The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

tranny experts help.. Center diff won't come out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gino

Probationary Member
Feb 18, 2004
rotterdam, Europe
Hello,
I recently bought a 1990 gsx,with a dead clutch, so I took it, drove it home
(5 miles) real slow, it was slipping like hell, but it felt strange, never had e slipping
clutcg like that before, anyways, I bought a new clutch, put it in, and the damn thing just
kept slipping. Put it in first, second... all gears, just keeps slipping, and as I saw my
speedometer going up while the car being still, I knew there was something WRONG with my trans.
So I took it apart to get the Center diff out. And here is my problem,
it just WON'T come out. As far as I know, it should just be pulled out
(after the second case is removed ofcourse).
I managed to unbolt the bolts of the center diff so I could see what was happening inside,
and yes, the gears have a couple of broken teeth.
BUT, the D*** thing still sits in the case and won't come out.
As by now my gues is that the output shaft is all worn out, being
the reason I dont get any movement from the car, nor frontwheel nor rearwheel.
Do you think thats why the center diff won't slip out?( because of being all worn out)

Thanking you all in advance,I remain..
Gino

Did any of the stripped teeth lodge it in place? It should come out easier than that.

I gues so ...:confused:
took the hole trans to a shop yesterday, see if they could like pry it out,
but the could not.. (not breaking anything, like the bearing case)
Right now I'm thinking about welding the center diff, with it still in!
running out of solutions... OMG

Once the Viscous Coupling is removed and the second case taken apart there shouldn't be anything retaining the center diff. IF the side gear is so swedged into the side of the case it may have cracked the housing and wedged the diff in.
As by now my gues is that the output shaft is all worn out, being
It is most likely shot if your center diff is that bad along with the input gear in your Xfer case. Be sure too check both or you'll be taking it apart again.
Right now I'm thinking about welding the center diff, with it still in!
Don't do that if the case is cracked and wedged in! It won't solve anything.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Originally posted by 4pistons
Once the Viscous Coupling is removed and the second case taken apart there shouldn't be anything retaining the center diff. IF the side gear is so swedged into the side of the case it may have cracked the housing and wedged the diff in. It is most likely shot if your center diff is that bad along with the input gear in your Xfer case. Be sure too check both or you'll be taking it apart again. Don't do that if the case is cracked and wedged in! It won't solve anything.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

That's what I was thinking. :thumb:

ok guys,
I figured " since the diff won't come out.. I'll have to look for another trans... so why not try and weld the diff while still sitting in the case.
So I did!, put the trans back together , this time witout the VC and then in the car, and.... it works now ofcourse, 50/50. I t does all the things it should do when 50/50, but I don't mind. I guess that extra stress made all of the remaining
drivetrain problems come out, like: worn out carrier bearing, at least I think, cause I can hear it hitting under my car when going like 30 miles, and it keeps vibrating after that...
Anyways I'm driving in frontwheel drive mode now without any isseus.
Thanks for the inputs:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back