The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

subwoofer question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst98Tfast

10+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2011
tucson, Arizona
hey i have 2 12" kicker subs in my truck and just getting old and to heavy for my car I am thinking on selling them. But also I was wondering if I could move them into my living room and attach them to my surround sound. Anyone know if i can and if need any other devices besides my amp i have??

You may want to only use 1 of the subs in a ported box, and look for a powered sub amp. I have used an old computer power supply, ran one of the 12v wires to the amp, and powered normal speakers. You will basically need to do the same. I bought a 10" Polk Audio HT powered sub and its more than enough for my 168sqft living room, and can be heard through my 1200sqft house (not big, I know).

Most people don't do it because it doesn't give you the sound you may think you'd get, and you could sell those 2 subs, in the box, and buy a decent powered sub. Got my PSW10 on amazon for $85 on sale, now $199 on sale.

Maybe somebody on here has had a better experience.

alright ya i was just wondering if i should keep my subs or sell them and you answered it thanks

I just used a lawnmower battery connected to a trickle charger. Worked GREAT. I was using a synergy 800w 12" subwoofer on a Wal-Mart "Dual" brand 400w AMP cause I'm poor, and the result was spectacular. Not the best thing in the world, but was cool for the time-being.

You'll just need a

12v lawn-mower battery $45
Trickle Charger $30
RCA Splitter $5

and bam, or rather, BOOM.

I just went with the battery method because I figured there would be more overall electricity available. I know someone on here can probably come up with a mathematical breakdown of using a computer 12v vs a battery 12v.

I know someone on here can probably come up with a mathematical breakdown of using a computer 12v vs a battery 12v.

I'd hope not haha. I had a spare one and knew that all I had to do was plug it into the wall and put a switch on it and would get 12v. Such small wire gauge won't carry as much current as what you'd have in your car, so it may not even work. I've only used it for an outdoor speaker solution.

I'd hope not haha. I had a spare one and knew that all I had to do was plug it into the wall and put a switch on it and would get 12v. Such small wire gauge won't carry as much current as what you'd have in your car, so it may not even work. I've only used it for an outdoor speaker solution.

I see LOL.

I just did it because I figured that if it worked in the car, it would work in the house. If you do it right, the setup could actually be legit. (Soldered connections, proper connectors etc.)

ok so to power it get a 12v cord to ground but then how would i connect it to the system i have now inside?

Bad idea impedance wrong, a home speaker is usually 8ohms and your is probably 4 so make a 8ohm load and try not to blast it inside and have fun

Car subwoofer are made for cars and not for rooms, i have tried that, and the sounds quality was pretty bad even compared to my Kenwood passive sub that came in 5.1 surround sound. I would also suggest to sell it and get something for room purposes :). Good luck

I will triple the impedence comment glad someone mentioned that. Your subs could be 2ohm as well which could really cause some issues when your receiver designed to run 8ohm and maybe could be stable at 4 ohms. Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components and buy a cheap but good quality woofer and build your own box. You can buy an 8ohm woofer and then it would run fine. Just a thought.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back