The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

91 to 96 Transfer Case Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky_DSM

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2010
El Paso, Texas
Okay so i bought a 92 5 speed Transfer Case as a back up.
23 Spline.

My car is an auto and have been reading some threads on compatibility and read some mixed answers.

Some people said the gear ratios were the same along with Vfaq.
Some said only the auto transfercase will work on a 5 speed but, not the other way around.

Is it possible to safely install this on my car one day if needed?

Thanks guys.

The tcase will not mount up due to bolt location variations to the case (front and middle housing are different). The ring and pinion and input sleeve and bearings are identical on mid1991 through 1996 5-speed and auto DSM transfer cases. They are all 23-spline inputs with the same output splines. Input and output seals are the same. 1990 assemblies have a different end shaft nut, different housings (all 3 parts on a 1990 tcase are aluminum and have variations to accessory mounting holes, and internal fitment variations for oiling and larger end shaft nut), and they have a 22-spline input sleeve.

If you want to use this tcase on an auto, you will need to swap front housing and middle housing to the auto, or pull the guts out and swap into the auto tcase housing..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back