The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shop advice in Md

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsimom

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2005
westminster, Maryland
96 tsi awd auto. I have all kinds of oil leaks and need timing belt, water pump,done. Starting to think that I would be better off with a whole new longblock. The 7 bolt in it now has 109,000 miles on it and it has been good to me but I am sure it is tired and stressed. I try not to drive it much because it loses oil constantly at this point. I could do several things. I have access to 2 6 bolts but am not sure if they are any good.I also have a spare clean block head and crank but would need the rest of the parts to build an engine. Or maybe an already built motor would be the way to go. Before you ask I can not do any of the work myself. Just looking for input suggestions and ideas from those who know better than me. As stated I am in Maryland. I do not race but I do like to put the youngsters in their hondas in their places. My future plans include to replace my auto with an IPT tranny. And dsmlink with my fuel upgrades that I have not installed yet until I can decide what to do with my engine. Thanks in advance for any input. Also anyone outside of a shop that wants the work and pay would be welcome as well.

I live in southern maryland. About 10 minutes from solomons island. I am kind of confused on the information you've given. Do you have a good block available? or a good 6bolt engine available? I see you said you are not sure if they are good, can you check on that and find out if they are.

If you'd like, I dont have a shop, I work out of my garage, but I'd be willing to do the work for you cheaper then ANY shop around here would be willing to touch it for.

or we could slap on the rebuilt head sitting in my garage with 0 miles on it. With a gasket set, timing parts, and water pump, etc you would be good to go...

I have both. I have a bare block and crank and alot of the 1g into a 2g parts. I also have a parts car that has a 6bolt engine in it but it has not been started or used in over a year. That is why i do not know what shape it is in. I am in Westminster in Northwest Md. Just not sure which direction to go in. I really do not want to have to wait until this engine blows which is why I am looking into alternatives at this point. I am tempted to just get a longblock from somewhere and just get the swap done.That may be the quickest but not necessarily the least expensive option. Or just get the present engine repaired. I have an auto tranny. Just sort of afraid that if I get this 7 bolt in the car done that it will die anyway. Just know that the time to get this decision made is nearing. I have a 15 y/o that when he turns 16 his car insurance will probably take any extra funds available. My options are 1. Get my 7 bolt reaired that has 109,000 miles on it 2. Replace with a new longblock from somewhere.3. Rebuild a parts car motor with 122,000 miles on it. 4. Build an engine from scratch (still need to decide what pistons, rods etc. I also have 3 cylinder heads to decide what to do with(yeah I got alot of parts here). Before you wonder I have an 18 y/o that we were going to build cars together. He and I have had a falling out and are no longer on speaking terms. That is another story. I probably could sell alot of the stuff that I have here and it would fund an engine rebuild. But I have 3 dsms and 1 is for my 15y/o. It was a running car till my 18y/o got ahold of it.

I dont know if you have heard of the barnes family, but they do really good engine work for a very reasonable price. Justin, the main guy who builds engines, has rebuilt so many of these engines it is not even funny. He is putting together my stroker motor for me right now and he will do 6 bolt swaps into 2nd gens but he asks a lot for this because it is a pain in the ass. So basically if you where to bring him your car he could rebuild that engine for you or do the 6 bolt swap for you. He charges like 600 to pull the motor and rebuild it and put it back in for you. (you pay for parts) So you would just have to drop it off with new rods(eagle rods go for 300-400), pistons(400+),bearings(40-50), and rings (90 direct from weisco) and he would do the rest for you. He also has a crap load of used parts if you want to get them from him for cheap, We send them to a good machine shop to make sure they are still good. The only problem is he has no phone so i basically handle the whole setting things up for him. You can call me at 410-533-1614 and ask for josh if you are interested.

How about this. Do a compression test on the engine in the 1g that hasnt been started in over a year. If the compression is good. You pull the engine, bring it to me, we replace all gaskets and seals, etc, pop it in the 2g...and bam you got a 6 bolt in a 2g. Let me know if you are interested.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back