The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Suggestions for 97 GSX Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDgr97GSX

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2009
Romania, Europe
Hello everybody. Before i start this thread i did my research...but i still have some doubts and many questions. I'm from Romania, and soon i'll start rebuild my car...but unfortunately before i can do this i have to order all the parts that i need...and i have to order them from America...so i have to know exactly what to order. It will be a daily driven car...and sometimes in amateurs drag contest. Honestly...in the beginning i wolud like to keep my engine stock as much as possible because is still life in it...and make enough power with best possible gas mileage. I'll apreciate any help, any suggestion and advice and i wish everyone it will be patient...because i will be a long way till the end of the project. Here is a list with everyting i was thinking to order. U can add, erase or comment about the choices i've made.
1 DSM FP3065 Ball Bearing Turbocharger 1520$
2 FP DSM Race Manifold 199$
3 TiAL 44mm vband Wastegate 385$
4 FP Custom 3" SS O2 Housing 625$
5 FP DSM Intake Cams 214$ HKS 272
6 FP DSM Exhaust Cams 214$ HKS 272
7 Injectors 300$
8 Extreme PSI Intake Kit 150$
9 GReddy Type-RS Blowoff Valve Kit 266$
10 Walbro Fuel Pumps 70$ FPGSS342
11 Walbro Install Kits 20$ 400-847
12 ACT Xtreme Street Clutch Kit 2600 510$
13 Fidanza Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel 200$
14 ECMLink (DSMLink) V3 600$
15 Apexi Super AVC-R Boost Controller 450$
16 Apexi GT Downpipe 255$
17 Apexi GT Cat-back Exhaust 800$
18 GReddy Intercooler Kit Type 24V 800$
19 GReddy Piping Kit 250$
20 Tein Type Flex Damper Kit 1500$
21 Tein EDFC Controller Kit 240$
22 Tein EDFC Stepping Motor Kit 160$
23 Tein EDFC Strut Kit 30$
24 Mishimoto Fan & Aluminum Shroud Kit 190$
25 Fuelab 515 omplete Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit 210$
26 FueLab "818" Complete Fuel Feed Upgrade Kit 160$
27 AEM High Volume Fuel Rail 192$
28 Megan Racing Rear Strut Bar 50$
29 Megan Racing Front Strut Bar 50$
30 Rotora Big Brake System - Front 2700$ 355x35mm
31 Rotora Big Brake System Rear 2000$ 330x30mm
32 Wideband O2 Sensor 270$
33 Racing Short Shifter 100$
34 Prothane Motor Mount Inserts 70$
35 Prothane Total Kit Bushings 200$
36 Lotek Triple Pillar Pod 50$
37 AC-Autotechnic S7 EL Instrumental Gauges 100$
38 AC-Autotechnic D5 Race Gauges Oil Temp 100$
39 AC-Autotechnic S7 Race Gauges Air/fuel 80$
40 AC-Autotechnic S7 Race Gauges Boost 60$

Last edited by a moderator:
What size of injectors do you plan on getting? Its a good idea to upgrade your engine, a stock engine will not be able to stay together with the amount of power the fp3065 will put out.

As well, you will not need to buy the greddy intercooler piping if you are already buying the intercooler kit.

I would probably stay away from the fidanza FW. I had mine on for like maybe 3000 miles on it and it looks like its close to being done with. Go with the ACT FW. Also try STM they got some pretty good prices on there clutches.

I wish we have tracks like you guys have in USA....where u can go and do whatever you want in safe....but we don't...even the roads are pretty bad...so we have to deal with what we have. other times in "tuning shows" where are drag contests. About the injectors...i don't know what to say...long time ago....everybody was runing around 650-800...now i see they past over 1000. My bigest problem is that i want decent gas mileage with maximum power possible...maybe it will sound funny...but i love this car...and i'm driving it alot...and the gasoline is not that cheap like is in america :). I read in a post that an AFC can solve this problem and get decent gas mileage on street with less power. The reason i've chose FP3065 is that maybe...someday i want more...but i can have 3052..no problem..and if for this i have to change the internals of the engine...i'll do it...but i've read the stock engine can handle not more then 20 PSI....so i thought this turbo...can be run. About the intercooler...i check it on extrempsi web site..and i'm not sure if it is or without piping kit...but i think is without :D

I would probably stay away from the fidanza FW. I had mine on for like maybe 3000 miles on it and it looks like its close to being done with. Go with the ACT FW. Also try STM they got some pretty good prices on there clutches.

I chose the fidanza because of the weight and the replaceable friction plate :hmm: I've read only good things about ACT clutches...so maybe they are the best choice. Thanks for advice.

Well psi is irrelevant, dont choose a turbo based on its psi you want to run, choose it on its flow. I know some people that run 30psi with 16g's on stock 7-bolts. The fp3065 flows a lot more than what that engine can handle, so keep boost levels down.

I would also consider building the engine. You will be able to maximize the performance that you will get out of your turbo with that setup.

Well psi is irrelevant, dont choose a turbo based on its psi you want to run, choose it on its flow. I know some people that run 30psi with 16g's on stock 7-bolts. The fp3065 flows a lot more than what that engine can handle, so keep boost levels down.
I got it..let say is not such a big problem if i have to rebuild or not the engine. i just didn't want to rebuid it from begining...just skip it for later. I was choosing the turbo after all posts i've read...i want someting that is ball bearing and able to make more then 500hp...i know both of them are efficient and capabile of doing that...and maybe 3052 is better then 3065 for me.:hmm:

I would also consider building the engine. You will be able to maximize the performance that you will get out of your turbo with that setup.

:) Sooner or later i have to rebuild it...so maybe i'll do it from beginning...in this way i don't have to work twice. I have to admit that i haven't done any research about rebuild engine..so any seggestion about what i need...it will be welcome:D

And just like an ideea...how much power it will be with this setup...because i don't have a clue..:aha:

You'll want a metal head gasket and some ARP studs to hold all that power into the engine. It's hard to say how much power you will make since you haven't decided on how much psi you will be running. A turbo like that is enough to make most people happy though so you will have fun.

ARP head studs would be a good choice, so wouldn't a Fluidampr dampened crank pulley.

I'd skip out on the Apexi GT exhaust and go with the HKS Carbon-Ti on price alone.

Our FMIC is also much better suited for a turbo that large in comparison to the Greddy kit. The Greddy kit is very over priced and is very outdated.

I chose the fidanza because of the weight and the replaceable friction plate :hmm: I've read only good things about ACT clutches...so maybe they are the best choice. Thanks for advice.

ACT is over rated and over priced, i have a 6 puck fidanza clutch and i love it, plus it was a bit cheaper than ACT...if you want your car for drag racing then you don't need a light flywheel, since it is going to rev quicker.

ACT is over rated and over priced, i have a 6 puck fidanza clutch and i love it, plus it was a bit cheaper than ACT...if you want your car for drag racing then you don't need a light flywheel, since it is going to rev quicker.

just because you love your fidanza clutch doesnt mean its better than an ACT clutch. I personally would stick with ACT.

just because you love your fidanza clutch doesnt mean its better than an ACT clutch. I personally would stick with ACT.

You need to do some more reading on act clutches and their prematuarly failur of springs on the disk, and NO it has not happened once or twice, so when i say they are over rated is becasue i am talking from my experience and from past experience of fellow dsmers

I personally prefer the ACT as well.

You need to do some more reading on act clutches and their prematuarly failur of springs on the disk, and NO it has not happened once or twice, so when i say they are over rated is becasue i am talking from my experience and from past experience of fellow dsmers

If you look at the amount of ACT clutches sold in comparison to Fidanza's there are bound to be more defective units. I've actually seen a few Fidanza clutch discs fail prematurely as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean every Fidanza clutch disc will fail.

For high HP applications we always recommend a steel flywheel like the ACT. There are a few pictures of a Fidanza flywheel floating around where the flywheel bolt area completely seperated from the rest of the flywheel but then again that doesn't mean every Fidanza flywheel will fail.

I dont need to read anything because I would rather invest in a twin disk setup. The guy a couple of posts before you even says he has a fidanza flywheel and it only has 3000 miles on it and it looks like its close to being done with. So now you can go around telling everybody that fidanza is over rated and over priced. Your NOT talking from your experience so dont say you are, unless YOU actually had a "premature failure springs on the disk" :cool:

I'm not sure what is included with the two fuel kits (#25 and 26), but this may be overkill for your goals. You can run high hp cars on stock fuel lines.

If you're worried about an ACT disc failure, get an ACT 2600 pressure plate with a Southbend disc. There's a member on here (twicks69) that made 600hp+ on that setup with a Fidanza flywheel, I believe.

Remember that to run ECMlink you need an EPROM ECU.

I would suggest rethinking the AVC-R and just getting a manual boost controller. Much cheaper alternative.

I would suggest looking into other exhaust options. Megan Racing has a nice downpipe and catback setup for a good price. For an AWD it's a full 3".

The Greddy kit is overrated, as Mangina said. Either look into the kit he offers through VR Speed Factory, or look into an ETS kit.

What is the Tein EDFC Strut Kit? I have the Tein Flex with EDFC, but this doesn't sound familiar. If you're able to (and shipping isn't astronomical), check eBay for the Flex coilovers and EDFC system. I got both shipped for $1600 after haggling with the seller for a bit ($1300 for Flex's and $300 for EDFC).

The AEM fuel rail is not needed. 99% of the people on this site do not need an aftermarket fuel rail, as the stock is plenty big. If you're just getting it for the "bling" factor, then that's up to you.

Any reason you're going with the Rotora brake kits? Do you think you'll have a need for something bigger than the stock setup, especially if you're not heavily into autox/road racing? I would say to just get a good set of rotors and pads. I think that kit (or any kit) would be overkill if you're just looking for a street car, with a few drag runs. But, if you're looking for a nice kit, I'd check out TCE as they offer some very nice kits, which are much cheaper.

Which wideband will you be going with?

Which short shifter will you be going with?

Do you really think you'll need the Prothane total bushing kit? Again, this isn't really a necessity for most people on here, unless you're into autox/road racing. I highly recommend the motor mount kit, but the full bushing kit might again be overkill for you.

As always, make sure you have EVERYTHING you could need/want. This includes gaskets, clutch line, OEM parts, timing belt components, turbo oil feed/return lines, o-rings, seals, and all of that small stuff you forget about until you actually get into the car. Make sure you think it over a few times.

Perhaps i have to explain my choices so everybody will understand better what i want. First of all..i will take out everything form the car...sand blast it...and repainted. Since i'm doing this i was thinking it will be smarter to get all the parts i need and cheange them when i start assemble the car back. I know is not so popular to invest money in car design...and a lot of guys prefer to put the money in performance...but i want both of them...good looking and performance. Most of the parts are from extrempsi website together with prices because i have to order them from one place...so i can ship them all to my country. Ofcurse some of them i can buy from other shops. About flywheel i think fidanza i wasn't a good choice and i put on my list the ACT one. Is with 100$ more then Fidanza.
With clutch kit we will see...but i think most of the people would say the ACT 2600 is a good choice

I'm not sure what is included with the two fuel kits (#25 and 26), but this may be overkill for your goals. You can run high hp cars on stock fuel lines.

The items from #25 is a complete fuel pressure regulator Includes -6AN Fuel Lab 515 Series Fuel Pressure Regulator, 0-100 PSI Liquid Filled Gauge and Stainless Steel Fuel Pressure Regulator Install Kit and at #26 is just a fuel filter that Includes -6AN Fuel Lab 818 Series Fuel Filter, necessary fittings to bolt up to stock fuel feed hard line, and stainless steel fuel feed upgrade kit with -6 AN fuel rail fitting. With the fuel filter i want to replace the old one...and this one have an option to change only the fileter for 10$ and a fuel regulator is a must have...right?:hmm:

If you're worried about an ACT disc failure, get an ACT 2600 pressure plate with a Southbend disc. There's a member on here (twicks69) that made 600hp+ on that setup with a Fidanza flywheel, I believe.

I have to make more resarch and get more suggestions. Till now...i thinks it is still a good choice.

Remember that to run ECMlink you need an EPROM ECU.

I know. First i was thinking about Apexi AFC Neo but i haven't read so many goos things about it...and everyboy advice is to get a DSMLink. My ECU is not EPROM..so ether i have to send it to america to make it..or order the "cip" and install it.

I would suggest rethinking the AVC-R and just getting a manual boost controller. Much cheaper alternative.

I've chose this one because is much easyer to play with him and u can adjust it very quick.

I would suggest looking into other exhaust options. Megan Racing has a nice downpipe and catback setup for a good price. For an AWD it's a full 3".

The Apexi GT is the most expensive one. So maybe is not worth it. Megan is around 400 $ and HKS with 200$ more.:hmm: I'll think about it. Probably i'll get the Megan or HKS.

The Greddy kit is overrated, as Mangina said. Either look into the kit he offers through VR Speed Factory, or look into an ETS kit.

Here is a problem. I've did a lot of research...i could find some nice topics about intercoolers. The point is...i want to keep my fog lights...and i know they are athers intercooler that alows you to have the fog lights...but they are a little bit hard to purchase. I need some help here.:D

What is the Tein EDFC Strut Kit? I have the Tein Flex with EDFC, but this doesn't sound familiar. If you're able to (and shipping isn't astronomical), check eBay for the Flex coilovers and EDFC system. I got both shipped for $1600 after haggling with the seller for a bit ($1300 for Flex's and $300 for EDFC).

The stud kit it was on the web site together with EDFC Controller, Tein EDFC Stepping Motor Kit and Tein EDFC Strut Kit. I don't know exactly what i need from here to make it work with TEIN FLEX Coilover. Maybe only the EDFC controller and Motor kit? I need some help here too.:D But defenetly i need this kit because of the roads we heve them here. It will be nice to be able to adjust the suspension witout going around the car.

The AEM fuel rail is not needed. 99% of the people on this site do not need an aftermarket fuel rail, as the stock is plenty big. If you're just getting it for the "bling" factor, then that's up to you.

I thought if i'm buying the regulator kit and fuel filter..it will be nice to have a new fuel rail. It was a little bit for bling bling also...but i didn't know that the stock one is that good and can handle big injectors.

Any reason you're going with the Rotora brake kits? Do you think you'll have a need for something bigger than the stock setup, especially if you're not heavily into autox/road racing? I would say to just get a good set of rotors and pads. I think that kit (or any kit) would be overkill if you're just looking for a street car, with a few drag runs. But, if you're looking for a nice kit, I'd check out TCE as they offer some very nice kits, which are much cheaper.

Here is because Rotora is the only company who make big rotors sloted and drilled. I want a good looking exterior..and very good brakes...and it's bigest possible since i'll run 18' rims from OZ. Power is nothing without control..right?:p

Which wideband will you be going with?

First i was thinking at LC-1 Cable with bosch sensor..but after some search i think i'm going with AEM.

Which short shifter will you be going with?

I don't know. I have to figure this out. Maybe the Megan Racing or the B&M( i think i've read some good things about this one)

Do you really think you'll need the Prothane total bushing kit? Again, this isn't really a necessity for most people on here, unless you're into autox/road racing. I highly recommend the motor mount kit, but the full bushing kit might again be overkill for you.

Because of the roads we have i chose prothane bushings. I don't know if is a real deal...but if will last more then normal ruber bushing..maybe is good to have it...if is not affecting the comfort. And if i got this..i was thinking to get the motor mounting kit..because mine are a little bit damaged.

As always, make sure you have EVERYTHING you could need/want. This includes gaskets, clutch line, OEM parts, timing belt components, turbo oil feed/return lines, o-rings, seals, and all of that small stuff you forget about until you actually get into the car. Make sure you think it over a few times.

This is a really good advice. What to you think about the Topline complete gasket kit?

Thanks everyone for helping me!:D

The items from #25 is a complete fuel pressure regulator Includes -6AN Fuel Lab 515 Series Fuel Pressure Regulator, 0-100 PSI Liquid Filled Gauge and Stainless Steel Fuel Pressure Regulator Install Kit and at #26 is just a fuel filter that Includes -6AN Fuel Lab 818 Series Fuel Filter, necessary fittings to bolt up to stock fuel feed hard line, and stainless steel fuel feed upgrade kit with -6 AN fuel rail fitting. With the fuel filter i want to replace the old one...and this one have an option to change only the fileter for 10$ and a fuel regulator is a must have...right?:hmm:

Both are great upgrades!! Good choices.

I have to make more resarch and get more suggestions. Till now...i thinks it is still a good choice.

There is A LOT of clutch/flywheel info on here so make sure you read it all. There are plenty of worthy setups.

I know. First i was thinking about Apexi AFC Neo but i haven't read so many goos things about it...and everyboy advice is to get a DSMLink. My ECU is not EPROM..so ether i have to send it to america to make it..or order the "cip" and install it.

DSMlink is definitely the way to go. However, there is no way to change your current non-EPROM into an EPROM (if you had a 1g, it would be possible). You will have to buy an EPROM ECU and then have it socketed. This will allow you to install the ECMlink chip.

I've chose this one because is much easyer to play with him and u can adjust it very quick.

Ok. The only time I really see people using this is if they're FWD, as this will help control the boost based on gear I believe.

The Apexi GT is the most expensive one. So maybe is not worth it. Megan is around 400 $ and HKS with 200$ more.:hmm: I'll think about it. Probably i'll get the Megan or HKS.

The most expensive is not always the best. A lot of people are happy with the Megan Racing, eBay, and Thermal R&D exhaust systems. Either that or they have one custom made.

Here is a problem. I've did a lot of research...i could find some nice topics about intercoolers. The point is...i want to keep my fog lights...and i know they are athers intercooler that alows you to have the fog lights...but they are a little bit hard to purchase. I need some help here.:D

The ETS kits (7" kits, not 10.5") should allow you to keep both the fog lights as well as the crash beam.

Click on one of the 7" kits here and read the last paragraph:
2G Mitsubishi Eclipse Performance Parts by Extreme Turbo Systems

This is their newer website which does not say it, but I don't think they've changed their kits. I'd get in touch with them and double check, but I think that one of the 7" kits will work.
(95-99) 2G DSM Eclipse/Talon Intercooler Kits

The stud kit it was on the web site together with EDFC Controller, Tein EDFC Stepping Motor Kit and Tein EDFC Strut Kit. I don't know exactly what i need from here to make it work with TEIN FLEX Coilover. Maybe only the EDFC controller and Motor kit? I need some help here too.:D But defenetly i need this kit because of the roads we heve them here. It will be nice to be able to adjust the suspension witout going around the car.

Ah, strut kit. Your kit should only include the EDFC controller and 4 motors. That is all you should need (and that is all I have installed in my car).

I thought if i'm buying the regulator kit and fuel filter..it will be nice to have a new fuel rail. It was a little bit for bling bling also...but i didn't know that the stock one is that good and can handle big injectors.

If it's for bling, then by all means, go ahead if you want to spend the money. I'm just trying to help you save some by not purchasing essential items.

Here is because Rotora is the only company who make big rotors sloted and drilled. I want a good looking exterior..and very good brakes...and it's bigest possible since i'll run 18' rims from OZ. Power is nothing without control..right?:p

Do you have a link to the Rotora kits you want to buy? I would suggest not getting drilled rotors as they have a tendency to crack. Most companies do the cross drilling after making the rotor, which makes the rotor weaker. Slotted rotors are fine as they are made like that. I would still check out the TCE kits as you can get drilled/slotted for an extra $135 if you're really set on them. But if you can find me some specs on the Rotora's, that'd be great as I can compare them to the TCE kit. There are other kits out there as well, but from my reading the TCE kits are awesome.

First i was thinking at LC-1 Cable with bosch sensor..but after some search i think i'm going with AEM.

If this is solely based on price, then that's fine. I (and the makers of ECMlink) prefer the LC-1 unit as it is more accurate and much easier to integrate into ECMlink.

I don't know. I have to figure this out. Maybe the Megan Racing or the B&M( i think i've read some good things about this one)

I have the B&M and love it!

Because of the roads we have i chose prothane bushings. I don't know if is a real deal...but if will last more then normal ruber bushing..maybe is good to have it...if is not affecting the comfort. And if i got this..i was thinking to get the motor mounting kit..because mine are a little bit damaged.

For the full kit, this will definitely make your ride harsher, not more comfortable.

For the motor mount kit, that is good thinking if your stock rubber bushings are damaged. But which bushings are damaged? If it is either the front or back, you should get a whole new motor mount since the Prothanes are just inserts for these. The side mounts get fully replaced, but the front and back are just additional support./

This is a really good advice. What to you think about the Topline complete gasket kit?

I have no experience with Topline gasket kits. You'd have to do some research on this. I prefer OEM parts myself, even if they are a bit more money.

I bought few weeks ago those rims Oz Ultraleggera 18' with 43 offset. Hope i can use them with Tein suspension. I'm afraid that the height of the car will drop with 1.8(45mm) in front and 1.5(38mm) in rear after install. In the same time...i was wandering from where i can buy a spare tire(donut wheel)...and if something like this cand be found in a bigger size then factory one.

I honestly have nothing to add as snowborder714 seems to have covered all of the bases LOL. Whichever route you decide to go sir I would love to help you out. I can get everything on your list, and I guarantee the best prices around! Not to mention we can ship internationally at very good rates from either USPS or Fedex. Good luck with your build and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Chris Carey
[email protected]

I honestly have nothing to add as snowborder714 seems to have covered all of the bases LOL. Whichever route you decide to go sir I would love to help you out. I can get everything on your list, and I guarantee the best prices around! Not to mention we can ship internationally at very good rates from either USPS or Fedex. Good luck with your build and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Chris Carey
[email protected]

Thanks a lot. I really apreciate it. Let see what exactly i'm gonna need...and we can talk about it after. Keep in touch!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back