The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2g harmonic damper on 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonza97

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2022
General Pico, South_America
Greetings group, My 1G DSM harmonic damper has snapped, and I'm planning to make a trip in 2 weeks.
I'm left with either going without the damper apparently, or while searching in my place I can only find 2Gs

So:
Can I use a 2G one instead? Or going without the damper in the pulley or is it going to give me future mechanical issues?

And then for mostly stock applications can I use ATI or Fluidamper without issues?

Thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To use the ATI pulley you have to replace the timing belt cog/sprocket on the crank with the one that comes with the pulley. The fluidamper does not require this which is why I went with a fluidamper when I got one years ago. They will work fine on a stock engine.

I'm 99% sure the 2g is interchangeable with the 1g. The pulley sizes may be slightly different due to using a different alternator and a/c compressor but someone with more knowlege should be able to chime in. Otherwise I'll try to compare 2 of them when I get home. I have a feeling I've tossed a 2g pulley on a 1g before and never even noticed.

Other thing is when guys put 6 bolt blocks in 2g cars I've never seen the damper mentioned which leads me to believe they can be interchanged without issue

They are interchangeable - not identical - but one can be used in place of the other.

Supposedly, the 2G pulley is heavier and more likely to separate, compared to a 1G pulley. I personally have never looked that closely at them.

They are interchangeable - not identical - but one can be used in place of the other.

Supposedly, the 2G pulley is heavier and more likely to separate, compared to a 1G pulley. I personally have never looked that closely at them.
More likely? Eep!

STM now lists a single part for use across all DSMs (and earlier Evos) -- the 2G p/n

Guess that's what we got now if we don't go ATI/Fluidampr

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back