The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

052A8634sm.jpg

The other wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trust me, if anyone can relate to that its me. I was there, and best thing I did was just chilled out a bit. I took a step back, and enjoyed doing other things for a little while. Forcing something is a great way to BREAK something. Take that as literal or figurative as you like, but I live by it.

It'll be worth it in the end, but yeah. Nothing wrong with taking a breather and just getting the motivation back.
The problem is, I don't have much going on otherwise. I put things in motion in certain ways specifically to free myself up for the build. That includes paying 10k to have someone else build a fence and deck for us so that I didn't spend my entire summer doing it myself

and now that's also stalled because they've overbooked themselves and everyone is getting a diluted version of progress. I've been waiting over a week just to get an updated building plan to submit back to the permits office. Turns out you can have 10,000lb capacity steel ground screws as a foundational support and it's just fine, but as long as it's concrete, it needs an engineer stamp. FK sakes.

Anyway. I cleared out my summer for this and now that it's not happening, I'm totally $&@!ING bored off my ass.

Got some measurements.

Mains (after second round of line honing since shop #1 messed up the first time): 0.0021 - 0.0023
Rods, brand new Eagles: 0.0026 - 0.0027 with STD ACL bearings. Kings measured out on the last set of rods (that I've since replaced because they were 0.003+) at 0.0002 less.
So, with King XP rods, I could expect 0.0024 - 0.0025. They may be harder than ACLs, though, so I'm not sure which I will ultimately run.

Shop #2 will touch the pin ends, if needed, and see about that crank scratch early next week. There goes June. :cry:

Totally forgot how long it takes to tape off a block

The red engine enamel (with pectin or ceramic or something) smells like licorice.

View attachment 736774

Reminds me of the red caliper paint I had. It had something in it that made it smell like male cat spray/urine. Not even joking. Even my wife came out and was like "did a cat spray out here?" after I sprayed the VC.

Cat urine aside though, that stuff bonded and dried like cement. Honestly think I could strike the VC with a hammer and the paint wouldn't chip.

Reminds me of the red caliper paint I had. It had something in it that made it smell like male cat spray/urine. Not even joking. Even my wife came out and was like "did a cat spray out here?" after I sprayed the VC.

Cat urine aside though, that stuff bonded and dried like cement. Honestly think I could strike the VC with a hammer and the paint wouldn't chip.

Never considered caliper paint for the VC before. HMMMmm

Never considered caliper paint for the VC before. HMMMmm

I didn’t either until I had it in hand and then I was like, why don’t more of us use this? It’s designed for high heat and lots of abrasive chemical and particulate abuse.

So far so good. I’ve been in the engine bay a ton, resting tools and tool cases on top of the VC and is yet to get a single scuff or scratch.

Shop told me they opened the pin ends of my Eagle rods to give 0.0006" clearance to the wrist pins of my Manleys (I foolishly didn't give them a spec but he did mention 0.001 or a tad more when I was there being an option for higher HP motors).. I think I'll take them back tomorrow morning and have them go to 0.001".

Washed the block a second time as I wasn't happy with oily residue.

Gave crank a third cleaning
PXL_20240707_211747865.jpg

I think I will do one more before install. I expected to use 6-7 cans of brake clean and I'm only up to 5 LOL

Rotated balance shaft bearings are in
PXL_20240707_223017936.jpg

Oil squirters torqued down to 23.5 with a dab of blue loctite. I checked each before install but not well enough.. one of them was a bit crooked so I wiggled the nozzle and I could pull it right out. Luckily I have four spares in my other block and a couple sets of spare crush washers. I figured I'd need them.

PXL_20240707_232314720.jpgPXL_20240707_234710881.jpg

@curt-s , I think I was reading
001"-.0015 "somewhere" for the wrist pin clearance.
It might have been in my V8 stuff but that sounds right.
SLOWLY rotate the crank/rod assembly with those "new to that motor' squirter. Most clear just fine but just double check slowly that everything clears. One of my squirter was pain ass broke off from interference at some rpm but not at assembly. (Probably some ungodly number but make sure they clear just fine) :)

Nice build. Everytime i see someone starting a build with the v3 68hta i never hear any feedback. Hope to see some results for your build. Unfortunate about the oil squirter but there only brazed on and get brittle over time.
Yeah I was hoping for some numbers too..
Whether I'll ever see a dyno, I don't know. AWD dynos around here are hard to come by.
At least I'll have logs and personal impressions

@curt-s , I think I was reading
001"-.0015 "somewhere" for the wrist pin clearance.
It might have been in my V8 stuff but that sounds right.
SLOWLY rotate the crank/rod assembly with those "new to that motor' squirter. Most clear just fine but just double check slowly that everything clears. One of my squirter was pain ass broke off from interference at some rpm but not at assembly. (Probably some ungodly number but make sure they clear just fine) :)
Based off what I've read here, .0009 or .001 is a good number to shoot for. Nowhere was I able to find anyone suggesting 0.0006 was acceptable. I'll go with status quo on this becausr of metal expansion due to heat. Theres a million PTW threads but not much on wrist pin talk.

I'll keep an eye on those squirters, yeah, also because of the Manley pistons that are going in.

Admittedly I’m curious about the turbo as well and how it compares to the Green. I must say I really enjoy the street manners of my green. Really can’t wait to stretch its legs but break in periods suck.

I missed it before but what’s the CR you’re after? Also: any E85 in your area?

Yeah I was hoping for some numbers too..
Whether I'll ever see a dyno, I don't know. AWD dynos around here are hard to come by.
At least I'll have logs and personal impressions

Based off what I've read here, .0009 or .001 is a good number to shoot for. Nowhere was I able to find anyone suggesting 0.0006 was acceptable. I'll go with status quo on this becausr of metal expansion due to heat. Theres a million PTW threads but not much on wrist pin talk.

I'll keep an eye on those squirters, yeah, also because of the Manley pistons that are going in.
I would definitely be curious on logs as long as your car weight and all else is correct. I'm up in the air what's next after my galant. Either a evo 3 or 5 are the only other mitsubishi's i would consider. So i would love another 16g car to add to the collection. I'll be going to my machine shop this week to see what's the status of my motor since the shootout is fast approaching. Are you bringing this car to the shootout?

I would definitely be curious on logs as long as your car weight and all else is correct. I'm up in the air what's next after my galant. Either a evo 3 or 5 are the only other mitsubishi's i would consider. So i would love another 16g car to add to the collection. I'll be going to my machine shop this week to see what's the status of my motor since the shootout is fast approaching. Are you bringing this car to the shootout?
I'd love to be able to attend but I don't see my cylinder head being ready this month. That and Im not brave enough to make the trip down with a newly completed car, and I don't have a trailer capability. I'm gonna have to survive on YouTube videos.

What an annoying day. So a couple days ago I dropped the crankshaft in and whilst I was getting ready to torque the mains I noticed the crankshaft lobes had crap on them. So everything came apart.

Today, in more stupid heat, I clean everything up and restart the process.

First I started with putting #3 down, against the crank, and prying on the crank as I torqued it in steps. After 40ft/lbs, I couldn't turn the crank. Loosened everything up, and it rotated. At that point, I start to get concerned.
Pull everything apart, check the bearings for crap that might have somehow got caught in it. Check for crushed edges. Everything looks normal.. Clean the crank main journals and bearings, and put it back in. I check endplay with no #3 cap -- 0.007.

Third time the crank goes in, do the smacks after I seat #3 without the girdle. First front->back 3 times with a deadblow, then back->front 3 times or so with a deadblow and an hammer as an extension to go through the engine stand's hole. Rotates freely. Check endplay -- 0.003, and I can get a .002 feeler between the crank and bottom thrust bearing shell whilst prying on the crank. FFS.

Pull off the caps again, out comes the crank. Mic'd the thrust bearing for width: 1.141" for both of them. So it's not like they're uneven sizes. Everything goes back in. Seat #3 with the girdle, back off the nuts, smack the crank both sides, pry whilst torqueing #3 down. Check endplay -- 0.003.

I'm so tired. Somewhere in there it was also binding on a specific part of the rotation but I couldn't reproduce it after smacking the crank. I don't remember anymore when exactly that happened.

So I can only surmise that the crank smacking thing is not working to align the thrust bearing halves, because I magically went from 0.007 with no #3 cap to 0.003 with one and the bearings are the exact same width. The only thing I can think of is the #3 cap is not aligning to the block and the bearing shells are offset. This would be highly unusual, I would think, given the engine wasn't chewing through thrust bearings before.

Or I'm not hitting the crank hard enough to budge the cap. Or I'm supposed to smack it while #3 is still floating above the block but riding on the studs? I'm so tired and confused here.. this shouldn't be this hard for me.

It's been a long time since I had to do this before.. am I not supposed to seat #3 and then whack the crankshaft gently with a deadblow a few times on the front side, then follow it with like smacks on the rear (flywheel)?

I'm going to take the girdle off tomorrow, pull #3, and check my endplay yet again. I've pulled #3 a few times whilst the other caps were still down -- I don't think that makes any difference, unless it does and I've now destroyed the crank LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

• For sale 1g 1G FWD Eagle Talon
    New reman turbo and manifold to muffler exhaust
    • Skidmarks
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 1G JEFF BUSH BILLET CONVERTER KIT
    Complete 1G JB Billet converter kit, Was recently re-freshen / inspected at pro torque and...
    • Evil_Panda
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g Fuel sending unit
    2G AWD fuel sending unitsBoth in good conditionThe sending unit with stealth 340 fuel pump...
    • Dsm_canadian_mike
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 1g 1991 talon tsi awd partout
    Hi guys the time has come to part out my long time project car. Lack of time and a rotting frame...
    • 91tsi_awd
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 6 bolt kiggly flexplate
    Kiggly racing 6 bolt flex plate in good condition. Comes with bolts and shim plate. $80 shipped
    • MichaelSuch
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back