The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Grinding bad when cranking :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboston11

Probationary Member
Jun 21, 2012
phoenix, Arizona
I have a 95 GST fwd auto tranny I am sure I have a 7 bolt in the car the oil pan has the inverted end under the crank pulley. I lost the tranny last week and replaced it with a 96 gst fwd tranny I used the TC outta the tranny that was already in the car after install I went to start the car and a nasty grinding noise is coming from the starter / TC area I have tried 3 NAPA starters 1 O'Reilys Starter and nothing changes I have checked all starters to be auto trans starters and all make same noise im frustrated as all he*& can anyone help with ideas ? And the motor spins freely with starter in when cranked by hand with 1/2 in breaker bar on crank..

no the plate is still there

If for some reason im wrong and I have a 6 bolt could there be a problem there. The kid I bought this said it was a 6 bolt but the oil pan says diff.

Are you sure you fully and correctly meshed the splines of the TC to the splines of the transmission? When installing a TC, always install it to the transmission side first, slide it on, while spinning it back in forth, it will click/pop inward on the shaft 3 times total, THEN you can bolt it up to the flexplate.

Just finished reading your post, Do I understand correctly, that the starter does not turn the engine over, but it spins freely by hand with breaker bar? If that is the case, then your flexplate has most likely detached from your crankshaft, I had that happen once, a connecting rod snapped, and every single flywheel bolt sheered off, and the starter worked fine(albeit it I had an unpleasant grinding noise as well), but engine didn't budge, at first I thought it seized but it spun fine with a breaker bar.

No the starter does turn the motor over just grinds while cranking over I did install the TC into the tranny and it did click into place like it should. It is attached to the crankshaft also. I have read alot about this problem on here from others having this issue and it seams to be an alignment issue my question is if I messed up and lost a dowel will it or can it cause this big of an issue for real. :banghead: LOL

Hmm, an alignment issue could cause this yes, you are referring to a transmission bellhousing->engine block dowel pin yes? As long as its all bolted up, that should not effect anything, dowel pins are more for helping get things into position to bolt them down, than they are for keeping things in line, once everything is bolted up it should be fine. It is more likely that your starter was shimmed and you lost them or did not put them back on, or that because of the parts you replaced, you now need to shim the starter, I will see if I can find any helpful specs/procedures on starter alignment tomorrow when I am at work and have access to alldata.

That would be awesome ya I took out the oem starter and replaced it with napa starters but there were no shims when I did that and they dont offer shims at the parts stores for eclipse I did look into and I tried washers already to shim it out with no luck but it looks as if the starter teeth are not going out far enough to meet the TC ring gear. I do thank you for the help im ready to try anything right now if the wife would drive a 5sp I would get this auto outta there LOL.

Are both transmissions the same part number? Ive had ALOT of issues finding a usdm auto fwd transmission lately. If so you might as well either rebuild the original or find another transmission.

Both trans # F4A33K1UPQ on the tag are the same but there is a six digit number under that one and they are diff. on each trans both trans are out of GST cars

Well, here is the issue as far as I know:
That number pops up as a jdm trans every time I have searched for it and I have never recieved any clarification as to if that is actually true or not, but, if you WERE using the same starter it shouldve engaged with the ring gear on the tc just fine. Have you physically turned it over by hand to see if the engine turns freely? Maybe measured the depth from starter mounting point on bellhousing to ring gear and to see if that differs from the distance once the bendix is out?
I have had alot of issues from starters from local parts stores as well but only after they have been in the car for a few months. It COULD be as easy as the trans to engine alignment as well.

1. Disconnect wire from M-terminal of magnetic switch.(on solenoid)
2. Connect a 12 V battery(with switch) between S-terminal and M-terminal.
3. Set switch to "ON", and pinion will move out. CAUTION: This test must be performed quickly (in less than 10 seconds) to prevent coil from burning.
4. Check pinion to stopper clearance (pinion gap) with a feeler gauge. Pinion gap: .5-2.0 mm (.020-.079")
5. If pinion gap is out of specificitation, adjust by adding or removing gaskets between magnetic switch and front bracket.

Straight from alldata, hope it helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back