The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Drive belt / power steering belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudds2k

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2008
Long Island, New_York
I bought my car with the power steering not working with no belt installed . I was told it was the hard lines on the rack. I want to see myself where they leak(I may just change the whole rack but that's a different story)

I just got my copy of the Haynes manual and it says to loosen the tensioner bolt to remove the drive belt.
I completely removed the tensioner and my alternator was still stationary. I got frustrated and put the tensioner back on.

1. Are there more things to loosen to remove the belt other than the tensioner ?

2. Which way does the tensioner face up? There was a flat side and one side that comes to a point.

I attached a picture from the Haynes manual

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 166
Flat side down, house shape up. Did you loosen the pivot bolt at the bottom on the alternator? Also there are 2 bolts that hold the PS pump on its pivot and you get to those through the holes in the PS pump pulley, just in case you didn't know.

Is the main alt bolt the one in the picture next to "lock bolt"? Everything is covered in grime. I sprayed the rack with brake cleaner. Didn't want to fry the alternator cleaning it.

I need to put the house side up again. I love that name for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best description I could think of so you would for sure know you had it correct, LOL.

I sat in the car thinking of the way to word it. It does look like a monopoly house

No offense but the Haynes manuals suck and you wasted your money. They are inadequate for cars like ours. They summarize and skip a lot of important information. I bought one long ago and now I only use it to wrap small parts for shipping. The factory service manual has almost everything you can possibly need to know. If there isn't one available/affordable then maybe someone can recommend an alternative to the two. Sorry for the off topic but just trying to save you from following that misguided book and breaking your ride.

Yeah I knew before I bought it. It was 3 dollars shipped. Between the Haynes manual, YouTube, and this forum I can search things enough to get a better understanding. Lots of threads on here are from 2009-2011 and have dead links.
I searched for e85 builds and found stuff from 2011.

I looked in the Haynes how to remove the steering rack. Doesn't mention removing the downpipe or transfer case

Is this the bolt ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 133
Nice and greasy. Bet it's not rusted :)

Can someone tell me what this crusty thing is ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 118
Too bad you didn't take that vehicle to the car wash, hit that area with the pressure gun to blow all of that grease out of there..but, good luck anyway !

I bought my car with the power steering not working with no belt installed . I was told it was the hard lines on the rack. I want to see myself where they leak(I may just change the whole rack but that's a different story)

I just got my copy of the Haynes manual and it says to loosen the tensioner bolt to remove the drive belt.
I completely removed the tensioner and my alternator was still stationary. I got frustrated and put the tensioner back on.

1. Are there more things to loosen to remove the belt other than the tensioner ?

2. Which way does the tensioner face up? There was a flat side and one side that comes to a point.

I attached a picture from the Haynes manual
Just have to pay close attention how this all goes back together, for if you put that assembly upside down, the adjusting bolt will dig into the alternator belt, and we don't want that to happen.

I checked and I have house side facing up. I guess lining up the bolt holes from the old grease marks works.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back