The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bigger stronger w5m33 gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No the point that was originally made was we received NO response after spending money, which there was supposed to be at least one.
Sam already responded to me letting him know some members have this same curiosity with this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Got a follow up tonight with some updates and a note that I wasn't subscribed to Neat's mailing list, where they will send updates from. I clicked the subscribe button, added my email, so should get updates going forward.
Where does one sign up for their mailing list? I didn't find it on their website.

It seems odd that they keep putting such a short window in for these. What was the deposit window open for like 3 days? strange. I hope it works out well, and I hope you all can find a shop to assemble them for you.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but as a new member, I for one am glad people like this are around. When I commented on FB about how disappointed I was with their extremely short window, I was given a bit of crap by the more senior "suck up to new vendors no matter what" members of DSM groups. It frustrated me, because as a newbie to this platform, I have no clue who to trust or not. Old threads from 2002 mention DSM Graveyard as "the spot" to get your parts, but a few years later there's massive threads about how the guy ripped off a bunch of people and disappeared.

This platform is nearly 40 years old. Let that sink in. Over 35 years, a lot changes, and people can become jaded and have difficulty trusting or believing in things. When a company you've never bought parts from, from across the globe, is like "we're gonna do this thing you have all wanted, but you need to pay us $3000 right now or you don't get one.... and do it in a week" it can come off as a bit pressuring and even worse, it comes off as disorganized. They're not going to have these ready for an entire year but they only give their customers a week or 3 days to pay a deposit or put in an order? Why bash Kurt for calling that out? They're this transmission company that's supposedly highly reputable, they can't front $15k to $20k to get a single set made as a proof of concept? They need an entire group of 30 orders just to get to the proof of concept? What if they're wildly wrong and the initial test goes very poorly and it looks like they'll need another 2 or 3 revisions plus testing? I don't know piss from poop about transmissions, but I can tell you that as an engineer, I've never been in a situation where I only had enough resources for a single prototype and everything went incredibly well.

And if there is an answer to that, and they respond to negative comments from people like Kurt with receipts, information and reports that eases unrest or doubt, doesn't that mean Kurt did us all a favor by pressing the issue? I've always felt that criticism and skepticism is fuel for the engine of improvement. I'd much rather be surrounded by people like Kurt, than a bunch of "yes men" who will follow everything I do, even if I'm walking toward my doom.

I missed the deposit window, so I'm salty, yes. I still hope I get a chance to buy the gears set, but I honestly think they shouldn't have thrown out such a garbage short window and then had the nerve to treat the community like dirt for choosing their childrens' Christmas presents over a gear set preorder they had no idea was going to drop, and didn't just have $3000 or $5000 to drop on it with zero warning whatsoever. I mean, how ridiculous is that? That's like the Avocado ripening of group buy drops.

Neat released an update regarding their center differential design. Hopefully it's ok to share with the crowd here since many are not on crapbook.

I'd much rather be surrounded by people like Kurt, than a bunch of "yes men" who will follow everything I do, even if I'm walking toward my doom.

Wow.

I've seen Kurt be "abrasive and direct", but haven't seen him really be a "dick" about things. Yes, he and Bobby seem to rub each other the wrong way, and I've seen merits on both sides....AND, I like both. I've spoken to both of them at length over the years, and don't find issue with either. I've got a bit of experience in the realms both work in, and I can see the back-and-forth at times. One calling out the other, even if it's somewhat adversarial, often leads up to better parts at the consumer level.

I mean, seriously....you all are taking sides on this, while others sit there and defend another guy who has been like the plague on the backside of the industry just because he's "old school".

Let Kurt and Bobby argue. They're often right to do so as they hash out the the intricate things that actually matter as opposed to turning on everyone else in the industry, soley for their own gain/ego as some in the past have done.

In communities like this, it becomes an issue of whether or not the lack of decorum and the abrasiveness is pushing people away or deterring them from participating and contributing in a meaningful way.

Some people have this idea that the tough love atmosphere is useful - it pushes people to read more before posting and brings about better contributions and less misinformation, and maybe it does here and there. But it also becomes corrosive. Most communities that I've watched embrace that type of Lord of the Flies mentality have mostly all died off. That's usually what happens when you allow the abrasiveness to take over, which reduces participation, and eventually means you have fewer people to carry on the discussions into the future. Then all you're left with is the abrasive people, who eventually find other things in life to focus on and leave too. Game over.

And in this situation, we have a member who doesn't like how the forum is run, based on his signature, ripping into people with no regard for the posted rules of the site, which call for respectful discourse. Everyone is expected to abide by the posted rules. Everyone. And if someone isn't, just report the post so we can address it or PM me.

you are not to insult, harass, belittle, threaten, accuse, or spread slander about another member, non-member, shop, website, organization, etc - either directly or indirectly - nor are you to reply to someone who has done so.

Those who cannot respect that simple rule are asked to stop participating here and go spend there time where personal attacks and belittling are welcomed and encouraged. The members who have been here for more than a decade should know this is how this site has always been run for the past 22+ years. Sometimes members simply don't get along, and in those situations, we encourage those members to use the Ignore feature, to avoid seeing posts by the members who irritate them (just hover over the member's avatar or click on it and you'll see the option).

Any questions about that, PM me. I went through and removed some posts that could detract from the thread.

Back on topic...

This looks promising I really look forward to hearing the outcomes on this set up. A great option for us looking forward.

I'm hoping they open orders on a more traditional "buy when you can" window, if the initial deliveries are successful. I'm still curious about the power tolerance. If they can comfortably handle up to 600 horsepower without breaking, this could be a huge game changer. I think beyond 600/700 is when you really should just get a dog box, but up to around that range while still having the daily driver feel is pretty solid. Hopefully they start selling individual components to do repairs/replacements for anyone who buys one.

With the after $ale price being about the same as a PPG set up, the only reason one would choose a gearset set like this over a straight cut dog box would be for around town stop light to stop light convenience. The dog box requires a learning curve of rev-matched downshifts, and a pricey, noisy, on/off twin disk set up for street driving. I don’t own a dog box, but I’ve read reviews including Kurt himself, @bastarddsm saying a dogbox sucks on the street. We’re in a funny time with these cars where a “600h-700hp goal” is the norm for a street build. 14-15 years ago when Mitsubishi parts were plentiful, the common goal was 400-500hp. I remember reading a quote from SHEP himself years ago on either this forum or dsmtalk about him running countless 10sec passes on one of his stg 3 set ups, but again more guys were running 50 trim/20g set ups, or in other words sub 450tq set ups that went fast and lived. Now with new turbo tech and YouTube everybody wants 600-1000hp. So far I’m 1100 miles in on a presumable late 91-early 92 gearset on my Jacks HD trans, with about 480tq/uncorrected/580corrected at 6000ft. So far so good, however I’ve never launched the car and don’t intend to anytime soon LOL, I don’t give a shit if my car runs 10’s or 12’s on a track. It sits in my garage unbroken and starts and drives when I want, blows my hair back when I want. I would pick the NEAT gearset for a more enjoyable drive to cars and coffee, and the ability to flex on a dyno and at the track, but that’s just ME.

Last edited:
The horrid thing is a transmission that satisfies what is now "the norm" for DSM builds (500hp) costs as much, if not more than, the entire remainder of the build to get to that level. 50% transmission, 50% everything else. That's a sad LOL

The horrid thing is a transmission that satisfies what is now "the norm" for DSM builds (500hp) costs as much, if not more than, the entire remainder of the build to get to that level. 50% transmission, 50% everything else. That's a sad LOL
In the early 2000’s I spent as much as the car on a transmission from shep and it was worth it.

Yeah that's sounds like me go get around and enjoy it. My dsm is a street car building no track or banging on it. Everyone build their car to suit a purpose. Never trying to do what Everyone is i. My feelings

Anyone have any experience or heard anything about this? Might be pretty awesome if it actually works.

I've heard from a few racers that they're pretty finnicky, and they look really floppy and awkward in all the videos I've seen of them in use. They are absolutely not for usage on a synchro box though, they shift too fast for the synchro to do its thing, which will wear out engagement teeth.

I've heard from a few racers that they're pretty finnicky, and they look really floppy and awkward in all the videos I've seen of them in use. They are absolutely not for usage on a synchro box though, they shift too fast for the synchro to do its thing, which will wear out engagement teeth.
Yeah when I read for use with a syncro box I was like “there’s no way.”

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who did the deposit option on the Neat gearsets, payment is due in full today. :talon::rocks:

Update I received from Sam for anyone interested…

Transparency is really nice, and I appreciate the technical write up.
People who know their stuff can validate if the delay reasons are legit, and it gives you an idea of how the gears will be manufactured.

It sucks that it's a near two month delay, but I like their communication, versus other companies that are just like "Stay tuned."

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back