The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Info on 2.3 stroker with fp3065

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naspat99

Probationary Member
Oct 12, 2004
allentown, Pennsylvania
Hey guys i just wanted some input from anyone with experience with the 2.3 stroker and a big turbo..

I plan on gettin the fp 3065 turbo i have a 91 tsi all the supporting mods. as of now all i wanna do with it is run about 24 psi on pump (94 octane) as a street car with some track use...from what i have heard and read this turbo hits full boost on a 2.0 at about 4600-4900 rpms i was wonderin how much this would drop with a stroker runnin 8.8comp pistons. the only person i have spoken to with a stroker said he didnt like it but i forget his reason....what if any are the downsides to the stroker ...i was lookin at the slowboy stage 1 or stage 2 2.3 kits. i figure the stroker would give me more low end torque as well as high end power with better spool on such a big turbo. also would a stroker require any extra fuel settup or would it be the same as the 2.0 (injector size, pumps, lines?)
Any info is greatly appreciated thanks guys

do you know his screename or email or anything?

I've spoken to Brian @ FP about my application, (similar to yours) he said they just came out with a FP 3565 which is ideal for a 2.3 with cams. :thumb:

93AWDTalon1 said:

Hey, I know that guy, he's pretty cool. ;)

The FP3565 is not "new", just not very common. It's a more expensive CHRA and they have to bore out their turbine housing to make it fit, so most people don't go for it when the 3065 has proven to work quite well.

My times aren't terribly impressive, but if I compare me then vs me the year before, it doesn't look so bad. I dropped a little over full second on the ET and picked up 13 mph or so on pump gas compared to my old 2.0L / full garrett 50 trim setup the year before. I beleive I could have done better, but I only went to the track a couple times, mostly I just putter around on the street. ;) The 2.4L/FP3065 also seems to spool faster, and the transient boost response (from a roll/shift recover) is way better.

2.4/2.3L + FP3x65 = Highly enjoyable street car. I would definately recomend it. :thumb:

One of these days I'll stop changing things long enough to do "well" with a setup.

whats the difference in the fp3565 compared to the 3065? more air? more power? slower spool? lots of lag? ...also with a stroker on a 3065 and 25psi what kinda numbers where you puttin down?? at what rpm?? im gonna have 272's and a decent built valvetrain.

Best at the track was a 12.1 @ 116 on 91 octane gas, 4200' ASL (above sea level). That's been almost two years ago though, and I'm pretty sure it had more in it.

FP3565 is the same as the FP3065 except it has a larger turbine wheel. That generally means slower spool, but more peak power.

sunflashx said:
FP3565 is the same as the FP3065 except it has a larger turbine wheel. That generally means slower spool, but more peak power.
Basically, the big thing is Brian and i were afraid i might max out the turbine housing with a ported head, racing cams, and more displacement. So the spool should be around 4200. :sneaky:

Precision said:
Basically, the big thing is Brian and i were afraid i might max out the turbine housing with a ported head, racing cams, and more displacement. So the spool should be around 4200. :sneaky:

I'm guessin your talkin about the 3575 not the 3065?? so what your sayin than is with a settup like hks 272's a 2.3 stroker and head work the 3575 should spool at like 4200 or so?? what is the power output?? what extra mods i would have to do(Different fuel system stronger clutch?) with the 3575 over the 3065?? (I'll be running 24-25 psi on 94 octane)

Also has anyone used or heard anything about the FULL RACE exhaust manifold supposedly it adds like 40whp? Check it out here

naspat99 said:
I'm guessin your talkin about the 3575 not the 3065?? so what your sayin than is with a settup like hks 272's a 2.3 stroker and head work the 3575 should spool at like 4200 or so?? what is the power output?? what extra mods i would have to do(Different fuel system stronger clutch?) with the 3575 over the 3065?? (I'll be running 24-25 psi on 94 octane)

Also has anyone used or heard anything about the FULL RACE exhaust manifold supposedly it adds like 40whp? Check it out here

if i am not mistaken they are reffering to the not advertised fp35-65 not 3575.... its a 3065 with a bigger turbine (35) with the same compressor (65)

naspat99 said:

the full-race manifold would not work for this application as it is made with a t3 or t4 manifold and the fp turbo's use a mitsu housing

Interesting thead, although old.

I too will be in the market for a new turbo in the next 6 months or so, and I am looking into the FP 3065 w/ my 2.3L, however I'm tainted w/ the info on this 3565. I'm interested in learning more about this specific turbo. Since this thread is out of date, why is this 3565 turbo not on FP's site?

I am buying a new turbo in next few weeks and can't decide on FP3052 or FP3065.I have a 2.4 so spool around 4000 seems fine.Had that on my 2.0 with a 50 trim RS49 AGP before and it seemed ok.You can gear down most of the time anyway just going up thru the gears you sometimes wish for a bit faster spool but bet you would start seeing boost on an FP3065 at just over the 3000 mark with a 2.4 anyway.And it won't take full boost out of one of the monsters to be going way too fast on the street anyway!!
That new one sounds slightly interesting too.But sure a 3065 is plenty for me.
I just want to know if the 3065 still have most of the same jet sound that the 3052 has?

i ran my 2.3 stroker w/ 9:1 comp pistons, fpcam3's and a 3575 w/ a 40mm w/g... spool up was GREAT... (3800) this combo spooled up quicker then the fp red on a 2.0 w/ web cams i ran... then i ran the 3065 w/ the same motor/cam combo and can we say spools up like a 16g but has HELLA topend and hits HARD??? ive since sold the car and i never turned the boost up past 30 psi on either turbo... and i had a spool for a center diff in the trans as well as a lsd in the front diff and that car shit and git!!... i built it planning on running upwards of 40psi and the car was so crazy at 30.. i never attemped anything higher......

project_tsi said:
Interesting thead, although old.

I too will be in the market for a new turbo in the next 6 months or so, and I am looking into the FP 3065 w/ my 2.3L, however I'm tainted w/ the info on this 3565. I'm interested in learning more about this specific turbo. Since this thread is out of date, why is this 3565 turbo not on FP's site?
You just have to talk to FP about you set up and the'll come up with a set up that will knock you socks off, the 3565 has been out for a while, it's just not listed on the websight. Just call FP and talk to brian in the turbo rebuild department.:rocks:

I said heck with it since have the 2.4 engine and ordered me a FP3065. I figure what heck might as well have the extra there if want to use it someday and yeah I know they have even crazier stuff but really that is I am sure lots enough for me in this car.I have a 99 trans am planning a big single or set of twins for it so the FP3065 on the talon will just have to do! LOL
Sure with all my supporting mods it will be freakin awesome.
And on the subject curious if any of you guys are running wisecos and around 30psi and maybe small shots of spray then can you share what your piston to wall clearance and your top and 2nd ring gaps..
Also if you are running cometic hp are you using hylomar or copper spray or running it dry.Wiseco recommended .0035 ,019 top and .021 2nd ring.
On the gasket thing some guys saying they used the copper on their cometic hp and some say hylomar is the ticket.
And cometic says put it in dry.I did get my head and block smoothed but no one in my town can do ra cheques..
Also what kind of hp with good tunes can I expect again 15,20,25,30 with the FP3065 and my mods.
As you can see have Jm fab intake,crower stage 3s,big extreme turbo race fmic,dsmlink and maf and big fuel system with 950s and reg and supra pump.

Precision said:
You just have to talk to FP about you set up and the'll come up with a set up that will knock you socks off, the 3565 has been out for a while, it's just not listed on the websight. Just call FP and talk to brian in the turbo rebuild department.:rocks:

It is on thier website, but it is listed under the CHRAs. It is essentially a gt35r in their fp30 turbine houing.

What do you guys rev to with most of your strokers cause the miss conception seems to be that people with strokers can't rev as high as 2.0l guys. I kno wthat if I blow the motor I have whihc is probably likely sooner or later that I will be def thinking about going with a stroker but I read evil eagle say he had a storker kept going threw cranks and so he went to 2.0 and never looked back and he's running 10.6 and of course some guy named john is using one too. Even with that said I can't see a built motor that will spool my turbo 3-400rpms sooner and give me more torque a bad thing.

I have a 2.4 but not sure how reliable it will be.I would have bought new eagle forged crank but too late now. I only polished my super low mileage crank. No turning!
I won't be tracking the car so hope it will survive and think keep the rev limiter to 7500 max not sure if 8000 is pushing it. I know at least three guys with 2.4s with no problems so far.They all seem to like them.If my crank breaks than build a stronger 2.4 assuming can find a block again.

Slippi84 said:
What do you guys rev to with most of your strokers cause the miss conception seems to be that people with strokers can't rev as high as 2.0l guys. I kno wthat if I blow the motor I have whihc is probably likely sooner or later that I will be def thinking about going with a stroker but I read evil eagle say he had a storker kept going threw cranks and so he went to 2.0 and never looked back and he's running 10.6 and of course some guy named john is using one too. Even with that said I can't see a built motor that will spool my turbo 3-400rpms sooner and give me more torque a bad thing.

8500 is pretty much the max rpm for strokers. Al suposed has his rev limiter set to 8900 in his stroker evo, but I think he only wrings it out that much on the 1-2 shift. The stroker should also spool the turbo a good deal faster. There's 15-20% more airflow going through the motor at the same rpm, so you should see a good redcution in spool times.

I realize the stroker will spool the turbo at lower rpm that is well known fact.A 2.4 is technically not a stroker so would think it could be revved to normal rpms that a 2.0 sees although I planned to set my rev limiter at 7500 maybe 8000 tops. It should be easier to shift the trans at lower rpm also and be a bit less hard on parts maybe.

The reason you don't spin a stroker as fast as the 2.0 is piston speed. The piston speed in a 2.3 and 2.4 is the same since they are using the same crank. Even thou the 2.4 is not a stroker you still don't want to spin it to fast. You can easily spin either at 9k, but reliabilty will suffer.

Old thread, I know...

Am I the only one that is building the 2.3 for a fun "quick" car?

I'm slapping the 3052 on and contimplating a set of FP2's or FP1x (sans spring upgrade) I think I'll set the rev limiter to 8k, but I doubt I'll go there often..

I've got a stock transmission so I don't have dreams of low 11's or anything, I'd love to hit high 11's with this setup, but mostly I want a fun DD that is capible of getting decent gas milage (my other vehicle barely breaks double digits on MPG)

To that effect I think i'm going to keep the stock 2g head / intake mani (its got a very low torque curve) and toss cams in & I should have a damn fun daily driver, I bet that 3052 will spool like a 16g or better (T-25?)

Guess I'm just weird though

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back