The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transfer case question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalK61000

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 25, 2011
Riverside, California
Where does the transfer case get its input from?

Obviously its from the trans but does the axle to the front wheel pass thru the tsansfer case or is there another output from the tranny for it?

Here's my thought don't know if it would work but bear with me.

I have a GS with a 420A I'm thinking of welding the diff in the trans attaching the transfer case and flip the ring gear in it to reverse rotation and convert it to RWD.

Any thoughts?

Obviously id have to fab a way for the transfer case to mount and custom shaft to attatch the transmission to the transfer case but I'm thinking that won't be to hard

Not possible, the t-case is installed on a completely different shaft.

Your GS Spyder has a 4g64. So you can do an AWD swap, once you find a donor car.

The transfer case has a separate output in an AWD transmission

I'm thinking that won't be to hard

The level of fabrication you are proposing is not cheap or even feasible. There is no room, it's on a different side of the car not to mention not in the right location. Two points for thinking outside the box but the statement above tells me you don't have any idea what it takes to custom fabricate such things.
If you want something other than what you have it's best to change cars. Modification and complete custom fabrication are two very very very different things.

You missed the OPs original post
I have a GS with a 420A

Well I asked about an evo swap and everyone told me basicly how dumb I was for wanting to try it.

As far as fabrication its what I do for a living so I know what is involved totaly and completly, but that is why I was wanting to know if the axle passed thru the T-case or not, if it did I don't think it would have been to hard to make it work.

Anyone have any good pictures of the AWD trans and T-case?

Had another thought and I wouldent need to change the ring gear in the transfer case but the input side would have to be switched, I've seen a couple bad pics of them and there is a cover that bolts on the case I'm wondering if that is a cover for the input?

And yes this is on a GS 420A not my spyder

As far as fabrication its what I do for a living so I know what is involved totaly and completly

Given that statement keep in mind you know you can't just flip a ring gear around to reverse rotation. The transfer case also does not have a ring gear. It's simply a set of two bevel gears. Nothing passes through it. As streets rodders will attest you can fabricate anything. On a DSM the question only remains why would you want to when the car already comes in different configurations. It's easier and cheaper to get another car. If you wanted a RWD project thare are way better ways to do it. What you're proposing isn't really feasible. The transfer case is already a known weak link on higher horsepower AWD cars. RWD only would only multiply the problem. If this doesn't convince you to look elsewhere then you're more determined than most people.

Given that statement keep in mind you know you can't just flip a ring gear around to reverse rotation. The transfer case also does not have a ring gear. It's simply a set of two bevel gears. Nothing passes through it. As streets rodders will attest you can fabricate anything. On a DSM the question only remains why would you want to when the car already comes in different configurations. It's easier and cheaper to get another car. If you wanted a RWD project thare are way better ways to do it. What you're proposing isn't really feasible. The transfer case is already a known weak link on higher horsepower AWD cars. RWD only would only multiply the problem. If this doesn't convince you to look elsewhere then you're more determined than most people.

Understood, and I wouldent need to reverse the rotation of the transfer case like I origanal thought

And its just an idea I'm throwing out there to see if it were somewhat feesable, and yes the extra stress was another concern of mine.

And I'm not looking to "get another car" and honestly I'm sick of hearing it what I have is what I have to work with and just trying to think outside the box and use the ginormas wealth of dsm knowledge you gus have here.

If its absaloutle impossable then it is what it is but yah never know unless you ask questions

So onto something other than this idea then, what would you recomend to convert to rwd? Or was that onother buy a diferent car statment?

IF you want to convert the car to rwd you are going to need to rotate the engine so it sits front to back, find an adapter to use a rwd transmission and go that route. Trying to adapt a transfer case to a 420a transmission is pretty unrealistic. It will take a ton of fab work to make the car rwd with any engine transmission combination. You will have to build a custom subframe, relocate the steering rack, enlarge the transmission tunnel area and more. Realistically if you want a rwd car, buy a 240sx, 300zx mkIII supra, fc rx7, bmw 3 series, or something along those lines that is built for rwd.

I'm in agreement. The best solution would likely be to rotate the motor 90 degrees. That's about the only feasible solution if there is one at all. Nothing is impossible but for the sake of being different it's a very expensive and timely solution. As said before 2 points for thinking outside the box. I suppose your questions that have been answered. The only one that hasn't been asked is what are your goals? I refer back to project management. What are we doing and what are the constraints? If this solution applies the constrains list is going to be very large.

IF you want to convert the car to rwd you are going to need to rotate the engine so it sits front to back, find an adapter to use a rwd transmission and go that route. Trying to adapt a transfer case to a 420a transmission is pretty unrealistic. It will take a ton of fab work to make the car rwd with any engine transmission combination. You will have to build a custom subframe, relocate the steering rack, enlarge the transmission tunnel area and more. Realistically if you want a rwd car, buy a 240sx, 300zx mkIII supra, fc rx7, bmw 3 series, or something along those lines that is built for rwd.

Buying another car isint an option, I love the eclipse

I'm in agreement. The best solution would likely be to rotate the motor 90 degrees. That's about the only feasible solution if there is one at all. Nothing is impossible but for the sake of being different it's a very expensive and timely solution. As said before 2 points for thinking outside the box. I suppose your questions that have been answered. The only one that hasn't been asked is what are your goals? I refer back to project management. What are we doing and what are the constraints? If this solution applies the constrains list is going to be very large.

Was also thinking about rotating the engine 90*and using a miata or a 240 trans but I wanted to stay loyal to the brand.

The goal is to just have something different, I work for a custom shop and build custom cars so just trying to think of something cool that not everyone has done, and I got the car for 500 bux with a spun rod bearing but the body is supper clean so again just thinking of something cool 2 do

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back