The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Purchased a 1G Eclipse to Learn About Working on Cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcrewfan28

Probationary Member
May 31, 2024
MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin
Hello there everyone! I am new to the site, but not new to owning a DSM. I fell in love with them when I was in high school and my buddy from work bought a Plymouth Laser. After a few months of cruising around with him in that, I bought my own 1991 Plymouth Laser, a 1.8 non-turbo and automatic transmission.

Later that summer, I learned to drive stick shift and acquired a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi with the turbo and AWD. Someone else built it up, and I *loved* that car. Unfortunately, got caught in a bad situation while I was in the Army and traveling between home and my duty station. I unknowingly had sprung a coolant leak and blew a head gasket on the freeway, 220 miles from home and 280 miles from where I needed to be the next morning before my unit was heading out into the field for a month. At the time, I didn't know anything about working on cars, and I ended up having to sell it to a mechanic who happened to have a shop setup right off the highway where the head gasket blew out, essentially for scrap price. I was devastated. I briefly owned a 1997 Talon ESi after that, but ever since by TSi blew out, I've been keeping my eye out for another turbocharged 1G (a 90-91, with the iconic pop-up headlights).

Recently, I found and purchased a running and driving, manual transmission 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST with ~189K miles for $2,600. My goal for this vehicle is to teach myself how to work on cars! From the simpler stuff like changing fluids and performing regular maintenance to replacing parts and perhaps eventually doing some upgrades, I am really looking forward to gaining some new knowledge and skills. I have a maintenance background for my career, so I've already got a plethora of tools at my disposal and generally know a little bit about turning a wrench.

Looking forward to being a part of the community and hopefully getting some tips from y'all!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Not a bad project. Start with still put together vehicle.learn sum ins and outs b4 tearing into it, I love it.

You should fill out a vehicle profile > http://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

I learned most of what I know about cars while working on my old 1g, not a bad way to learn -- you'll definitely be putting in the wrench time. It's a simple and effective car to learn on, not hopped up on electronics and canbus crap.

Welcome! I was in the same boat as you about a month and a half ago. A good Multimeter with an assortment of attachments is a good tool to have on hand. It was for me at least. Keep in mind, The 1990 has a lot of parts that are can only swap out with other 1990's. You have a 1GA. 91-94 is the 1GB. There are a bunch of writeups on how to convert sensors to 1GB. I have yet to find an issue that you can't research and find on this forum.

That car, when running correctly, should SCOOT!!! 20g and GSC2 Cams, you will have some fun!
Welcome!
Marty

“Purchased a 1G Eclipse so I can Experience Losing All my Money, Have my Significant Other Leave Me, and Learn the Wrong Ways to Work on Cars the Right Way”​

Shit, I was lucky then. I purchased my 1G whilst single, sold it whilst married, and my SO pushed me to get the 2G.
The first and third things are still true, however.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back