The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

transmission wont go into gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuclearpenguin

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2006
park city, Kansas
I did a clutch swap with a act 2600 (street disc) and installed a new fidanza flywheel, reinstalled all the stuff and now the car won't go into gear. The car was acting really funny when I first started it too (I think it was probably just old gas). Anyways, I noticed when I try to put it into reverse, the rpms dropped by about 200-300. We bled the clutch already, and I'm going to do it again and also try backing out the adjustment rod, I just wondered if there was any significance to the rpms dropping. Any ideas?

It goes into gear just fine when the motor isn't running. And the clutch fork was right in the center of the window so I shouldn't need to shim the ball.

You could double check the shift linkages first, make sure they're not twisted and are on the correct arms. Long shot, but it wouldn't be the first time they were the problem. The RPM drop seems to indicate clutch drag with the clutch in. That would explain the slight drop in RPMs and also why it shifts better when the engine is stopped.

You more than likely need to adjust the clutch. It sounds like the disk is dragging when disengaged.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back