The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Longshot...hatch glass lower edge trim clips available?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ, I forgot you had PMd me asking for some photos on the car. Do you still need that? Happy to help.

Curious if any other progress has been made? I would be interested to purchase a set of early attempts to try out and provide feedback.

Curious if any other progress has been made? I would be interested to purchase a set of early attempts to try out and provide feedback.
I had samples made and test fitted. I have now re tweeked some areas and need to make 1 new clip. They will be re checked on the tweeked ones and if all approved i will be looking at the next steps

some pics for you and all to see. i did a reel on my FB page for this but will be good to log it here also for others to see
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hello DSM crew... the 92 Eclipse GS 5 speed my dad bought in 1998 or so is back in my life after a 6 year stint with another guy. I'm working on restoring a bunch of stuff for my mom including a rear hatch leak.

Ive narrowed it down to not the wiper motor grommet, spoiler bolts or glass itself.

At the base of the rear glass where it meets the hatch deck are maybe 7 plastic clips that are pseudo-screwed into the hatch deck and (30 yrs ago) apparently sealed to the deck with some felt or rubber that is returned to dust and the water is dripping off the part of the clip that protrudes into the inside of the decklid. The trim strip that covers the end of the glass clips onto these. Half the clip is under the glass so you can't just pop them out and reseal them.

Does anyone know what this part is called or how to find a part number for them? I'm thinking about trying to buy replacements and glue them down forever but I will have to get a pro glass installer to come out and remove the glass and install it again. So far I cant find ANYTHING about these clips. I have my 92 BMW in the garage too so I'm familiar with struggling to find parts for cool old cars but hoping to come out on top here with a little help! Thanks!

Luke
DSM3DCREATIONS.COM

So as you see above i did all these prints and had them test fitted. Minor revisions done and im about to do the last clip.

These were ALL out of nylon! And even then they were quite thin and some not strong enough! I would NOT like to trust these in a printed format ( ok some would be OK to pass safely due to thickness )

The bulky ones would be fine and screws go in all ok.

But ultimately injection molded is the best path forward and its what I will be looking into when the time come! Will be the best quality, service life PLUS upgraded material vs normal ABS plastic. Of course injection molding means tooling costs and costly ones but I am willing to go down this path and do these the PROPER way for strength and lasting product.

No point in paying for printed ones that may snap first use and need to rebuy over and over again! I would not want that myself so personally would not offer that to anyone either. This has to be done 100% right.

Thanks for the update! I agree in the long run injection molded parts will be the best choice. And i'd definitely buy them from you when they're ready. In the meantime I am trying to restore my moms old '92 which currently can't be in the rain because the old clips leak so much water into the trunk. Even if there's a chance they could break I'd still pay for 3d printed prototypes just for the chance I can restore this thing to full duty in the short term :)

Thanks for the update! I agree in the long run injection molded parts will be the best choice. And i'd definitely buy them from you when they're ready. In the meantime I am trying to restore my moms old '92 which currently can't be in the rain because the old clips leak so much water into the trunk. Even if there's a chance they could break I'd still pay for 3d printed prototypes just for the chance I can restore this thing to full duty in the short term :)
When i run some for the last revised versions i can run a batch off but i cannot and wont stand by the length they last. Pm me to discuss this, im not mega happy to do this but as a last resort to get by for now i can do something to get by

There's an aspect nobody's mentioned yet. On all of my cars, the original clips came with a rectangular foam gasket that fits around the bottom. I've laser-cut some neoprene replacements for use on my own restoration. I'd be happy to zap some more for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Yeah the problem in the end is those gaskets but you cant remove the clips without breaking them or cutting the tabs off that fit under the hatch glass. I figured if I could find a replacement clip I would just RTV them in place and it would last forever in all likelihood.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back