The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What would you pay??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM IN MN

Supporting VIP
May 17, 2009
Wadena, Minnesota
There is a junkyard about an hour away from where I live that has a '93 Talon N/T with 191,xxx miles on it. The engine is literally all there. If all goes well, I may have a new project on my plate soon and the engine in this car would be a great starting point.

The problem is though; they are asking $450 for it. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe I have heard of people picking up complete turbo 6 bolts for around $50.

If you were in my shoes, how much would you even consider offering them?

I would probably have to pull it myself too. Just thought that might be taken into consideration as well.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

that is really cheap I live in central PA, idk about a whole engine but here is some stuff I got quoted on recently,
windshield - $75
Exhaust Mani - $40
o2 housing - $20
exhaust manifold bolts and stud - $10
stock t28 turbo - $100

not sure what happened to this engine in the pic but I got a "backup" turbo from another junkyard for $100 and it was unmolested and no shaft play, still have the stock diverter valve =P
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

EDIT: I might call down there tomorrow to see how much for the whole engine.

that is really cheap I live in central PA, idk about a whole engine but here is some stuff I got quoted on recently,
windshield - $75
Exhaust Mani - $40
o2 housing - $20
exhaust manifold bolts and stud - $10
stock t28 turbo - $100

not sure what happened to this engine in the pic but I got a "backup" turbo from another junkyard for $100 and it was unmolested and no shaft play, still have the stock diverter valve =P

EDIT: I might call down there tomorrow to see how much for the whole engine.

$450 = cheap? For a 191K engine? I'm not sure I agree with you.

Not to mention that picture looks like....well, it is a 2g. I'm talking a 7 bolt 1g (atleast I believe so anyways).

Stock T28?

I'd pay $150-200 for a longblock especially with close to 200k. I'd be worried about reusing the oil pump. I would keep looking unless you need all the boltons. Craigslist has a lot of good deals

I wouldn't necessarily need ALL of the bolt-on stuff. After 191k miles though, I think it is going to be pretty hard to remove the exhaust manifold on the spot. LOL It'll probably all just have to come with until I can heat it up to get it off. Like I said though, it would be for a project. Mostly everything would be new in it. That is unless something better pops up on CL or a local forum.
Thanks.

Is that just the engine or complete car? If its engine only, with that high of mileage and being a N/T, I'd offer $150 at most as a re-buildable core. But thats just me.

Just the engine. Thanks. I was thinking maybe around $100. It just seems so odd they want close to $500 for a close to 200k engine.. :hmm:

not to thread jack but this is the engine I got the spare turbo from, has 105k miles no mods, what would you offer?

I don't mean to jack your thread or anything, but I'm going to do it anyway. :toobad: :notgood:

Last edited:
well if its a running engine id say no more then $300, and I think you may have been mis-informed on the six bolt price unless you forgot a zero at the end of that. either way if you're starting a project and are about to go ground up the n/a block itself is the same with the exception of knock senser which u can put in yourself. Note: the block itself not the pistons and cams etc. either way the n/a to turbo conversion is an easy one especially seems how you will be able to work on the engine while it's out! There are plenty of threads about it. So yeah I wouldn't pay more then $300 maybe $350 if it's a runner for just engine.

well if its a running engine id say no more then $300, and I think you may have been mis-informed on the six bolt price unless you forgot a zero at the end of that. either way if you're starting a project and are about to go ground up the n/a block itself is the same with the exception of knock senser which u can put in yourself. Note: the block itself not the pistons and cams etc. either way the n/a to turbo conversion is an easy one especially seems how you will be able to work on the engine while it's out! There are plenty of threads about it. So yeah I wouldn't pay more then $300 maybe $350 if it's a runner for just engine.

The website advertises it as a running engine. Even then I think anything close to $300 is getting pretty high. I am dead serious about the 6 bolt long blocks. I have met a few people whom have picked these engines up from junkyards for almost nothing.

The plans for internals might be along the lines of 2g pistons on 1g rods; just something simple that can be used to handle boost pressure(s). Plus I may add, this would not be going into a DSM. :D

Thank you for the input.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back