The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Noob considering buying my first DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Santelmann

Probationary Member
Dec 1, 2018
Dunn, North_Carolina
I really want to buy a DSM! GST, GSX, TSI, Laser or whatever else is equivalent to those.

I was a Honda, Acura guy, and I’ve had my fun with a Mustang GT too. I’ve experienced stupid fast with a boosted Suzuki GSX-R1000. ^ im really not in to these anymore. I own a bone stock TSX that’s gonna stay that way.

I don’t know much about DSM’s.. I want something clean, reliable, and fun to drive with about 200-250whp. Something I can take care of, but I care about the car too.

This is not a WTB thread. I’m just curious as to what kind of DSM I could get, if I were to budget about $4,200 on one.

I’d prefer a 2G, even though they have the crank issue. I’m not concerned with that. I’d take a 1G too though?

Could $4000 buy a really clean DSM with nice paint, interior, and a good running reliable car? I just hate junky looking cars. I’ve dealt with fast and ugly to much LOL. And I never seem to get them pretty.

What should I look for in a DSM?

I’ve never owned a turbo car before, and I think a DSM is the most affordable way to get in to one.

A GS-T/GSX seems pretty light! At only 2,800 pounds and 210hp. Even stock these are awesome cars. I just want something reliable, and fun to drive, and looks nice too. If it has some performance add on’s that is fine.

I just seem lost looking at these cars.

A GSX will be around 31-3200 lbs. $4,200 could get you a nice one to start with.

I found a super clean Eclipse GS-T, a 1995 with 155k miles. It is being sold by a dealer, so it is all freshly detailed and Super clean inside and out. Carfax shows 1 owner, no accidents, and a ton of maintenance done on the car. It is bone stock! Wheels and all!

It is $3,800. It is a base GST, coupe, cloth interior.

If timing belt and such are serviced, and all is running well, is it safe to beat on these cars LOL? I feel like I’d be afraid of crankwalk everytime I drive it hard LOL. Is there any warning when it is going to occur?

Should I buy a spare 4g63, (7) bolt?

I’m dead set on a DSM, I have always wanted to get in to them. I guess any car can have crank bearing issues.

I found a super clean Eclipse GS-T, a 1995 with 155k miles. It is being sold by a dealer, so it is all freshly detailed and Super clean inside and out. Carfax shows 1 owner, no accidents, and a ton of maintenance done on the car. It is bone stock! Wheels and all!

It is $3,800. It is a base GST, coupe, cloth interior.

If timing belt and such are serviced, and all is running well, is it safe to beat on these cars LOL? I feel like I’d be afraid of crankwalk everytime I drive it hard LOL. Is there any warning when it is going to occur?

Should I buy a spare 4g63, (7) bolt?

I’m dead set on a DSM, I have always wanted to get in to them. I guess any car can have crank bearing issues.

Crankwalk isnt as common as forums will lead you to believe. The problem is with people who have engine failure and immediately use crankwalk as their scapegoat when lack of maintenance/carelessness with the car was the true killer. I just finished rebuilding a 7 bolt 95 long block that I picked up for $400 from a local DSM'er and there were zero issues with crank clearances.

Fact of the matter, is these cars are just like any other 20 year old vehicle, be prepared to spend some money on maintenance before even thinking of considering it reliable.

What jinscho just told you above is absolutely correct. Crankwalk is WAY over discussed. It's more common on earlier 7-bolt motors than later ones. I've been a DSM owner for 18 years and I've yet to actually meet someone in person who had a crankwalk issue. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it certainly would not deter me from buying a car.

As far as your 4 grand question goes - it's hard to answer. Cars vary a lot in value depending upon where you live. Definitely look at the inside of the shock towers in the front and rear - these cars are NOTORIOUS for rusting out there. Do a Google image search and you'll see what I mean. Also, if it's a dealership, see if they'll let you take it for a day. Park it for several hours and throw some cardboard underneath the drivers side. These cars tend leak oil on the timing belt side when not maintained well. Spotting is a dead give away. Again, it wouldn't prevent me from buying the car unless it was excessive, but you'll know to replace the timing components and associated gaskets.

That said, that kind of price for a bone stock DSM - if it all checks out - I'd buy it. It's hard to find bone stock non-abused 2G's these days. We have Fast and Furious to thank for that.

I paid ~$5000 for my 98 Talon AWD this summer. It ran ok and shell was in good condition no rust. These cars are pushing 20+ years though so expect to invest time and money to get it in ship shape. I tracked down several boost leaks. Did all the maintenance items that are listed to do on this site and I’m just now starting to get into performance parts. Had some unexpected part failures due to 20 year old oem equipment crapping the bed. I think at this point I’m closer to $9k all in just to right the ship.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back