The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

what do you think? polished cylinder head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM's 4 life

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2011
Buffalo, New_York
I am using this 2g head on my next build with a 1g block. I think I am going to go back and get all the spots I missed once I finish up with the intake side. was just wondering what you guys thik only other person I saw do this was jafro mobile on youtube.

Attachments

• 72524_10200330571574977_944318428_n.jpg
    72524_10200330571574977_944318428_n.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 184
Believe it or not that took me about 10 hours and I did not get all the pits from the casting out. I will have put 1,500 into it after machine work, cams, valves, and springs when its finished and I don't want it to look like a stock head at first glance.

looks alright but for me i wouldnt do that since i have alot of other things polished under the hood. wouldnt some of the casting you took off be for structural stregnth since aluminum heats up and cools down differntly. maybe not tho.

I would say most of your cooling comes from water rather than air. If it was an air cooled motor this would be a bad idea. You want the most surface area.

I've heard about V8 guys running into cooling problems due to overly chromed engines. I think it's more about reflection than convection.

I'm sure it will be great though, I was just playing devils advocate.

looks alright but for me i wouldnt do that since i have alot of other things polished under the hood. wouldnt some of the casting you took off be for structural stregnth since aluminum heats up and cools down differntly. maybe not tho.

I think the casting he is referring to is the excess mold casting. When mitsubishi was producing these cars supply didn't meet demand so the excess casting from the molding of the heads was a result. Removing excess casting from the inside of the head takes time but is a good idea, because over time it can chip away circulating more metal flakes through your engine. I'd only say to do this if you were really picky ;)

Looks good.

Looks awsome! I thought about doing that to my head, but considering the amount of it that is ACTUALLY seen, and the work to maintain polished aluminum, decided not to. Props for taking the time to do it, have fun keeping it polished though.

Nate

I'm sure it will be great though, I was just playing devils advocate.
I LOL'd at it.

I worry about dulling, and oxidation. Worse than it does already without the polish on it.

He could always clear coat it, I've done a couple engine parts on my supra when I did the head job on it and the clear coats held up fine. Best part is the first heat cycle on the engine cures the clear coat really really fast.

Last edited:
Nice work! How far around it did you go?

The longer you spend sanding, the less time you'll spend polishing. I took mine to 1200 grit before breaking out the polishing wheels. It's important to protect the steel parts of the head like the oil gallery plugs, valve seats, studs, etc... when wet sanding because they'll rust very quickly. Dry it thoroughly.

Most clear coats tend to yellow. All of them will dull the natural shine of polished aluminum. Every time the engine's at operating temperature, the clear coat gets tacky and absorbs any dirt or grime in the air. There tends to be a lot more of that in an engine bay than you'd find elsewhere. Long term affects of clear coating can be problematic even for the high heat varieties. I would advise against clear coating the head.

Polished parts can be a beast to maintain. You'll stop driving the car in the rain and snow entirely because of the work it creates. I'd recommend a polymer-based coating like ZoopSeal. Once you've polished a part, the process really never ends. ZoopSeal doesn't leave residue so if you need to modify the part or re-polish it somewhere down the road it doesn't create a new problem. It's waterproof, and resistant to everything except abrasion. You'll regret not using it if you skip it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back