The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Screenshot_20190408-071203~2.png

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starting the teardown process for the off-season. Got the car jacked up and starting going over things. Cleaned the wheels, took a look at some suspension bits. Found some broken things as can be expected. Splitter mount is broken. Splitter rod is broken. Got some rub on some suspension parts, furthering my thought I may need some small spacers just to get the wheels away from the suspension. Other than that, everything looks ok. Time to start tearing down the motor and figuring out the direction we’re going to go in for next year. I had really wanted to go 2.0/2.0 long rod, but judging the by cost of things, probably going to stay 2.3, just give the bearings and rings a refresh. Also bought an Evo 1-2 intake manifold that will help the midrange and response. Obviously moving over to a 2G head as well. Going to get new cams and springs, so the top end should be pretty awesome. Then have to figure out the conversion to FuelTech. Not so much the fueltech, just how the hell I’m gonna pay for it 😂
8415A218-C3DF-4DD0-AF37-7A595E2A3A65.jpeg
IMG_9131.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpeg
IMG_9134.jpeg
IMG_9136.jpeg
IMG_9135.jpeg
IMG_9137.jpeg

Starting the teardown process for the off-season. Got the car jacked up and starting going over things. Cleaned the wheels, took a look at some suspension bits. Found some broken things as can be expected. Splitter mount is broken. Splitter rod is broken. Got some rub on some suspension parts, furthering my thought I may need some small spacers just to get the wheels away from the suspension. Other than that, everything looks ok. Time to start tearing down the motor and figuring out the direction we’re going to go in for next year. I had really wanted to go 2.0/2.0 long rod, but judging the by cost of things, probably going to stay 2.3, just give the bearings and rings a refresh. Also bought an Evo 1-2 intake manifold that will help the midrange and response. Obviously moving over to a 2G head as well. Going to get new cams and springs, so the top end should be pretty awesome. Then have to figure out the conversion to FuelTech. Not so much the fueltech, just how the hell I’m gonna pay for it 😂View attachment 708117View attachment 708118View attachment 708119View attachment 708120View attachment 708121View attachment 708122View attachment 708123
yeah the rubbing is a thing, i rub on the front so use a 5mm spacer for that coil over clearance. wide wheel and camber problems LOL

Definitely gonna look into a little spacer action.
im not rubbing rears but then you are running more rear camber then I from memory. but a little rubbing is racing no matter what form its in haha

Started pulling the motor apart. About as expected. Cylinder walls don’t look terrible considering that the motors been together for 5 years and has seen extreme abuse. Pretty proud. Got the head off, checked for leaking valves. Some seepage, but nothing terrible. Going to a 2G head anyway and keeping these valves. New springs and cams, evo1-2 intake manifold, fresh injectors, bearings and rings and fresh hone (provided the piston to wall clearance isn’t shot.) but getting excited for next season.
IMG_9184.jpeg
IMG_9186.jpeg
IMG_9185.jpeg
IMG_9183.jpeg

Motor tear down detail: cylinders 1-4 rod bearings look actually pretty amazing considering that this motor has only seen track time for 5 years, and multiple trips to the pegged side of 250° water and oil temp gauges. Pistons are a bit beat up. Still trying to decide if I want to try and reuse them, or figure out a way to afford new ones. Have to start pulling everything apart so I can prep and paint the engine bay to match the interior. All in all, pretty proud of this build that I put together in my garage. Not sent off to some shop somewhere. Super proud. Now to plan what to do next.
IMG_9216.jpeg
IMG_9217.jpeg
IMG_9218.jpeg
IMG_9219.jpeg
IMG_9220.jpeg
IMG_9222.jpeg
IMG_9224.jpeg
IMG_9226.jpeg
IMG_9229.jpeg

He
Motor tear down detail: cylinders 1-4 rod bearings look actually pretty amazing considering that this motor has only seen track time for 5 years, and multiple trips to the pegged side of 250° water and oil temp gauges. Pistons are a bit beat up. Still trying to decide if I want to try and reuse them, or figure out a way to afford new ones. Have to start pulling everything apart so I can prep and paint the engine bay to match the interior. All in all, pretty proud of this build that I put together in my garage. Not sent off to some shop somewhere. Super proud. Now to plan what to do next.View attachment 709351View attachment 709352View attachment 709353View attachment 709354View attachment 709355View attachment 709356View attachment 709357View attachment 709358View attachment 709359
Hell yeah, man!

Oh yeah, I listened to that podcast you were on, that was pretty cool.

Dude, please don't put those pistons back in. All she needs is a hone, fresh oe pistons, rings, bearings, and an oil pump. Are a new set of NPR/Nippon pistons still $175?

He
Hell yeah, man!

Oh yeah, I listened to that podcast you were on, that was pretty cool.

Dude, please don't put those pistons back in. All she needs is a hone, fresh oe pistons, rings, bearings, and an oil pump. Are a new set of NPR/Nippon pistons still $175?
OE pistons aren’t up to the task of what this motor goes through. Gonna talk with a couple people and see what the best bet is. The biggest issue at the moment is that these are still 21mm pin pistons, and almost every aftermarket piston is up to 22mm. So, difficult to nail down a piston I want that checks all the boxes, and is affordable. I still have to pull everything else out so I can paint the engine bay and do the Volk front subframe bushings. We’ll see what we can do about getting the right setup to maximize reliability and balance power. But yeah. Looking to make 500ish to the wheels, so I’m not going to trust OE pistons. And thanks for listening to the podcast! It was so much fun!!

I'm running a transcooler on mine. Oil drain to filter, to oil cooler, to Tilton pump, return back to trans at the fill plug. Tapped the case and use a 180deg thermoswitch switch to kick it on.

If you have pics, I’d love to see them.
I'm thinking I'll move the pump so I can put a cooler that fits better like my oil cooler, can see the picture how I ducted the oil cooler to the bumper, I am going to mirror that on the passenger side. I have everything ducted and sealed up pretty well up front, makes quite a difference in the cooling.

20211004_171241 (2).jpg

20211002_114623.jpg

20230303_161518.jpg

I'm thinking I'll move the pump so I can put a cooler that fits better like my oil cooler, can see the picture how I ducted the oil cooler to the bumper, I am going to mirror that on the passenger side. I have everything ducted and sealed up pretty well up front, makes quite a difference in the cooling.

View attachment 711362

View attachment 711363

View attachment 711364
That’s definitely really interesting. Definitely will consider a setup like this for sure. Thanks for the pics!

Not much going lately. Pistons are shipping in January, so I don’t have too much going on engine wise. Got the engine bay cleaned up and started painting. I really do love how easily this paint goes on and how it looks when finished. Probably going to cut out the radiator support in the middle and put a piece of DOM rollbar tube to kinda bring the space up to work on a better cooling system package. Just a lot going on life wise so it’s difficult to get out to the garage.
IMG_9482.jpeg
IMG_9484.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back