The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to avoid water spotting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tay97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Plaistow, New_Hampshire
I always wash my car by hand but no matter what i do I cant avoid the water droplets from drying on the car and looking terrible. I have a chamois but even then there are still droplets that dry on the car. What are some techniques you guys use?

Use a inline water filter, the spots are from minerals in the water

I always wash my car by hand but no matter what i do I cant avoid the water droplets from drying on the car and looking terrible. I have a chamois but even then there are still droplets that dry on the car. What are some techniques you guys use?

Get a water softener. I could wash my car at the car wash my place or my friends with no issues but if I went to my parents it would be covered with spots. They had well water.

Or you could just wax after :p

waterblade followed by a absorber.

huh, i havent tried a squeegee yet LOL. I might just get a squeegee and do all the other things mentioned. Thats should probably take care of it.

I just use the absorber brand dryer, never left a spot. Unless your talking about water spotting from when you drive off and it comes out from all the nooks and crannies. Then I use a a leaf blower to keep that from happening.

The Absorber rules; I'll never go back to a leather chamois cloth again!

After you wipe the car down, go for a quick spin around the block and stab the brakes a couple times to dry the rotors. When you get back wipe all the drips that blew out of the nooks and crannies.

I was cracking up at the use of a leaf blower for detailing... Not saying I wouldn't do it myself, I just don't own a leaf blower. I could see the look on my neighbors faces though: ---->WTF

I use the leaf blower method most of the time, and then wipe the car down with a shammy just in case I missed something :thumb: However, most of the time I don't have the time to do this anymore...

Lol I thought I was crazy myself but even the plug in types are powerful. It pisses me off when I wash my car and drive home and see water on the back bumper or right under the mirrors on the door So this helps that.

+1 on the waterblade followed by the Absorber. To make it even easier though, when you have finished rinsing the vehicle, remove the nozzle from the hose, and starting from the roof of the car, let the water 'cascade' down over the vehicle. That will cause a 'sheeting' action, and it easily cuts down on the number of droplets.

....and if you really want to be anal like me, after you have done the 'cascade' rinse, open and shut both doors firmly a few times to force the excess water out of the seems. Then use the blade/Absorber.

One more thing...take your driver license, credit card, or something similar, fold the Absorber around it, and insert it into the gap on the side mirrors. That will dry up most, if not all the water, and keep it from spraying droplets on the side of your car while you drive.

Sorry for the novel, but I really dislike water droplets and road spray on a clean car!

:D
At least I am not the only one that jams the absorber into the mirror gap... I have a paint stirring stick in the trunk specifically for getting the water and crud out of the nooks.

I agree with the water cascading method as a technique. The 'larger' amount of water you can get to rinse over your car at once, the less droplets you'll have to deal with.

The number one thing you can do to avoid to prevent water spots, and the thing almost no one does(and it was mentioned)..don't wash and dry your car in the sun or while your car is hot! #1#1#1#1. If you have a garage, do it there. The same goes for polishes, waxes and buffing compounds. Applying these things in the sun will ruin your day.

Here's how I do mine with and it leaves no spots ever. 1. In cool area cascade water from the top down for final rinse. 2. Water blade or chamois dry entire car to get the large remaining wet areas. 3. Squeeze dry chamois and go over car again getting the areas you missed because they are small and you just wanted to get the large water areas off as quickly as possible. 4. Then squeeze dry chamois again and go over all the seams like mirrors and trim with an air nozzle----soak up all the water that comes out of these areas with dry chamois. You will never have water spots if you do this no mater how hard your water is.

If you've got stubborn old spots that always come back after a fresh wash...well that needs to be polished out. You may want to google clay bars as well if you're going down that route. It's a lot of elbow grease that's involved and you'll need a polisher(NOT a waxer like you get at walmart) to fix what a clay bar does, but the results are second to none

Man i love this thread..my black cars were always the worst to wash. Been getting lazy on my gold yukon since the spots dont show but will definately use the credit card and shammy technique in cracks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back