The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Timing off, need help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle93

Probationary Member
Jun 13, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Hi I have a 92 gsx and my timing seems to be off one or two teeth, I am willing to pay for some help. I do not understand timing very well and would appreciate some help so I don't mess up my engine. My balance shaft also sounds like it is off. I am located in Elgin, It's in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offering $50 to anyone that lives near Elgin, IL to help my dumb*** get the timing done right. Have belt on but cam gears look a little off. Went at it for 3 hours and still am stumped, I've tried moving the intake and exhaust cams a tooth or two and cant get it to line up properly.

Look on Ebay. Some dude in Indiana makes the special tools to hold the timing stuff. They seem of good quality and where very reasonably priced. Makes the job way easier. I also used vice grips to hold the belt on the gears because, if I remember correctly, you need to kind of "squeeze" the cam gears together to get the belt on them right. Then, I held it on with them grips while I put the belt on the bottom end.

You got the belt tensioner pulley going in the right direction? I want to say that I once twisted it the wrong way and my timing jumped too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-3-TIMING-BELT-INSTALL-TOOLS-ECLIPSE-GALANT-DSM-4G63-4G64-EVO-1-2-/140720653827?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c39ac603&vxp=mtr

Look on Ebay. Some dude in Indiana makes the special tools to hold the timing stuff. They seem of good quality and where very reasonably priced. Makes the job way easier. I also used vice grips to hold the belt on the gears because, if I remember correctly, you need to kind of "squeeze" the cam gears together to get the belt on them right. Then, I held it on with them grips while I put the belt on the bottom end.

You got the belt tensioner pulley going in the right direction? I want to say that I once twisted it the wrong way and my timing jumped too.

MITSUBISHI 3 TIMING BELT INSTALL TOOLS ECLIPSE GALANT DSM 4G63 4G64 EVO 1-2 | eBay

yeah you do have to squeeze them together but my problem is they are not fully lining up. Its to the point where one of them always look a little forward too much or a little back too much :/ the tools would help hold everything but i would still be guessing on the gear alignment by one tooth

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back