The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

It is hard to get used to the car being quiet again. I used the Topline ones. They work great. I never thought of lifters as a mod but, my car is much smoother when accelarating. Aren't the 3rd gen lifters from the 3rd gen eclipse? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong :D, 3G lifters = 3rd generation REVISED lifters which comes stock on 99's.

How come my lifters are ticking?? I'm curious do the revised lifters eventually get lifter tick? There are 140k miles on those lifters if it make any difference. I was going to purchase revised lifters but if i already have those I don't want them since they make a bunch of noise haha. :confused:

could be due to 140k miles on them. . . you do usually see wear and tear on parts at high mileage.

Sorry to bring this thread up. Today i installed all 16 3rd gen lifters, using proper procedures like soaked them in oil. Drained the oil out etc... But how come i still get the ticking noises.

I heard people mentioned that air/bubbles are still in the lifters that is why it caused the noise. So what is the best way to eliminate the problem ?

1. Reinstall all 16 lifters
2. Keep driving until it goes away

Many Thanks,

V

Sorry to bring this thread up. Today i installed all 16 3rd gen lifters, using proper procedures like soaked them in oil. Drained the oil out etc... But how come i still get the ticking noises.

I heard people mentioned that air/bubbles are still in the lifters that is why it caused the noise. So what is the best way to eliminate the problem ?

1. Reinstall all 16 lifters
2. Keep driving until it goes away

Many Thanks,

V
The noise should go away after about 20 mins of driving if not less, after that, you can start worrying. ;)

To beat Defiant to the post ;).. Remember our cars have Hydrolic Lash Adjusters (HLAs) not Lifters. Their sole purpose in life is to maintain constant rocker contact to the camshaft lobes using engine oil pressure.

If engine oil pressure is outside the normal range for both cold/hot engine (oil viscosity, crappy filter=FRAM, no balance shafts/squirters) then the HLAs performance may be affected.

Note that it is also very possible for a car that has a noisy valvetrain even after changing to the revised HLAs to have it's cam timing off enough to allow for piston-to-valve contact in our interference engines (happened to me). Timing belts jump due to failures of their own Tensioner everyday or have been installed incorrectly.

Definitely check there first as not something you want to ignore even if a slight chance exists :dsm:

I got a built head with BC 272's, BC valve springs and retainers, and also the 3g lifters. Got the whole cylinder head machined and everything.
I have put around 1500 miles on the whole setup and there has still been lots of lifter tick noise. Would this be from improper install? I believe it was worse at first but still definitely has lifter tick which is really annoying. Especially since I payed an extra $100 to get them put in.

I'd been driving it for a day but the ticking noise is still there. It usually happens 5-10 mins after the engine started. I will try to change the oil to thinner version like 0-30W or 5-30W hope it helps take away the bubbles that were there. Probably do the seafoam too :)

a couple quick questions. what is the success rate of removing lifters and cleaning them to fix ticks? has anyone tried to enlarge the stock oil holes? do dsm cams/lifters establish wear pattern, i ask this because it was suggested to reuse gen 3 lifters on another motor in the lifter thread.

Revised lifter's are a good bet. Don't try to open them up, it will cost you more to do that (professionaly) then buying revised lifters. Don't do it yourself, cause you will mess something up. The rocker arms are incontact with the cams so the rocker arm's MUST stay with the same lobes, unless your going for new rockers, or new cams. The lifters are hydrolic so they shouldn't have much wear, but Id keep them with the same rockers just in case (if your just going to clean them). One way to clean them is put some ATF (roughly 1 cup) into the oil, and run it for 10-15 miles or so, then do an oil change.

a couple quick questions. what is the success rate of removing lifters and cleaning them to fix ticks? has anyone tried to enlarge the stock oil holes? do dsm cams/lifters establish wear pattern, i ask this because it was suggested to reuse gen 3 lifters on another motor in the lifter thread.

The revised lash adjusters (lifters) have larger holes than the stock ones. So by upgrading your lifters, you're enlarging the oil holes. I don't know if anyone has tried to drill out larger holes or not. I'm too chicken-shit to try that one.

I'd guess that the success rate of cleaning lifters is pretty good. They're last in the oil passage, so they have low pressure, and the small passages get clogged with sludge over time. If you clean the stock lifters, they'll stop ticking, but only until more sludge restricts oil flow. I imagine revised lifters may eventually tick.

I used an oil treatment in an attempt to help with tick, but it didn't really do much. I ran the car for a week or two with the additive before changing the oil; it's been said to reduce the effectiveness of the oil, so I didn't want to keep it in there too long.

I upgraded lifters recently, and I'm thinking of running an additive for a week prior to each oil change just to keep sludge in check.

I'm not sure if there are any problems with reusing lifters at different lobes (in the same or different engine), but one lifter cleaning FAQ I read mentioned labeling the lifters so you could reinstall them into the original location...hints that their may be wear patterns, but not conclusive in my book.

They're hardened. You won't be drilling anything.
If you're going to the bother of pulling them because of ticking, go ahead and just replace them with new.

Yeah.... I made that mistake. I went ahead and tried cleaning my 1g lifters and they did away with the phantom knock for a good drive or two. Then it briskly came back. Then it got worse than before. I'm pretty sure I need an oil change but I went ahead and installed my 3g lifters and my PK is GONE...hear that GONE! NO MORE TICKING!!! NO MORE PULLED TIMING!!! I'm pretty excited after a month long struggle with it.... Grrr....
Kinda like knowing the baby's diaper needs changed but too lazy to build the diaper... No I dont have kids. Get the new lifters and be happy at lights when chics don't look at your car like its gonna blow up... TICKing time bomb....

Cleaning them can fix the problem, so long as they're fully and properly cleaned and reinserted with the oiling passages offset. Lifter tick can come back (and get worse) after a cleaning if you haven't gotten ALL of the gunk out, and there's a chunk that just came loose and is still sitting inside, or worse yet completely blocking the oiling passage.

That said, swapping to the revised lifters is a MUCH better option. Only about $80 for a full set of Toplines (OEM buys Toplines and re-brands them, or doesn't even bother), and it makes the tick problems go away. Doesn't stop our cars from sounding like sewing machines at idle though. :D

Well I finally got my car back up and running after a tranny rebulid and bunch of other crap. I ended up putting royal purple 5w-30 in it and guess what i have no more lifter tick, my car had it pretty bad before. i was using mobil 1 with synthetic lucas but still had tick. i my book i think the royal purple really helped.:thumb:

yea at 80 a case thats the only downside, but its nice not having people ask me what is wrong with my engine LOL.

royal purple is a group 4 or 5 oil i belive and is a full synthetic great stuff, mobile is still group 3 and actully is not a full synthetic:nono:

Help lifter tick try a bigger oil filter off of the same year 3000 gt or as long as the thread is the same use a bigger oil filter. Seafoam your motor by putting it in the oil before an oil change. Drive 20 miles then drain, then fill with some cheap $1 oil drive it for 20 or so miles to rinse the rest of the seafoam out then use a regular oil.

even adding ATF to your oil a day before an oil change will clean up lifters really nice. I like the royal purple, I just can't afford it :)

I have the same problem with my GSX. I already bought the lifters and was wondering if anyone had a step by step with or without pics? I have a Hanes but we know how good they work at times.

thanks,

Seann

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back