will we all im sure.

edit: i'm the guy thats been talking to you via email (bobby or zach ;) )

Now we just need a video of the grin on his face the first time he puts the pedal to the floor. Glad to see it go to somebody who's not going to part it out or let it sit and collect dust.

And the reality sets in... I'm glad to see it put in the hands of someone who will race it. It's serving a good purpose. Still, I don't know whether to congratulate you Greg or give my condolences. I'm sure it was like watching your child leaving home.

Tyson, you better stay active around here and keep us updated on how things are going with the car! What tracks you planning on racing at anyway? Is Miller the closest track to you? If so, I'll need to head out there once or twice a year to meet up with you. The NASA group out here in CO tends to use Miller but we don't have the track on our schedule this year for whatever reason.

Sad to see it go but I'm glad you're happy with who it's going to. I hope to see new race updates involving the yellow bannana just with a new driver. :thumb:

I think Ludachris had it right so Congrats and Condolences Greg...I'm also extremely glad to see this car won't be reduced to parts and that its legacy will live on. I hope Trevor does an awesome job getting into the drivers seat of this car that bears your legacy, and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Condolences? It's not like the Flyin' Banana is about to meet it's fate at the crusher. Congrats to Ninjai_Ruken for having the torch passed on to him. Can't wait to hear about his first race.

Is Miller the closest track to you? If so, I'll need to head out there once or twice a year to meet up with you. The NASA group out here in CO tends to use Miller but we don't have the track on our schedule this year for whatever reason.

If he decides to run Miller, he's got free lodging at my place, no questions asked. :thumb:

This is excellent news, Greg and Tyson. The best be to both of you in your endeavors. I look forward to seeing this car in action soon!

Condolences? It's not like the Flyin' Banana is about to meet it's fate at the crusher. Congrats to Ninjai_Ruken for having the torch passed on to him. Can't wait to hear about his first race.

Its condolences because Greg gave up the car he spent so many years with...Not because of the fate of the car...The congrats cover the fate of the car :rocks:

Its condolences because Greg gave up the car he spent so many years with...

This is so true. I wish Greg the best and hope he does well without one of his kids "leaving the nest" so to speak.

Tyson,
I hope your happy with it and you push it like Greg did and keep doing well in the events! Maybe you can push the car keep those ranks and maybe get ole Chris to sponsor you as well :S

Holla,
John

Still can't believe the dynasty is over. Greg, you brought great 'warmth' to the site so don't forget your roots.

Can't forget a big congrats and a good luck to Tyson too!!

I really wish I had a chance to make it down to see you race at Fontana.

Glad to see the beast will be on the track again.

Hey guys, just got in from the road, 2:43am here. Thank you for all your kind words. I will do a full write up on my trip tomorrow afternoon as well as my future plans. I want to thank Greg and Kathy for there wonderful hospitality! Kathy is a kick ass cook! and I miss the dogs already. I have so much road lag its not even funny. I cant even walk with out looking like I had a few beers! I just got done driving 18 hours today, 1900Miles on the way back. Full write up on its way, but for now im going to pass out.

Edit: Man you can really tell im going bald in some of the pictures!

Hey Tyson, glad to see your made it back! 1900 miles, in two days, towing a trailer, is absolutely insane! Going bald???? At least you don't look like frigging Moses right after he came down from Mt. Sinai ROFL ROFL

First off I would like to thank Greg and his wife again, they are great people and it’s hard to find people with that kind of kindness and generosity in this world. When I first seen the car for sale in the classifieds I about fell out of my chair. But at the time there was not price on the car. Then about a week later something told me to check the add again, and there it was in black $15,000.00! I about fell out of my chair again. I was pretty sure I could come up with the 15k plus the money needed for the gas. I sent Greg a pm but because my computer has been acting weird I also sent him an email. He sent me a pm back asking to call him and from there I hit the road.

Now for the people who have been through Montana, Eastern Montana is pretty flat and the roads are usually free of snow and ice. As I drove past billings and started to climb into the Rockies, things started getting bad real fast. Snow, and Ice and the worst of it I could not even see the road and had Semi Trucks blowing by me like I was stand still. And I had to go to the bathroom BAD! I finally came to an off ramp pulled off the Interstate jumped out and began to use the bath room. Funny thing was. As I was standing there in the dark I remember thinking to myself. “Bad horror movies start out this way!” LoL. After that I drove on to Idaho Falls, ID were I stopped for the night. The rest of the way to San Diego was nice no blowing snow and warm. I learned something new from this road trip. The people in California who speed travel in packs! By the time I got to Greg’s house I was so tired I could not even think. I was so mentally fatigued from the drive. But it was nothing a good home cooked meal some beers and a nights rest could not fix.

The next day was spent talking about the car loading tires and other stuff. I have to tell the truth. I almost did not want to take the car. Because of the love and time Greg and his wife as well as many other people have put into this car. I could tell that it was a part of them and not the easiest thing for them to see it go. More on the trip to come in Part two. I need to sit down and starting thinking of a Schedule for me. Plus I have a two year old who is tugging on my leg screaming for some attention. LoL.. I can tell you this, I am not going to just jump in the car and take off. I am going to spend a lot of time getting a feel for the car before I head to the track. Oh and Greg, Ill try not to flat spot any tires when getting a feel for the Stop Tech’s LOL :thumb:

I have nothing profound to say, so:

Greg, :sosad: :( ;)

Tyson, :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

I wish I had the money to buy it when I was over there, you would have just had a different trailer in your drive. Congrats on the sale Greg! And congrats on the buy Tyson. That car is a great piece of equipment.

Congrats Tyson - you planning on taking the car to Miller in Utah? It would appear that's the closest track to you from what I can tell.

Not sure yet, I do have plans to run it at as many tracks as I can to during the 2008 season. I want to spend a lot of this season getting used to the car, But I will make it there this year I am sure. I am going to do a full write up of what tracks I am going to do this year as well as some pictures and more. I know for a fact 2008 season is going to be a full race season for me!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back