The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Sad day for AMS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Such is business. You have to follow the money I suppose. Which seems to be GTRs and Porsche's for AMS.

Wait a minute, when did you become a mod housegsx? Congrats!

Anyways, that's how it works. Unless there is a increase of demand for certain parts there is almost no reason to sink money unless there is profit to be made.

Besides, we're cheap sometimes :p

usually young ppl are the ones that spend the little money they have on cheap ebay parts for their DSM and expect to run low 11s or to go toe to toe with the big boys...

Such is business. You have to follow the money I suppose. Which seems to be GTRs and Porsche's for AMS.

Exactly, they've got a business to run, and there's no $ in DSMs.

We truly are a dying breed.

To tell you the truth, I am surprised that more companies haven't stopped catering to the DSM crowd. What was previously stated in this thread is true. Most of the people that own a DSM now tend to be of the younger crowd and are not willing to spend the money for parts that were created through the result of extensive research and development. I am in for the long haul with mine and am now making it a point to purchase any parts that will be difficult to find over the next few years.

i totally agree^^ i feel like were the next era of muscle cars, think about it?how hard is it to buy 2g awd rear axels or ANYTHING 2g AWD for that matter.I'm also trying to buy parts thats are getting harder to come by so im in it also for the long run DSMFTW:hellyeah::hellyeah: so fellow DSM'ers get them while you can becuase we are headed the way of the muscle cars.Think about it:ohdamn:

I think our fate is worse then that of the muscle cars. Their value increases with age. They also still have huge aftermarket support such as Year One. You can still get trims pieces, ashtrays, basically anything. Reproduction body panels, etc. I dont know if we will be that lucky, to be able to do a frame up resto on these cars in another 10-15 years.

Maybe we should petition year one to pick up our platform haha.

Year One would laugh so hard the may have to take a day off. Evos are soon to be replaced with a 4gAAA battery engine. It does suck to lose a vendor but with places like STM, Magnus etc I really don't think it effect anything. Good luck to AMS on tuning the "top end" cars.

No, we won't be as lucky as the old musclecar guys. Those cars have wayyyyy more parts available for their cars than we do. We should feel lucky if we can just have Datsun 510 or 240Z status as the years pass. Face it folks, our community's unwillingness to pay a decent price for a product is only going to ensure that most of the DSM vendors stop catering to us eventually. That's why I've said over and over, support the vendors that support this community as much as you can. Don't scour ebay to save a few bucks (though I'll admit I've been guilty of this sometimes myself). Once the vendors (who make the parts that ebay companies copy) stop making parts for us, there won't be any ebay parts to buy. If you want to have parts available for a long time to come, don't be a cheap ass. Patronize the vendors who post in our Vendor forum, and don't try to talk them down to save a few dollars every single time. Visit the vendors on this list and buy from them:
DSMtuners Supporting Vendors

It may not seem like you're doing much, but it keeps their confidence in our market. If you don't want to have to pay someone to custom fabricate everything for your DSM eventually, the best thing you can do is support the vendors we have left. AMS is just the tip of the iceberg here folks. All your favorite vendors will follow suit eventually if we keep demanding they sell parts at margins that don't make business sense.

DSM parts are extremely cheap, especially considering the small volume that is sold in this market. Honda parts might be cheaper, but that's because there is tons more sold. Modding cars is expensive. Keep that in mind as you haggle with a vendor over a few bucks.

Well said, Chris.

Anyone also notice FFWD will no longer be building engines for us. Pretty sad since that is where one of mine is from. :cry: I've always tried to support as many vendors as I can. I even spent $1200 on just my gauges. Can't call me a cheap DSMer.

I definitely try my hardest to support most of our vendors. Sometimes just being able to talk to someone about the part I am about to invest my hard earn money with is priceless. Most of the vendors on this forum have great costumer service.

I have owned my DSM since 01 and I plan on being buried in it. LIVE LONG THE DSM

Ive had very good experiences with STM and Extremepsi. Nice web sites, great prices, customer service. Fast shipping. No complaints yet. Anything not on the classifieds or on those two sites, i probably don't need haha.

i honestly feel these are OUR muscle cars.Look at how muscle cars were a VERY small part of the car market back in the days. Granted the 4g63 will never be a Chevy small block but all the camaro's and chevelle's ,HELL even the HEMI cuda' were about 1% percent of the whole car market and 40 years later those so called cheap Chevy's command a VERY High price. We(DSM's) are the only so called "import" that's MADE IN AMERICA.On the same note i agree that we need to stop being cheap with parts but the average person who owns a DSM can't afford $950.00 for a top mount exhaust manifold from STM. Not to knock them but in THIS economy who can afford that and still DD there DSM with a part time job?we should'nt cut corners on quality but come on!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for ordering at a known Vendor. It was tempting to order something like a Megan Racing exhaust off ebay because of the price, but I sucked it up and bought a Thermal R&D from ExtremePSI because I want a quality piece, as well as true customer service if something goes wrong.

AMS was always Evo's though. They did some DSM stuff, but mostly they built their reps off of the Evo's they built. It sucks they're gone, but they're still gods when it comes to building and tuning, and will still be able to do that for us. They just don't offer sales of DSM parts anymore. When vendors like ExtremePSI stop carrying DSM parts is when we need to get scared. I personally only think we have a good 5, maybe 10 years left before the DSM aftermarket is pretty much done. That's why I'm pushing hard to get everything I want to get done to my car done in the next 2-3 years.

They still give a 10% discount to military members, that alone will keep me browsing their site for some things.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the same note i agree that we need to stop being cheap with parts but the average person who owns a DSM can't afford $950.00 for a top mount exhaust manifold from STM. Not to knock them but in THIS economy who can afford that and still DD there DSM with a part time job?
Two points on this line of thinking - that's the cost of a quality top mount manifold, if it's too expensive, your upgrade path shouldn't include one. But that leads to the second point - most DSMers often try to take short cuts and buy cheap knock-off parts when they can't afford the quality pieces on the market, instead of just changing their upgrade path to a more modest route where they could still afford quality parts, just not the crazy top mount exhaust manifold. They will buy an ebay FMIC or tubular exhaust piece, when the shops that are producing parts directly for us are having their designs copied and sold for much less money. Mod within your means and buy better parts.

Why do you think Andrew Brilliant (an aero engineer and DSM race car driver) will never mass produce the hoods and aero parts he designed for his 2g? He said it himself - he refuses to put all the work and money into it only to have the design copied, made less functional, and sold for less, and then sit back and watch DSMers eat up the lower priced versions. It just doesn't make good business sense. And with the typical mindset of the average DSMer these day, I fear that it will make less and less business sense to cater to this market.

Companies like Shearer, a well respected DSM fab shop, are cutting down their products for this market - hell, I even had to beg Ron to keep making stuff for this market at one point recently. We'll see how long he continues to do so. We might have a few more small start-ups who take the baton when the big shops leave, but how long until they learn the same lesson and move on as well?

Bottom line is, we're making our own bed. These cars will never share the same fate as muscle cars at this rate. Especially not when the new muscle car era is booming. I fear these cars will simply go the way of the old RX7 and Supra. They'll be cool when you see them around, but there won't be some crazy resurgence. And there won't be companies like Year One producing parts for them like crazy. In order for that to happen, a LOT more people with disposable income need to start buying them. And by looking at the last 10 year trend, that just aint happenin'.

Do what you can - support the DSM vendors. :thumb:

Modding cars is expensive, but people need to realize that modding cars is a luxury. I know there are a huge portion of car people that are cheap because they buy car parts with rent money or money for groceries. Nickel and dime-ing vendors to save a couple bucks won't build a good relationship and you won't get very far.

Modding cars is expensive, but people need to realize that modding cars is a luxury. I know there are a huge portion of car people that are cheap because they buy car parts with rent money or money for groceries. Nickel and dime-ing vendors to save a couple bucks won't build a good relationship and you won't get very far.

I completely agree. People using their student loan money is another big one. Paying interest on car parts is not a very smart move.

Ive put off series build thoughts until my wife and i finish school. Just super clean and "stockish" is plenty for me right now. Because i know when we finish school all the vendors will hear from me haha.

Priorities..people complaining about about dsm parts prices are ridiculous. Ludachris is spot on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back