The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Awd transmission ,3rd gear will not engage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodlinebkx

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2011
worcester, Massachusetts
I have a 98 gsx and my car won't engage in 3rd gear while driven, but when parked it will, but you can push the while in 3rd gear gear parked.does anyone know what's up with it?

Pressure plate or synchronizer, if so you need to replace the tranny or get it rebuilt. Does it grind trying to put it in 3rd with the clutch pushed? I remember my 3rd gear sync went out on my 420a and had to be replaced.

clutch is bad sounds like pressure plate is broken missing finger on plate
Bad information. I've never seen a clutch issue which only effected shifting into one gear.

Pressure plate or synchronizer, if so you need to replace the tranny or get it rebuilt. Does it grind trying to put it in 3rd with the clutch pushed? I remember my 3rd gear sync went out on my 420a and had to be replaced.

no grinding at all just doesnt go

Bad information. I've never seen a clutch issue which only effected shifting into one gear.

i feel its my gear but people are saying it could be the stuff that makes it shift inside the tranny.

It's able to go in all the other gears while driven? Just can't get it in 3rd while driving? I'd be hard pressed to call that a clutch problem. Clutch problem would affect all gears.
yea it goes into every gear while driven execpt 3rd

i've been thru this before. it was the bolts that hold the trans cables in place.. have someone go thru the gears with the car off. and watch the bracket..
on mine it. only moved just a small amout. but it was enough for my car to not go in to 5th gear. just my idea. i would check it.

One time my battery bracket rod fell out WTF and became lodged between the shift lever? and the tranny, very hard to get into any gear, definitely worth checking LOL.

Im still betting its the sync.

You have to give a little more info of how its happening.
If it shifts through all the gears fine, with no problem and interfirance when the car is shut off, and when you drive the car it grinds not going into the third, it will most likely be the 3rd and 4th synchro going bad. But if it dosent grind it could be some other issue such as: the shifter cable adjustment improper, something interfiring with the shifter, sometimes even the position of the engine and the tranny can effect that (broken mounts).

I dont think it has anything to do with the pressure plate, slave cylinder,clutch, flywheel, input shaft, output shaft etc....because it shifts fine through the rest of the gears.

What i would do if ther is no grinding is check the shifter adjustments, motor mounts, and look around the shifter to see if anything is on the way.

That is my opinion ofcourse, Good luck

Check your shifter bushings, also. Shifter axis bushings in the assembly, cable bushings, cables, everything. I've seen the ends break on the cables (at the transmission) and it cause the cables to bind.

i've been thru this before. it was the bolts that hold the trans cables in place.. have someone go thru the gears with the car off. and watch the bracket..
on mine it. only moved just a small amout. but it was enough for my car to not go in to 5th gear. just my idea. i would check it.

You have to give a little more info of how its happening.
If it shifts through all the gears fine, with no problem and interfirance when the car is shut off, and when you drive the car it grinds not going into the third, it will most likely be the 3rd and 4th synchro going bad. But if it dosent grind it could be some other issue such as: the shifter cable adjustment improper, something interfiring with the shifter, sometimes even the position of the engine and the tranny can effect that (broken mounts).

I dont think it has anything to do with the pressure plate, slave cylinder,clutch, flywheel, input shaft, output shaft etc....because it shifts fine through the rest of the gears.

What i would do if ther is no grinding is check the shifter adjustments, motor mounts, and look around the shifter to see if anything is on the way.

That is my opinion ofcourse, Good luck

Check your shifter bushings, also. Shifter axis bushings in the assembly, cable bushings, cables, everything. I've seen the ends break on the cables (at the transmission) and it cause the cables to bind.

Sounds more like your third gear synchro is out. Usually its the second and third that I've seen go quick.

It Goes into gear if I slam it, so what do you think
it is.
pulls fine no grinding once in third,no slipping.

Last edited:
I am bumping this up to see if you solved this because I am having the same problem with my trans....

I would be willing to bet its the 3rd gear sychoniser, if it goes in when parked and not when driving. You could try an rev match your shift into third maybe a crappy shift fork but I dont think sooo ..I lean to bad sychronisers

If youre replacing a shift fork why wouldnt you replace the synchro? Youve already got the trans apart at that point.

You going to completely disassemble a Trans to fix a shift fork and not go ahead and put a synchro ring while you're in there?

He is right ...if your in there I would just replace the synchronisers and shift forks , you can usually find a rebuild kits pretty cheap that will come with everything you need to refresh the trans .... and I am not sure if its the shift fork or synchronisers ..... wont know unless I pulled the trans apart

Yes you have to press off gears. Its not a big deal. You would know for sure if that ring is bad once you open it up anyway.you have to take the shafts completely out to replace a fork (and it probably isnt your problem). I wouldnt replace the ring if its good but like I said youll know for sure once you have it apart anyway. I would plan to replace whatever you find thats bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back