The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Going to work on getting the car fired up today, and possibly on the trailer so when we get back from vacation, the car will be ready to go to the dyno. But’s coming along. Gotta change the oil, finish the wiring for the surge tank and tighten up the clamps for the charge pipe. Don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to fire it up today though.
AB4E7017-B7DC-4B97-BD60-0C1FF83565BE.jpeg

Dyno session the other day. Went well. We weren’t looking for numbers, but more so to try and figure out the throttling issue we had at the Glen. Ken at Black Sheep Tuning was linked in, remote tuning the car and I think we got it figured out. After a several pulls with changes, we were able to get the car to pull to the limiter at wide open. Final number were 380hp/318tq. Not massive numbers, but the goal was reliability, drive ability and a good foundation to build off of at NJMP. Excited to really push the new setup in a couple weeks. Going to make some ignition changes, and then turn up the boost and see what shakes loose. Most likely will be the last event of the year for us, which sucks, but I have some family obligations that I can’t just push aside. Oh also, we picked up a new sponsor. We now have Chase Bays onboard for the rest of the season. So I got their power steering reservoir on the car to help with the EPS. Which, by the way, I love. The EPS had been great. I bought a controller so we’ll be able to adjust the pumps output. High output for the paddock, lower for on track.

BA320930-F67C-476C-BC0C-25FE621EDCC0.jpeg
FF32A657-4CB4-47ED-82CD-2495AA5439AE.jpeg
49DAD0CE-551B-42AC-AAA2-EB09643750F8.jpeg
0E118AF6-F605-4730-8813-E63AA9C5EDD2.jpeg

NJMP next weekend. Car is pretty much ready to go. But….got a new toe rig! Please welcome my new to me, 2019 GMC Yukon! It’s so nice! Definitely the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned!! Now I can tow with AC and comfort. And the tow package for this thing is serious. Max tow is like 6200 pounds, so it won’t even know my trailer and car there. Very excited!!
A135F63B-3AA7-430E-A466-DD0B1C49580F.jpeg
78F1C106-E5F5-4EAE-85B8-E02155BD79C7.jpeg

Alright. Recap of GridLife New Jersey. We arrived Friday evening, unloaded and started getting set up for the weekend. We tried to do some vinyl on the car but it failed. A nice low key evening. Saturday morning was the same old. Drivers meeting, trying to eat something through the nerves. Set tire pressures and went out for the first session. Car felt awesome. On the third lap I could hear the splitter scraping so I pulled in. We lost a splitter puck and clevis anchor. Missed the next session trying to secure splitter parts or come up with a solution which required a couple runs to lowes. Luckily, Dewey had spares and hooked us up. Got back out 3rd session, car felt really good. Finally starting to get the Fortune Auto 510’s dialed, and Bobby’s rear Evo bar adapters with the Evo bar really woke up the rear end. Car was giving great rotation on T5, which is the slowest corner on the track. Final session of the day, we clicked off a 1:28.5 which got us within 5 tenths of the leader. Feeling confident about Sunday mornings session, we prepped to put a spicy tube in the car. Saturday night after the final session, we found that the left rear was flat and discovered a bad tire valve. Found a shop open at 7am on Sunday morning and got it fixed. Uploaded a tune from Ken at black sheep tuning, but the car didn’t like it. The rest of the day we struggled with speed and just couldn’t find the pace we needed to catch the leader. So all said and done, came home 2nd, but more importantly, we held on to the track mod AWD track record. Something I’m very proud of. A great weekend all around. Saw friends, had a few good laughs and discussions. I love racing.
9F6683FE-8E90-4EB6-B227-C6063F2B030C.jpeg
96A5F110-DF43-4FDB-9A49-76CFA2B691B6.jpeg
C4756CA6-24D1-457D-A98E-8FF9A94B4234.jpeg
1402C251-279A-4BBD-B255-3137F0F03D2F.jpeg
40A79EA5-AE07-46DB-876A-9064AA1EFA3B.jpeg
1F356F15-8B99-4F23-9406-154D4D2E0CB8.jpeg

Tedward caught you on his IG while talking about the Civic behind you.

Tedward caught you on his IG while talking about the Civic behind you.

Ha! Yeah I’m friends with Eddie (the civic sliding). That was a good time.

Congratulations on your accomplishments so far. Really liking the innovation of your equipment choices and can completely relate to having to fix issues at the track. Sometimes the race is the sanest part of the whole experience. Hopefully every season becomes smoother for you.

Congratulations on your accomplishments so far. Really liking the innovation of your equipment choices and can completely relate to having to fix issues at the track. Sometimes the race is the sanest part of the whole experience. Hopefully every season becomes smoother for you.
Thanks! Yeah that’s the goal. Less downtime making repairs, more time fine tuning the setup to find time.

Nice read. I'm jealous. What's your trans cooling set up? What pump are you running in the surge? Are you using an underdrive pulley on the alt?

Nice read. I'm jealous. What's your trans cooling set up? What pump are you running in the surge? Are you using an underdrive pulley on the alt?
No cooling setup on the trans yet. Hopefully will build something this winter. I’m running a 450 in the stock tank and surge tank. And I’m running an under drive pulley on the water pump pulley.

No cooling setup on the trans yet. Hopefully will build something this winter. I’m running a 450 in the stock tank and surge tank. And I’m running an under drive pulley on the water pump pulley.
I'll have to chat with you on the trans cooling setup. I'm having TRE add some cooling ports to mine while it's back in for a rebuild so I'll likely work on this over the winter as well.

Please share details of the cooling ports being added. Using the fill and drain ports may not be ideal however any tranny cooling is better than no cooling on a road course. There are low profile banjo fittings and skid plate use that could address clearance concerns at the drain port. Fluid temp pump and fan control is a must.

I'll have to chat with you on the trans cooling setup. I'm having TRE add some cooling ports to mine while it's back in for a rebuild so I'll likely work on this over the winter as well.
For sure. Car didn’t break the trans this last weekend at Lime Rock with GridLife. Think that’s a first LOL.

Please share details of the cooling ports being added. Using the fill and drain ports may not be ideal however any tranny cooling is better than no cooling on a road course. There are low profile banjo fittings and skid plate use that could address clearance concerns at the drain port. Fluid temp pump and fan control is a must.
The system I saw pulled fluid from below the fill port, and returned the cooled oil to the case by way of a sprayer system that sprayed the returning oil on to the gears. A really trick setup.

GridLife Circuit Legends at Lime Rock:

What a weekend. This is going to be a long post for sure. So grab a snack LOL.

Got to Lime Rock Thursday evening. Had to wait about an hour to get in cause it was just packed. Unloaded, and got to work. Had to do an oil change and replace a brake hose. During my post race from NJMP, I found the tire had rubbed through the braiding on the left front brake hose so it was just bare PTFE. Replaced that and bled the brakes. Then it was just chill time.

Woke up Saturday to heavy rain. It moved out pretty quick, but I didn’t go out first session just cause I didn’t trust the track. Went out 2nd session, and it was back to the issue of the car pulling timing and throwing the check engine light. Still, managed a 59.5, which finally put me in the sub one minute club. So very happy about that. Went over the car, and couldn’t find anything that would’ve caused the knock. Went out final session and the car went slower, 59.8. Still dealing with the issues.

Saturday, went out first session, and on my first hot lap, the car shut off. I was able to pull over out of the way so the session stayed green. Got towed back to the paddock. Had no fuel pressure. As I started testing things, the pump in the tank wasn’t getting any voltage. Turned out the relay had gotten jostled loose. Put that back in and made a repair with some electrical tape.

While test driving the car around the paddock, I could an exhaust leak. Got back to my spot and investigated. Found a crack in the exhaust manifold right at the flange for the turbo Vband. Luckily a buddy had a welder, so I pulled the manifold and he fixed it up. Got it back on the car.

Went out for the final session of the weekend, wound up running a 58.4!! Which was good for 4th in class. I messed up the lap and was actually on my way to a 57, but I bumped the curb in west bend and it threw me off line. But still a very fun time.

All in al super great time if you can go next year, I suggest that you do. Total blast
FB295EA9-BE92-4572-8A2E-5145C1154A03.jpeg
BD9C8968-36CB-4E40-A9DF-AA67F14355A7.jpeg
A42E7033-E85B-4CC2-8D29-2A55072FCB53.jpeg
4407B638-FD38-4E73-A1A9-0D67AF490A5F.jpeg
3656D844-D38E-4282-BD28-D004C95A7EB5.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back