The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

NEON TRANY TO 420a DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbizmo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Salinas, California
well I did some searching and I found out that I can drop in a dodge neon transmission. on to my 1997 eclipse nt. only thing I would have to do is change the bell housing from the eclipse to the neon trany.

my questions are:

what year does the dodge neon have to be? SOHC or DOHC?

which transmission is better. The NEON or THE ECLIPSE?

I am looking for a better and stronger trany with better gear ratio I spin out on 1 and 2 and its getting boring.

I heard that a 3.55 is better when turbo than the 3.94 but, Which is which what is a 3.55 and 3.94?

please help I want my car back and running stronger than ever:pray:

ok well I got lucky today I went to PICK n PULL and someone pulled the motor from a 2004 SOHC dodge neon so all i had to do was take the bolts from the trany off and there it was $135 how cheap is that.

I just have a question do I still have to transfer my eclipse bell housing to the neon one? because the trany that I got looks exactly the same as the one I have in my car right now.

also does it use the same trany fluid as the eclipse? I believe its NVT-350 trans axle correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe you'll have to change the bell housing. The only reason you had to change it on earlier model transmissions was because they used cable operated clutches, as opposed to the hydraulic clutches the Eclipses and later model Neons used.

Use the same transmission fluid for both transmissions.

Does the 2004 neon trany come with qualife LSD?

Last edited:
That's correct, late 2000+ neons got the hydraulic setup. So perhaps you won't have to do too much. They are NVT-350's. The one you have is probably the 3.55 final drive ratio. The 3.94's came with the R/T's ACR's and some DOHC Sport Neons, thus slightly harder to find. The SRT4 uses a NVT-850 transmission, and the 2003 MY SRT did not get the LSD...

I found a transmission for a 01or 02 pt cruise but i guess its the same as the neon. he want 350$ do you guys think it worth it and will it even fit. Im debating to either get a tranny or buy the obx lsd. If you guys could help i need all the info i can get thanks...

I found a transmission for a 01or 02 pt cruise but i guess its the same as the neon. he want 350$ do you guys think it worth it and will it even fit. Im debating to either get a tranny or buy the obx lsd. If you guys could help i need all the info i can get thanks...

The PT Cruiser uses the NVT850. It will not fit.

ok guys thanks for the info i think im gonna just keep my original tranny i have a spare in case i trash one. im just worried about the lsd install if i should take it to a trans shop or do it my self..?

The PT Cruiser uses the NVT850. It will not fit.
Ah crap, this is not entirely true.

The ah crap part comes from me not knowing the years of the Cruiser tranny that you can use :ohdamn: (while yes, the PT Cruiser does generally use the nvt- 850 and it will not work for our cars). But some earlier year Cruisers do have the T-350. If you are wondering about one in your possesion, just pull the numbers off the plate that's rivetted on it.

If I come up with the years, I will edit in.

MB

Thanks for clarifying that Mark. I was under the impression they all used the NVT-850.

yeah the guy said its the same as the 01 neon but im not forsure. I have another trans how could i find out if its from a neon the bell housing looks like its been swapped the silicon looks fresh so maybe i already have one i just dont know..?i will go and took at the tag. what should i look for?

little off topic but when i had my n/t 2g i always wondered if the turbo pt curiser trans would fit but got rid of the car before i got to turboing it

The turbo PT should run the same trans as the SRT4. The nv-850.. if that's the case, then no. Actually, the SRT trans is not all that great. It's strong, for sure, but it was originally designed for diesels. I know some SRT guys that are having issues with it past 6000rpm. it's also incredibly heavy. For the most part, the turbo dodge and neon crowd stick with the older transmissions when doing an 2.4L engine transplant. The nv-350 for the neons, and the a-555 or a-568 for the older dodge cars.

Now PT's came with an automagic option as well. That would be the A604 trans in that case.

well i tried matching the numbers on the tag 2 the numbers on the link. i could find that exact number but my numbers are nv-t350
n 890 2755 0371 so if anybody running a neon tranny let me know what your tag says... thanks im just trying to figure out if this tranny i have just laying in my garage is a neon trans...

well i tried matching the numbers on the tag 2 the numbers on the link. i could find that exact number but my numbers are nv-t350
n 890 2755 0371 so if anybody running a neon tranny let me know what your tag says... thanks im just trying to figure out if this tranny i have just laying in my garage is a neon trans...
Hmm, well, I did a little "net" researching and I have it narrowed down to a 95-97 Neon tranny. Oddly that's as far as I could narrow it down. I imagine, if you got a buddy at a Chrysler dealership, they may be able to tell you more. I'm just not that familiar with looking up "Chrysler" part numbers.

MB

Hmm, well, I did a little "net" researching and I have it narrowed down to a 95-97 Neon tranny. Oddly that's as far as I could narrow it down. I imagine, if you got a buddy at a Chrysler dealership, they may be able to tell you more. I'm just not that familiar with looking up "Chrysler" part numbers.

MB

so do u think it could be a neon gear box im just curious. because if i install a lsd i wanna put it in the right tranny u know.:confused:

as for installing the lsd i dont think it should be that difficult i was looking at this link and it has the whole break down for our trans. look at page 21-19 http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neonfsm/2000/EPL_21.pdf

so do u think it could be a neon gear box
Hmm, well, I did a little "net" researching and I have it narrowed down to a 95-97 Neon tranny

im just curious. because if i install a lsd i wanna put it in the right tranny u know.:confused:
As far as the lsd goes, as long as its a nvt-350 its the same application. The only thing you are concerned with is using the same final drive gear. The gearbox itself is the same except for the ring gear on the diff and the appropriate matching gear on the secondary shaft. That's where your 3.55 vs 3.94 differences lie (oh yeah, and the .72 vs .81 5th gear. Very slight difference on the 3.94. Also keep in mind that the early Neon tranny's came with a cable activated bellhousing. Yours is hydraulic. You would need to pull the bellhousing off your old tranny and put it on your "new/different" tranny. As well as the shift arms mounted on the outside of the tranny. The Neons are slightly longer)

as for installing the lsd i dont think it should be that difficult i was looking at this link and it has the whole break down for our trans. look at page 21-19 http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neonfsm/2000/EPL_21.pdf
Actually not that difficult. but here let me give you a bit more of a simple install application (for some reason the pics aren't working in the first link?);
2GNT.com - 3.55

_-| Neon NVG NT350 Differential Installation / Swap |-_

Keep in mind that the second one talks about setting preload. While that is definitely the best thing to do, there are many out there who haven't done it that are still running fine. What the preload is basically talking about is having your bearing to bearing dimension on the diff too tight or too loose. That could cause premature wear on your cone bearings.

MB

edit in; here's a link in case you have your case cracked and were wondering which you have ;
http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Differences_in_the_3.94

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back