The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

engine rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspyder

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
del taco, Wisconsin
Well Im having a really hard time finding a shop around here to do my engine rebuild. I contacted AMS by chicago and they said for what I want I should just get a stock shortblock from the dealer and they would put it all in for 5grand. I thought that was alittle high. Then I contacted Speedquest and they quoted me around 3500 for a performance rebuild. But Ive heard that they dont know much about dsms more of hondas.

So I'm stuck wondering what the hell do I do. Ive thought of doing it myself but I really dont have the experiance, If i did it myself I would probably just buy a new shortblock from somewhere. I'm sticking with me 7bolt.

Can anyone help me out?

I have Kilpatrick Engine in Waukesha rebuilding a 4G63 for me. They know their stuff.

http://www.kilpatrickengine.com/

There is another engine rebuilder in Waukesha who I contacted that really knows 4G63's as well, but I don't remember their name offhand.

You could have them shortblock the engine for you, and you can do the rest of the assembly to save some money.

I am having them shortblock the engine for me. They are going to bore it 0.020 over, machine all the surfaces, install Mahle pistons and rings, and new bearings all around. I supplied the pistons. I don't know yet how much the final bill will be, but I am going to call them today and see when it will be ready.

What exactly are you looking for in a rebuild? Anys specific parts or do you just want a "back to stock" rebuild?

If you just want it "like new" but stock, find a decent machine shop in your area and have them bore/hone get some new OEM pistons, use your stock rods if they check out okay, and get your head rebuilt by a known DSM vendor.

YOu could bolt it all together do the install yourself. Maybe have someone help you with the timing belt stuff, but other than that it's really not that hard.

well I was thinking about getting a topline kit but then I dont know. I think i might want to put eagle rods with ross pistons and then a all new bearings, b/s removed. I dont want to spend more than 4g on this project. i want to be around 300 hp with 18psi.

My head is almost brand new i just replaced the head with a performance head so.

Go all oem parts.

If you think you're going to be driving this car for a long time heres a short (read I just typed it off the top of my head) parts list for you to look at:

Water pump
idler pulley
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
timing belt tensioner pulley
crank pulley
front case
B/S removal
headgasket
OEM pistons
Gasket set
main bearings
rod bearings
Get rods checked, if not, buy my perfect shape stock 7 bolt rods
machine work for boring, honing, decking, and assembly of the shortblock.

Should end up being a little over $2k. It'll support your 300hp easily, and will last a long time.

Well Now I came across the stroker kit from sbr, I can get a stage 1 stroker kit with a NEW oem crank for about 1600 bucks. http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/product.php?productid=2009&cat=2554&page=1

I dont really know much about stroker kits, (pros and cons) but that might be something Im interested in.

I was looking on mitsubishioemparts.com and they have all the oem parts I would need for a bottom engine rebuild and the prices arent bad at all?
anyone have expirence with them?? I might go that way and take it all to a shop and have them build it and machine the block...

Well Now I came across the stroker kit from sbr, I can get a stage 1 stroker kit with a NEW oem crank for about 1600 bucks. http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/product.php?productid=2009&cat=2554&page=1

I dont really know much about stroker kits, (pros and cons) but that might be something Im interested in.

I was looking on mitsubishioemparts.com and they have all the oem parts I would need for a bottom engine rebuild and the prices arent bad at all?
anyone have expirence with them?? I might go that way and take it all to a shop and have them build it and machine the block...

The stroker motors are pretty cool. The only "downfall" with them is they cant rev as high as a 2.0. 8k is about the safe limit...which for most ppl is plenty high. It will make WAYYYY more torque and will make a 50 trim spool liek a T25..LOL. IF you have any q's about it feel free to shoot me a pm and ill take care of ya!! :thumb:

Joe
SBR

i dont need 800 hp
LOL
hmmm what to do. so pretty much stroker will let me pick up speed faster and make my vtrim turbo spool faster,
hmm im gunna have to think about this one

you can do an hbeam one...good for 600 whp...LOL. A lot cheaper than i beams, and it will make your low end power much greater and spool up will be hella fast!!

Joe

I was just told by the guy who runs HID tuning that its a bad Idea to rebuild my 7bolt with a stroker kit.

Why did he say that?

If your running a split-thrust 7 bolt, whats it matter? I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Chris Boone

Why did he say that?

If your running a split-thrust 7 bolt, whats it matter? I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Chris Boone

Word...Split thrust is what EVO's have...you never hear of an EVO crankwalking do you?:;) I would feel 100% comfortable making real power on a split thrust 7 bolt. :thumb:

Joe
Slowboy Racing

Not to sure what a split thrust is as every thrust bearing I've seen is "split". But as far as being worried about a 7 bolt walking. My opinion is if it hasn't done it by 100K it probably won't. Save money and install hassle and run the 7 bolt. Don't worry about it until it actually happens. And if it does ever "crankwalk" it's not hard to replace the thrust bearing in the car.

Jeremiah,

In 99, they switched the design of the Thrust Bearing, to the same design they had been using since evo4's came out. Instead of the Thrust washers (sides of the bearing) built into the main bearing, they use 3 peices the block half of the bearing. So, a standard Thrust Main is 2 peices, where the Split Thrust Main Bearing is 4.

Does that make sense?

Chris Boone

Im going to call that guy at hid tuning and see what he can offer me.
ill post back and let you guys know.
I would LOVE to go stroker but I want to make sure everything goes well.

edit. well I called him and were gunna go with a 6 bolt swap... he said he could do it for around 3500.
were gunna keep my 2g head and just have it machined to fit.
je pistons
eagle rods
act 2100 clutch kit

I was just told by the guy who runs HID tuning that its a bad Idea to rebuild my 7bolt with a stroker kit.

Well, I am running a 7-bolt 99-block Clevite split thrust bearing 2.3L setup with SBR eagle rods, FFWD ross pistons, and a FFWD butcher crank. I think that I am doing just fine with it.

You also forgot to check out Beyond Redline Performance in Green Bay, WI. Their prices will be much more affordable, and they are a very reputable shop with an in-house AWD dyno. I have known the owner, Luke Stubbs, for several years and have had my motor built there, along with tranny rebuilds and my dyno tuning. It all has been well above par, and the work was done quickly, efficiently, and costly. The product has been fantastic, and the reliability ... well, I have over two years of massive abuse on my race motor with 150+ track passes and over 150 dyno pulls, along with 30,000 miles of abusive street driving.

It is a TOP-NOTCH shop! at least call them for information:

Tell them Tim Zimmer reccomended you.
www.beyondredline.com (920) 498-1223.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back