The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Custom Vinyl Wrap Help- not for car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2003
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I need some help. I also have a hobby of doing triathlons and would like to do something unique this year on my race helmet. I've tossed ideas around in my head of maybe just doing a 3M chrome wrap- easiest. Or a custom printed design. Problem is no one in triathlons or biking really weraps their helmt, so I have no clue who would design and print a design on vinyl for me. So I turn to my fellow DSMers- Help?

Here's what the helmet looks like...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Inspiration for chrome helmet.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your best bet is to order some vinyl wrap in the color of your choice. Order more than you need to complete it. Plan for mess ups. Use a blow dryer or heat gun to get the wrap to shape to the contour of the helmet. Start from the top, more in the front. Use a flexible card as your squeegee, as That would be your best bet to shape the wrap to the shape of the helmet. This stuff gets pretty flexible when heated.

Maybe go with a h2o dip?

The H20 dip is interesting. I'm wondering if there are any people who do vinyl work for a job that could help me out, maybe come up with a sick design.

The H20 dip is interesting. I'm wondering if there are any people who do vinyl work for a job that could help me out, maybe come up with a sick design.

There are, but vinyl usually just comes in colors since the material is stretched and it would distort the image. Honestly, your best bet is H2o dip if you want an image.

Honestly, your best bet is H2o dip if you want an image.

Even the H2O dip will be distorted a little going around something like a helmet. Not near as much as trying to stretch vinyl wrap around the part and it's great for randomized patterns.
All depends on the design. For example, spray on one color (for base coat), hydro-dip a pattern on that, use vinyl to add lettering, and spray clear over the whole thing.

Last edited:
Be careful if you do go with the chrome wrap. On a surface that is so curvy, you may end up with some parts being shiny and some parts turning flat/distorted from the vinyl stretching.

Be careful if you do go with the chrome wrap. On a surface that is so curvy, you may end up with some parts being shiny and some parts turning flat/distorted from the vinyl stretching.

Thanks for that valuable feedback. I think with this helmet it wont be too bad since its pretty round and smooth for the most part.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back