The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Paint "spotting" inside engine bay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetech0922

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2010
Piedmont, South_Carolina
I am currently painting my Engine Bay with 500 degree engine paint. The original paint color in red and i am changing it over bright green. I have already wet sanded the whole compartment and i am running into the paint "spotting" in certain spots. It seems that the paint isn't sticking to little spots on the metal. Is that just do to the first coat? or do i need to sand the areas that it does it really bad over again? I have already started so there is no turning back now :hellyeah:

its called fisheye let it dry give it a light scuff with a maroon scotchbright pad and wipe it down real good next couple coats dust it on lightly to get it to even out then give it a good coat. should be all good

There is some sort of contaminant where it fisheyed. sand and then wipe down with a prep solvent to remove the contaminant, then paint.

Clean the area thoroughly with prep all, and repaint. There is contamination under the paint and it could possibly chip off if not taken care of.

Last edited:
ok thanks guys...so just use the "prep all" on the whole including the new paint that i just sprayed on?

1. Use "prep all" on the whole engine
2. Re-sand the whole area again
3. Paint the whole area with many coats LOL

I sanded it down the best i could and then i wet sanded after that. I didn't realize that there was a thing such as Prep All. And do the make high temp primer? Or would regular primer work just fine?

thanks on the hood its what i do for a living. Are you painting the engine or engine compartment?

I sanded it down the best i could and then i wet sanded after that. I didn't realize that there was a thing such as Prep All. And do the make high temp primer? Or would regular primer work just fine?

Yes they make high temp primer. Any auto parts store should carry it. I used it on my block before topcoat.

Napa carries a primer that doesnt require sanding. It sprays on like its been sanded already.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back