The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

I don't know if you can hear it well to know but here it is.
I'm getting a 6bolt soon so not to worried.

<embed src="http://www.powertvonline.com/xp2/ZHNtLnBvd2VydHZvbmxpbmUuY29t/6282/1130/off" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="343"></embed>​

Does it ever go away? Try following the steps on vfaq and on the forum to get rid of it. My 1g has it on startup and sometimes when i let it idle for a while, but it goes away quickly. What oil you using and what kind of oil pressure you getting.

James :laser::talon:

i wouldnt run synthetic first of all. Run a castrol 10w-30 of 10w-50 or something along those lines. And run a bottle of lucas with it next oil change.

James :laser::talon:

Ok, so I don't know if it's lifter tick or a rod knocking. To me it doesn't sound like it's hitting hard enough to be a rod, but it ticks really loud, and it does it as soon as I start the car. Does lifter tick occur in idle? Or just when you get on it? Do I have lifter tick or a rod knocking? It's right under the valve cover, and after reading through this forum I've slowly decided myself it's lifter tick, but most people say that it ticks quietly, or when they hit 1500 rpms. My tick starts with the car starting. Got any ideas lady's and gents?

Sound like you have lifter tick, i spun the #1 rod bearing and would only hear it at over 3k rpm, it made more of a rattling noise.

Thanks alot. I just ordered a new set of lifters. I was surprised when they only ran me 115 dollars including shipping. The dealer i called yesterday was gonna charge me 340 for the whole set. What in the world are they trying to prove?? haha, oh well. I got them cheap and I'm happy. Thanks guys for all your help! This forum has saved me large amounts of money. I was saving up for a new engine because I thought I threw a rod. :thumb:

I need help!!! I replaced all sixteen lifters and the tick is not gone! In fact...it's running even worse!! any ideas? What do I do?

im in the same exact boat,i replaced my all 16 lifters to a revised ones,still ticking,.when im gonna get a chance,ill take the timing cover and see what do i have under it,maybe some bad pulleys or something like that are making that annoying sound...

Ah, yes that may be the problem for yours. I looked mine over and i'm stumped completely. I thought maybe it needed timed, but it doesn't. I haven't got a mechanics oppinion yet, but my dads thinking i've spun a rod bearing. I may end up having to rebuild my engine. Which I hope that I don't have to. But in your case, I hope you figure out what the problem is so that you don't have to through a rebuild either. In the case of a rebuild, any idea on the best kits? Thanks

I have heard that if you do not prime the lifters before you put them in, they will tick for a while (not sure how to do this). This might sound dumb but i was using Mobil1 10w30 oil / Purelator one oil filter and my lifters would clatter so loud i thought the engine was going to blow. I changed to Castrol Syntec 10w30 and Mobil1 oil filter and the ticking has all but stopped. I think it has to do with the type of oil filter you use, the oem, Mobil1 or K&N filters work best for me :)

Ah, yes that may be the problem for yours. I looked mine over and i'm stumped completely. I thought maybe it needed timed, but it doesn't. I haven't got a mechanics oppinion yet, but my dads thinking i've spun a rod bearing. I may end up having to rebuild my engine. Which I hope that I don't have to. But in your case, I hope you figure out what the problem is so that you don't have to through a rebuild either. In the case of a rebuild, any idea on the best kits? Thanks

i got 600 miles on my fresh motor,all forged internals,so i think it would be hard to spun a bearing,i was driving with 10psi of boost.im gonna redo the timming and see whats gonna go from there....

600 fresh miles? Thats awesome. 1g or 2g? I wasn't saying that you may have spun a rod bearing. I just think that I have. We replaced the lifters, drove it about one block and my oil pressure dropped dramatically, along with my temp sky rocketing in a matter of seconds. It may also be my oil pump I suppose. Let me know how yours works out!

i find the problem,mines was a stupid as* tensioner pulley,that was making sound LOL,i replaced that one,no more annoying sound ......
in your case if you got low oil pressure,i would say spun bearing,

We're tearing it apart here in the next few days, I'll let you know what the problem was. I fear its a rod bearing, but who knows, it may be something simple.

Yesterday was the first time I started hearing this. Started the car in the morning after it had been sitting for a good 12 hours or so. Heard a ticking noise. Sounds like lifters or valves. It gets quieter as the car warms up / rpms drop. But when I start driving, I can hear it pretty good...it'll get faster and a bit louder as the rpms go up, which is understandable. But then after its fully warmed up and I've been driving for maybe 5 minutes or so, it'll go away. I can't hear it at all. And when I got off of work yesterday, I heard it. And after the car had been sitting about 2 hours after I got home it did the same thing. This morning, same thing.

So my question is, what can I do about it? I don't have the money to buy new lifters.

Like I said, I don't have the money to buy the lifters right now. So what would be a "quick fix" if anything

From what I have read the best, temp, solution is an engine clean and then use oil or additives with detergent level. Helps keep the oil passages a little cleaner.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back